Overlanding "Fulltime"???

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

The best thing I can say is after 5 months of planning and a vehicle change is to watch allot of backpacking, bikepacking, and military survival videos so that you can be Light & Fast only carry what you need as space is highly limited and make sure you have the right vehicle for your situation. If you need to tow make sure you have the towing capacity. In my case I dont so I have to go lighter or take the hit of selling a brand new vehicle at a loss because of towing capacity is to low. Also I am finding that it really helps if you enjoy driving your vehicle you will be spending allot of time in it and so you need to like t be there.
Thanks. Yes I've been watching tons of videos and getting ideas. Everything I have can fit in the back of my grand cherokee without putting down the rear seats so I'm pretty light on gear. I feel like I might be too light but have all the essentials. Think I'm just going to go with it and wing it as I go. Youtube videos can be discouraging though. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the overlanding videos I've watched, none have the same vehicle. So I'm kinda doubting my vehicle might not be suitable or something lol
Just reread your comment I’m no longer in the bronco sport I am in a jeep grand Cherokee Limied WK2 as well. Gas mileage sucks but it has the towing capacity and cargo capacity that I needed with the seats down I can sleep in the back and put all my gear inside.

Reactions: Kelly and Folklore

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

Folklore

Rank II

Contributor III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9BWA
Service Branch
Merchant Marines
My wife doesn't get out on overland trips with me too often, but she loves the thought of doing it full time for a couple years and travel around seeing the States.

Not sure how to transition into that lifestyle, to be honest. We would need to find a means of making enough of an income from the road to sustain ourselves.

Firemom

Pioneer III

Rapid City, Meade County, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
My wife doesn't get out on overland trips with me too often, but she loves the thought of doing it full time for a couple years and travel around seeing the States.

Not sure how to transition into that lifestyle, to be honest. We would need to find a means of making enough of an income from the road to sustain ourselves.
Howdy Folklore,

Transitioning from stationary house to mobile house is a personal learning experience. Letting go of stuff and the “security” of a stationary home can cause both anxiety and relief. It’s such a dramatic change and so very different from the “norm”. When all was said and done for Mike and I it brought an amazing sense of freedom and anticipation for what was around the next bend. We are retired but technology has greatly expanded the ability to work from the road. It’s a wonderful lifestyle if your both on board with your expectations and have solid communication.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
How are you communicating with the world? Or are you going mostly incommunicado? I find myself with the opportunity to be a part time digital nomad. Starlink, cell signal booster, tracking down wi-fi signals?
Ham Radio and Insty-Connect high speed WiFi

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Overlanding "Fulltime"???

its funny...i'll drive thru a neighborhood and see all the houses butted up against each other and wonder how anyone can do THAT full time! :dizzy:

1651525825803.png

Last edited:

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Found an awesome camp area in the Cococino National Forest, in Arizona! This place is beautiful! A ton of space, trails to explore and so far good weather!

Attachments

Firemom

Pioneer III

First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Found an awesome camp area in the Cococino National Forest, in Arizona! This place is beautiful! A ton of space, trails to explore and so far good weather!
Lots of dispersed camping around Flag, I look forward to talking with you guys about that area.

Reactions: Magic Mike

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Here is an interesting article I found, if your thinking about Fulltime Overlanding.

Check out this link: www.jackcentral.org/tncms/asset/editorial/3c3bfc57-66f1-593c-9c92-f081e7a110ca
Great article, thanks! My wife and I have about 10 years before we'll be ready to retire and we've talked about traveling full time, time will tell!
Well I can say that this lifestyle is absolutely awesome! Little scary at first, but awesome we wouldn’t have it any other way

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
So just started this journey the 20th of June and so far so good. Our initial travels involved family because of sickness so the "rig pulling over boulders" photos will have to wait. LOL. Currently on our third State Park and headed north from South Carolina. You won't see any river crossings with us but the photography will be awesome. LOL
Zim

Firemom

Pioneer III

First Name
Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
So just started this journey the 20th of June and so far so good. Our initial travels involved family because of sickness so the "rig pulling over boulders" photos will have to wait. LOL. Currently on our third State Park and headed north from South Carolina. You won't see any river crossings with us but the photography will be awesome. LOL
Zim
Welcome to the full time family and can’t wait to see the photos. We were in South Carolina last year and will be going through after Expo West this year. Beautiful state. Enjoy your new lifestyle and hope to see ya sometime.
Mike and Deb @ironhorseoverland

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Zim
In our book, its not so much where you go, or what roads you travel, but the fact that you just go 'somewhere' simply put 'vehicle based travel' paved or dirt this world has lots to share. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your travels

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
That’s awesome, enjoy! We’ve been out for about a year and have traveled just about 60,000 miles. Currently adventuring around Alaska and will be heading up to the Artic Ocean (Tuktoyaktuk.) Northern Territory’s of Canada.

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Few images of our current journey

Attachments

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Welcome to the full time family and can’t wait to see the photos. We were in South Carolina last year and will be going through after Expo West this year. Beautiful state. Enjoy your new lifestyle and hope to see ya sometime.
Mike and Deb @ironhorseoverland
Colleton State Park is a winner. Small but beautiful and on the Edisto River
Zim
IMG-2080.JPG