Launch Member

Influencer II

Concord, California, United States
First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

The other thing I did last summer with the gang of kids (1yo, 2 3yo, 5yo) was to make a scavenger hunt, got four paper bags, taped something like this on the sides;

Then walked around filling the bags.. it was a blast, they had tons of fun, and I got to teach them about plants, tracks, bugs, etc.. They are still talking about it 6 months later..
This is awesome. I can't wait to show my wife this!

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

We have taken our son out a few times now and everyone in the club knows him now. He is almost 3 now but we've taken him camping since he was 2. He loves being in the car. Sometimes we just give him the iPhone. Bring some indoor toys, he loves digging and pouring so buckets and shovels. and snacks like someone said. this is a great thread.

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

Well it finally happened, we took our 5 month old daughter camping and some mild off-roading. Overall mission was successful and everyone had a great time.

Dude!! What is that camp hi-chair? That's sweet!! Glad it worked out well. I'm trying to see if I can take my 10 day old out. Too soon?

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dude!! What is that camp hi-chair? That's sweet!! Glad it worked out well. I'm trying to see if I can take my 10 day old out. Too soon?
I'd say your baby is about 9 days overdo for camping haha
I attached the picture of the hi chair, it actually works great and she'll be able to use it for at least two more years according to the label.

Reactions: BEAR

Adventureswithlaylay

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Van nuys
Member #

Me and my wife have been on many trips together and now with our 5 month old princess we haven't slowed down. She goes everywhere with us. Sleeps like a rock through trails and has a blast taking in the scenery. Few tips we've come up with is always keep your child cool and hydrated. A hot sweaty child is a fussy child. 2nd is bring things that we'll distract them and keep them entertained on long drives or when you need some time to cook up a meal or something. And lastly keep your child comfortable. I sleep on the floor wife sleeps in a sleeping bag and my daughter sleeps on 2 mats and sleeping bag under her. My daughter gets really mean without her naps so we try to keep her schedule. But no matter what have fun ,it's a blast seeing your kid soak it all in [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Reactions: Lipek and BEAR

BEAR

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Barron
Last Name
Flanders
Member #

Me and my wife have been on many trips together and now with our 5 month old princess we haven't slowed down. She goes everywhere with us. Sleeps like a rock through trails and has a blast taking in the scenery. Few tips we've come up with is always keep your child cool and hydrated. A hot sweaty child is a fussy child. 2nd is bring things that we'll distract them and keep them entertained on long drives or when you need some time to cook up a meal or something. And lastly keep your child comfortable. I sleep on the floor wife sleeps in a sleeping bag and my daughter sleeps on 2 mats and sleeping bag under her. My daughter gets really mean without her naps so we try to keep her schedule. But no matter what have fun ,it's a blast seeing your kid soak it all in [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Overland Bound Talk mobile app
Great tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

So question about bug proofing your kid, if that's even the right wording...

I've camped with my 8 and 3 yr old, and using inspect repellent is easier on them for obvious reasons. But for the experienced "baby accompanied" overlanders, how are you protecting the wee ones? here in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, we are prone to mosquitoes and ticks abound! I can't mow my own lawn without finding ticks on me afterward. I am not sure of the safety of using insect repellent on a baby and their survivability regarding spider bites. Don't want to sound phobic, but personally having had lime disease that laid me in the ER for 3 days, (I survived IED blasts better than tick bites...sadly) I don't want undue harm on the kid and unnecessary stress and worry on the mom...

Thanks.

Reactions: Lipek

Very_Cool_Jeep

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesa, AZ, USA
First Name
vasil
Last Name
sivilov
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
I saw a thread on ovelanding with the family, but nobody has really said anything about overlanding with a baby. I'm talking 3yo and under.

My wife and I want to start camping and traveling again pretty quickly after baby comes in February (baby comes in late Feb and we have a trip planned for the end of April). What are your tips, tricks, and stories on the topic?