Overlanding with a Kayak

• HTML tutorial

Wired_

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I bought a front runner roof rack with kayak holders and I love it! I have been in 50MPH Winds on a freeway and down some of the bumpiest trails with no bouncing of rattling or anything. I am very impressed with the setup

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I made a kayak rack for my Jeep Comanche yesterday.

Today we went to the "Lock n' Paddle" kayak/canoe event at the lift locks in Peterborough, Ontario.

1 minute Parks Canada video of last year's event …

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I'm really enjoying the stand up rack. makes strapping it down a lot easier still need to get another one so i can get 3 kayaks up there .one problem around here is most trails and forest roads have a lot of low having trees so i have to lay both down and just strap it to the rack or it would probobly have a ton of vegitation attached to it by tge time i got to a lake . 20180623_160026.jpg

Reactions: Phessor

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

We almost always take the YAK's with us. I do allot of kayak fishing on a few small lakes. We bought Perception "Tribes" which are sit-on and stack-able for day trips on the river and for the fishing. They are definitely recreational boats, also have a old Grumman wide body canoe for the longer paddles across open water. Have not broke down and dropped the cash for carbon fiber paddles but agree with your logic.
Nice piece, looking forward to more.
I have never seen kayaks on a Mini!! Today was the day!!

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Great Post!!! I love my overlanding rig, however I have what most would say the "overwater rig" the Liquid Logic XP10. You can pack everything in this boat. Paired with my overlanding rig I can just about go anywhere! I did a 7 day total self support trip on the Buffalo River here in Arkansas and it was absolutely amazing!!!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I love kayaks and canoes and have a fair bit of experience exploring and even camping from both, in days gone by. My recent Overwater Bound rig is this:
Mariner.jpg
Intex Mariner 3. I bought the motor mount for it, and along with a few mods, I plan to fit a 4hp 2 stroke motor for extended range.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I love kayaks and canoes and have a fair bit of experience exploring and even camping from both, in days gone by. My recent Overwater Bound rig is this:
View attachment 91432
Intex Mariner 3. I bought the motor mount for it, and along with a few mods, I plan to fit a 4hp 2 stroke motor for extended range.
I bet your kids are enjoying having that in the living room to play with!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I bet your kids are enjoying having that in the living room to play with!
Lol it was only there for a few minutes after
bedtime for the pic, but I'm planning to take them out for its maiden voyage pretty soon, maybe even Sunday or Monday if the weather is good.

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

For those who enjoy fishing, I highly recommend trying a pedal-driven yak (if budget allows). Pedaling with your feet frees up your hands to continue fishing, it really makes a world of difference. You can (and will) still utilize a paddle occasionally, but a pedal drives change the entire experience.

They’re expensive, not for anything but relatively still water, are higher maintenance, and heavy enough that roof top carry is all but impossible. And they’re totally worth it.
I saw a few pics of pedal drives above, so some of you know what I’m talking about :grinning:

Here is my current, a Pescador Pilot Pro. Since this pic I’ve added a lot of accessories to make it my own.

And here is the model I plan on adding to the stable next, a Hobie Pro Angler:

FYI- Academy carries Pelican, and they have a cheap (by comparison) pedal-drive yak that uses what looks suspiciously similar to Hobie’s Mirage Drive, but that’s because they copied the older version on which the patents have expired. So basically it uses the Mirage Drive from 20+ years ago.

Last edited:

Frisko

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Höfingen, Leonberg, Germany
First Name
Johannes
Last Name
Droigk
Member #

Kayaks on the Jeep - the rest in the trailer. Exploring Lofoten Islands in northern Norway

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Paddling around Lofoten islands is also one entry on my "there I have to paddle" list :grinning:. My last visit in Norway was already too long ago. Really have to go back there. Such a beautiful country.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not strictly a kayak, but I have my hybrid 14' Hornbeck Nomad Solo/Tandem with me on every adventure. It's a carbon fiber/kevlar matrix, weighs only 28lbs (yeah, I know, incredible - I can pick it up with one hand), and is best used with a kayak paddle not traditional canoe paddle.

I've got it set up with oar locks, too, for rowing and 'greater ease in fishing', though have to admit I'm not sure just how it's supposed to aid using my boat for fishing. Perhaps because it keeps it from drifting as much or you can row easier with one hand than you can paddle with one hand. Anyone with greater wisdom, I'm all ears on the subject.

Stays on my trailer full-time, or can go on my van racks, too. I absolutely LOVE it and have been out on the water paddling and fishing more in the last fifteen months since I got it than in any ten years previous. Because it is symmetrical from end to end, I can switch it easily from solo to tandem and still be balanced in the water, so my kid or a friend can go out with me, which I do a lot.

Though best for flatwater, I'm planning on getting it out in the large tidal Back Cove (a mile in diameter) in town sometime soon. It is narrow for a canoe, not beamy at all at under 30" wide, and with it's cool design of a sort of keel fore and aft but flat-bottomed otherwise glides and tracks like a champ.

I'm also rigging up a trailer so I can tow it with my bike to put in at places I can't get to with trailer or van, and I'm rigging up a cover to shed rain that will snug up around me while paddling and to cover gear for overnight canoe camping on islands, etc.

roaddude_hornbeck-800-9075.jpg
This shot always reminds me of Viking imagery.

limitedhorizons_0704-1028.jpg
Fishing at dawn last week in New Hampshire. I kept trying to get right out in the mist rising, but as I approached it was like my arrival made it dissipate.

ashore_1056-1028.jpg
Pulled up on shore, again last week in New Hampshire, ready to go. SO nice to camp near the lake and be able to slip right in the water as many times a day as I want.

roaddude_hornbeck-islandcamp-900-0788.jpg
Island Camping. This was just for napping and rigging gear. I cooked and had my latrine a good ways back from shore.

xv2-packedandready_8850crop-1028.jpg
Loaded up and ready to roll. I'd like to find a better way to haul it, especially for those times when I stop and need to get into trailer or nose box, but this is the easiest and most efficient, and safest way for my canoe I've been able to figure yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCO6