Launch Member

Steward I

Long Island
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Mercuri
Member #

When you're In Vermont look up BATS. Bennington area trail system. Miles of hiking and biking trails in Bennington vt

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

Hey, Trailspin. I’m pretty new to overlanding/off-roading in general. Do you think a stock 2018 Tacoma TRD offroad could handle Mt Beacon well?
I did it in my stock Jeep JKU with 32" tires, and didn't air down. This was pretty much my first time off-roading, and while it gets hairy in some sections, your vehicle is more than capable of making it up. Again, this is highly illegal and you run the chance of getting in some serious trouble. We didn't, but run the trail at your own risk.

Johannes Courtens

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kinderhook, NY
Member #

You guys talking about VT....if you ride, be sure to bring your MTB and hit the Kingdom Trails in East Burke! Not sure if there are any 4x4 trails out there, but that mtb trail network is heaven! I'll be spending a lot of time up there this summer.
Sick, I am interested in hearing more. I mtb a bit but out here there isn't as much so new trails are always exciting.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Sick, I am interested in hearing more. I mtb a bit but out here there isn't as much so new trails are always exciting.
Kingdom Trail in East Burke, VT - amazing riding! Basically, it's 50+ adjacent landowners that have allowed the trail association to build and maintain trails on their land. There are miles and miles of beautiful trails running through the woods and open pastures. Nothing there is too technically challenging to a seasoned rider, it's more fast flow. It's a great place for all types of rider, as the trails aren't very difficult other than some good climbs, but they're fun enough for the skilled rider to get some speed and air in certain places. There's something for everybody there.

It's a nice little town too, they realize what their bread and butter is, so they're very accommodating to riders. There's a great bike shop right near the visitors center, as well as a few good places for good eats. There's also another bike shop up on Darling Hill Rd that has a bar and beautiful views out back; it's great to kick back in one of the Adirondack chairs and enjoy a local brew and the view.

We usually enjoy dinner at the Burke Publik House, and post ride drinks at the Tikki Bar. No joke, in the rider parking lot behind the visitor's center, there's a literal tikki bar with a great beer selection, as well as a food truck with burgers, fries, tacos, etc.

It's 15 bucks for a day pass, or 75 for the year. The money goes to pay for trail upkeep, so I don't mind paying.

Also, if you ride downhill, Burke Mountain is right there with lift serviced DH trails. Sometimes we'll bring our DH bikes and do an afternoon of DH after riding trails in the AM.

There's also a campground not too far away I've stayed at a few times, White Caps campground. It's nice, they have showers and a nice little camp store with wifi (no cell signal out there). It's right across from Lake Willoughby, which is a beautiful view. There's a hiking trail right up the road, it brings you up the mountain to overlook the lake. I like to bike, but I thought the hike was worth the time.

http://kingdomtrails.org/

There are a bunch of videos on youtube about it, even "Skills with Phil" did a video there.

Sandy Lasa

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chelmsford, MA
Member #

Excuse the dumb question! We are new to overlanding and are wondering if there are maps that have trails that allow you to set camp? I see all these pictures of folks camping out with no one around and trying to figure out how did they find this? I don’t want to set up camp some places that’s illegal and get in to some trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reactions: bajatacoguy

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

Hey Mark,

Every photo in this album (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions) is taken on legal trails on public land in New York's Catskills and Schoharie Valley Regions:

www.imgur.com/a/SHSsW

There's A LOT more here to explore than I initially thought. How did I find these places? Lots of googling. Eventually I stumbled on what has been one of the most valuable resources in this regard generated by local hiker, outdoorsman, and amateur cartographer Andy Arthur:

State Truck Trails and Forest Preserve Roads Over A Half Mile

This list is a fucking godsend. Cross-referencing this and other info from his site with state DEC maps has allowed me to find some amazing places. Then when I'm there I just use intuition and explore.

Here's a brief potato cell phone edit of some of the areas we traipse through to give You a better idea of the terrain. It's all pretty basic, but we have a blast!

Hope this helps [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there any gpx, tcx or some sort of gps tracks available for share here? TIA

Reactions: Seppy