Overlanding mobile radio setup: side hobby or necessity?

• HTML tutorial

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Yeah, good point. I'm figuring the CB would mostly be for contact between those camping and traveling with me in their own vehicle. People I know, basically. A lot of the Crown land around my province is so sparsely populated (at least in my experience) that I'm guessing an EPIRB/ PLB would make the most sense without the HAM investment?
If your friends use it then it’s worth having. There doesn’t necessarily have to be much monetary investment in HAM. I just passed my technician license, it cost me $14 to take the test. Certainly your time is worth something, but that’s the biggest commitment in getting your license. The radios don’t require a small fortune either, though you can go that route if you want to.

Reactions: Baipin

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

If I lived in the US, assuming my wheeing buddies were going to do the same, I'd for sure use GMRS. It's awesome in the US, and very economical.

Reactions: RainGoat

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

If your friends use it then it’s worth having. There doesn’t necessarily have to be much monetary investment in HAM. I just passed my technician license, it cost me $14 to take the test. Certainly your time is worth something, but that’s the biggest commitment in getting your license. The radios don’t require a small fortune either, though you can go that route if you want to.
Some hams love to point out how cheap the license is, but that’s just the tip of the effort required. As a ham who’s had to train many on the use of handheld radios, frequencies, and repeaters in the field for the uninterested there is a lot of time and effort required to become proficient with a ham radio. GMRS while more expensive for a license IS greatly simplified for the uninitiated to simplify getting a group of travelers in communication with one another rather quickly and reliably.

Would I love everyone to have a well tuned 2m rig in their vehicle? Sure but I know that’s a tall order for some people who don’t already have a curiosity about learning the art of radio communications.

Reactions: RainGoat

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Some hams love to point out how cheap the license is, but that’s just the tip of the effort required. As a ham who’s had to train many on the use of handheld radios, frequencies, and repeaters in the field for the uninterested there is a lot of time and effort required to become proficient with a ham radio. GMRS while more expensive for a license IS greatly simplified for the uninitiated to simplify getting a group of travelers in communication with one another rather quickly and reliably.

Would I love everyone to have a well tuned 2m rig in their vehicle? Sure but I know that’s a tall order for some people who don’t already have a curiosity about learning the art of radio communications.
Valid points, and I am FAR from an expert. The information overload can make your head explode when you are just getting started. I only brought up the "cost" because of the way @Baipin worded his post. He said he didn't want to invest in HAM just yet, but was willing to buy a locator beacon (and then likely need a subscription). I got the impression he was thinking HAM for emergencies, not just trail coms. Yes, the time commitment is very real, but the monetary commitment doesn't NEED to be. That's all I was trying to convey.

For me, HAM is pretty much the only form of trail coms where I am at. I went on my first trail maintenance run and they looked at me funny when I said I have a CB. "I think so and so has one, we'll have him relay to you..."

GMRS is slick, but is a different animal in Canada which is where he is located. I don't remember the specifics, but it's not the same as the US. We've got like a half dozen of the handhelds laying around the house. I should probably just throw them in the Rover.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Valid points, and I am FAR from an expert. The information overload can make your head explode when you are just getting started. I only brought up the "cost" because of the way @Baipin worded his post. He said he didn't want to invest in HAM just yet, but was willing to buy a locator beacon (and then likely need a subscription). I got the impression he was thinking HAM for emergencies, not just trail coms. Yes, the time commitment is very real, but the monetary commitment doesn't NEED to be. That's all I was trying to convey.

For me, HAM is pretty much the only form of trail coms where I am at. I went on my first trail maintenance run and they looked at me funny when I said I have a CB. "I think so and so has one, we'll have him relay to you..."

GMRS is slick, but is a different animal in Canada which is where he is located. I don't remember the specifics, but it's not the same as the US. We've got like a half dozen of the handhelds laying around the house. I should probably just throw them in the Rover.
Yeah, you summed up my questions pretty well. Indeed, I was mostly thinking HAM or EPIRB for emergencies, as I was planning on getting a CB from a friend. That actually fell through, so I really have no incentive to chose CB over something else now...

From some brief reading tonight, it seems like the main caveat with GMRS in Canada is that radios are limited to 2w (legally anyways - sounds like a lot of folks use American 5w units though). We actually don't need to pass a test, but we do need to buy a license, apparently.

Reactions: m_lars

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Yeah, you summed up my questions pretty well. Indeed, I was mostly thinking HAM or EPIRB for emergencies, as I was planning on getting a CB from a friend. That actually fell through, so I really have no incentive to chose CB over something else now...

From some brief reading tonight, it seems like the main caveat with GMRS in Canada is that radios are limited to 2w (legally anyways - sounds like a lot of folks use American 5w units though). We actually don't need to pass a test, but we do need to buy a license, apparently.
No, GMRS does not require a license of any sort in Canada. GMRS in Canada is limited to 2w max power with a fixed/integral antenna (ie. Hand helds with fixed antenna).

Technically, the US mobile units are illegal to use in Canada, however I highly doubt that there are radio police hiding behind every bush to catch you, and there is absolutely nothing in any of CBSA's publically available literature or policy making any mention of intercepting 2 way radio units at the border, so there is likely nothing stopping you from importing one and using it for coms while off roading. It comes down to a matter of consicence I guess.

Personally, I chose CB because it's cheap, good enough for what I need it to do, and I simply don't wish to break the law, no matter how stupid I may think it is.

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

No, GMRS does not require a license of any sort in Canada. GMRS in Canada is limited to 2w max power with a fixed/integral antenna (ie. Hand helds with fixed antenna).

Technically, the US mobile units are illegal to use in Canada, however I highly doubt that there are radio police hiding behind every bush to catch you, and there is absolutely nothing in any of CBSA's publically available literature or policy making any mention of intercepting 2 way radio units at the border, so there is likely nothing stopping you from importing one and using it for coms while off roading. It comes down to a matter of consicence I guess.

Personally, I chose CB because it's cheap, good enough for what I need it to do, and I simply don't wish to break the law, no matter how stupid I may think it is.
I think ham for emergencies is a fantastic idea... With or without a license... Remember, it's not illegal to use ham in an emergency situation.

Yes there's a learning curve, but thanks to a $30 hand held, $20 cable and free Chirp software, that learning curve is dramatically flattened....

Not completely flat, but much more so

Reactions: RainGoat and Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I think ham for emergencies is a fantastic idea... With or without a license... Remember, it's not illegal to use ham in an emergency situation.

Yes there's a learning curve, but thanks to a $30 hand held, $20 cable and free Chirp software, that learning curve is dramatically flattened....

Not completely flat, but much more so
Yeah, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Have HAM strictly for emergencies in the meantime, until I can complete all the proper training/certification.

Reactions: 94Cruiser

4L_Warrior

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

East Bay Ca.
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Galvan
Member #

Hey Ben...

Something else to offer to you and your consideration. This past weekend, I had the opportunity to head off the highway and spend time off-road (Eagle Peak, Ca off the 108). No, I didn't need to call for help on my CB or ham radio, but I did tune my Yeasu FTM 100 DR to the OVERLAND BOUND 146.460 frequency... Just in case someone else needed my help. Radio was quiet, but it felt good to be ready just in case. I feel "listening" is just as important as checking the OB Helper & Contact on the info page.

Reactions: Big Jake and Baipin

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hey Ben...

Something else to offer to you and your consideration. This past weekend, I had the opportunity to head off the highway and spend time off-road (Eagle Peak, Ca off the 108). No, I didn't need to call for help on my CB or ham radio, but I did tune my Yeasu FTM 100 DR to the OVERLAND BOUND 146.460 frequency... Just in case someone else needed my help. Radio was quiet, but it felt good to be ready just in case. I feel "listening" is just as important as checking the OB Helper & Contact on the info page.
I keep my CB on 16 most of the time for the same reason :)