Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I saw a thread on ovelanding with the family, but nobody has really said anything about overlanding with a baby. I'm talking 3yo and under.

My wife and I want to start camping and traveling again pretty quickly after baby comes in February (baby comes in late Feb and we have a trip planned for the end of April). What are your tips, tricks, and stories on the topic?

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

We were out camping May long weekend with our 2yr old and 6 month old.. it snowed but luckily we were in the trailer with a furnace.. since then we've been out a dozen times more- they are 4 and 2 now.

Our tricks so far; take lots of books, colouring, inside toys, and lots of buckets, shovels, and cars that don't mind getting dirty.
Food prep has to be quick and easy, lots of snacks too.
Extra clothes, I feel silly loading up mitts and toques into the trailer while it's sunny out but little ones need to stay warm.

Friends did a tenting trip with their little one, and she slept in a low rubbermaid tote (no lid of course) in the tent.. I thought that was ingenious.

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Following this as I have a newborn and need all the advice I can get lol

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

We were out camping May long weekend with our 2yr old and 6 month old.. it snowed but luckily we were in the trailer with a furnace.. since then we've been out a dozen times more- they are 4 and 2 now.

Our tricks so far; take lots of books, colouring, inside toys, and lots of buckets, shovels, and cars that don't mind getting dirty.
Food prep has to be quick and easy, lots of snacks too.
Extra clothes, I feel silly loading up mitts and toques into the trailer while it's sunny out but little ones need to stay warm.

Friends did a tenting trip with their little one, and she slept in a low rubbermaid tote (no lid of course) in the tent.. I thought that was ingenious.
I was trying to figure out how we would fit a pack n play in the tent. That tote idea is GENIUS!

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

We had a snuggie that had no arms and was insulated like a jacket, we called it the worm.. It was perfect for a 6 month old at night - We carried the playpen up until last summer. We have to figure something else out this year.

Those same friends use a milkcrate for their kids in the canoe, keep them contained, still, and safe- with lifejacket of course.. We're going paddling this year, started lessons on sitting still already.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

My boys are 3 and 1.. By camping weather they will be almost 4 and 2. This year should be a good year to get them started in camping!

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I've been wondering about this lately myself. The wife and I are trying to start a family and can't wait to bring the little ones on adventures

Reactions: Justin_0237

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

The other thing I did last summer with the gang of kids (1yo, 2 3yo, 5yo) was to make a scavenger hunt, got four paper bags, taped something like this on the sides;

Then walked around filling the bags.. it was a blast, they had tons of fun, and I got to teach them about plants, tracks, bugs, etc.. They are still talking about it 6 months later..

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Our 2 year old has several thousand miles of trails under her belt. She an exceptional traveler.
The short survival list:
Big Tent
Pack and play
Quality air mattress
Extra clothes, no seriously, EXTRA clothes. Several pairs of shoes. Rubber boots help when they want to play in puddles.
Ipad/tablet with games and videos
DVD player
Coloring books
Toys
Kid backpack (the one they ride in)
Assortment of kid medications

Congrats on the little one again. Life will never be the same. If you come through NM make sure you hit us up!

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I have a 3yo and a 3 month old. The baby was 6 weeks old on her first trip, in November, in Washington. We rented a small travel trailer for that trip because she was so small, but come summer she will be in the tent like her brother was at 6 months. Like everyone else said, big tent, lots pf extra clothes, TOWELS and blankets. We also bring special snacks, shovels, buckets, balls, sunscreen, extra wipes. Embrace the dirt though, expect to have filthy kids. Child carriers are essential if you want to hike or anything, the younger you get the. Started the better. My 3yo has done 12 mi hikes in one no problem. This last trip he got his own sleeping bag which he was really excited about. He also has his own headlamp, lantern and camp chair. Things like that make it more special, and more fun. iPad mounted to the back of the seat in front of him is a life saver on long stretches in the car. We put it away at camp though. Think of all the stuff you like to do at camp, they will like it too. Being a parent is really an excuse to be a kid again. It's a blast! Also plan quiet stuff to do while the baby sleeps, like card games. My wife is really into baby wearing, which sounds kind of hippie, but really works well for the baby and the parents. I've waxed skis while wearing a baby. The baby sleeps, stays warm and your hands are free. Supposedly it does all kinds of great things for the kids emotional development too. That's my wife's deal though. I just know it's convient. Camping with little ones changes camping, but it's really cool to watch them fall in love with it and have a great time in the outdoors. My son would rather have a stick and some dirt to dig in than anything else, and nothing beats him cuddling in with me to look at the stars next to the fire.

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

My wife is really into baby wearing, which sounds kind of hippie, but really works well for the baby and the parents. I've waxed skis while wearing a baby. The baby sleeps, stays warm and your hands are free. Supposedly it does all kinds of great things for the kids emotional development too. That's my wife's deal though. I just know it's convient.
We plan on baby wearing as well. I am looking forward to getting some fly tying done while she sleeps, at home. Seems like a silly thing to look forward to, but it's one thing that popped into my head when we got the mobi wrap.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We plan on baby wearing as well. I am looking forward to getting some fly tying done while she sleeps, at home. Seems like a silly thing to look forward to, but it's one thing that popped into my head when we got the mobi wrap.
Hope it works for you. Our little girl wasn't having it. She's been independent from birth!

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I wired the rear facing auxiliary lights and the license plate light on my Jeep while wearing my daughter. We have a bunch of different wraps and carriers for the baby. The wraps seem to work better with new borns. We have stretchy wraps and woven wraps that don't stretch, then we have carriers that can be worn with baby in front or on your back when they get bigger and then finally we have the big child carrier backpack that is great for hiking. It has room for a camelback bladder and daypack like storage and is good until your kid is like 50lbs. When my wife first told me about the baby wearing thing I thought it was kind of hippie and weird, but it's been a life saver to be honest. There are times when that's the only way to get the kid to sleep or the only way to get anything done. If all the stuff my wife says is true about the benefits like better bonding, and what not then all the better, but for me, it's easier to do things with your baby. If you wear the baby in public be prepared for some looks. People give my wife a second glance when she does it, I get straight gawked at when I do it. Apparently as a father you are not supposed to care for your child like that. I even had a guy in Home Depot ask me if I breastfeed too. I replied with a great comment about his mother that isn't appropriate for this forum. But hey, screw em. I've done a lot of "manly" things, but nothing is more masculine than being a good father.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

I've done a lot of "manly" things, but nothing is more masculine than being a good father.
QFT right there.
We had an Ergo, it was great for getting out and exploring when the kids were little.. These days they insist on being on the ground to get into everything.. fine by me.

Our 4 year old tells me when to go "4-low!" from the backseat.. haha and his 2 year old sister argues for "2 wheel slides" #Kidswhowheel..

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Yes, to all of the above. Get the kids outdoors early. It will just become a regular part of what you do. It will teach them independence and responsibility. The dirt is free, which is a good thing considering how much of it they will wear! We have three boys, age 11 and under. Our boys are best described as 'noise, with dirt on it!' They love getting out and doing stuff.
I also agree with the backpack carriers for little ones - they saved camping and hiking for us to still do with the kid(s) tagging along.

Reactions: DintDobbs

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

image.jpeg So today we went on a family adventure like we do every weekend. The wife and I talked about where we were going, how far we would be hiking, how much elevation gain, etc and decided we didn't need to take the hiking pack for our 3 year old, we figured he would be able to walk just fine. So I loaded up my trusty Triple Aught Designs Fast Pack EDC with everything we would need for the day, about 20lbs of first aid kit, emergency kit, spare clothes(for the kids) diapers, wipes, formula, snacks, apple juice and water and we jumped in the Jeep. I will first admit that I have a gear problem, I have a lot of it, I'm always looking at stuff I don't have, I buy a lot of high end stuff that I probably don't use to its potential. So far my Triple Aught Design pack has fit this bill. Today I far exceeded anything the designers could have thought of. Thank god for that beaver tail and the made in America quality. The money I spent for just in case bomb proof gear paid off! Also check out my member patch!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
View attachment 1950 So today we went on a family adventure like we do every weekend. The wife and I talked about where we were going, how far we would be hiking, how much elevation gain, etc and decided we didn't need to take the hiking pack for our 3 year old, we figured he would be able to walk just fine. So I loaded up my trusty Triple Aught Designs Fast Pack EDC with everything we would need for the day, about 20lbs of first aid kit, emergency kit, spare clothes(for the kids) diapers, wipes, formula, snacks, apple juice and water and we jumped in the Jeep. I will first admit that I have a gear problem, I have a lot of it, I'm always looking at stuff I don't have, I buy a lot of high end stuff that I probably don't use to its potential. So far my Triple Aught Design pack has fit this bill. Today I far exceeded anything the designers could have thought of. Thank god for that beaver tail and the made in America quality. The money I spent for just in case bomb proof gear paid off! Also check out my member patch!
This is epic.