Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
I full-time, long distance travel and live out of my 98 Chevy Tracker I also have a home base cabin in AZ. I'm gone more than home.
I also travel on a fixed income and do my best. I don't like urban camping but sometimes in the states there's not much choice if you can't afford a pay for site which are usually painfully full and noisy
I hear ya the wife and I are both retired and live on a semi fixed income, but we sold the house and paid off all our debt!

Reactions: SimplyLesa

SimplyLesa

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Witch Well, Arizona
First Name
Lesa
Last Name
NeSmith
Member #

I have a homebas
We sold our house and hit the road! Never going back to NORCAL! We’ll use this time to find our forever home.

We don’t have any plans on how long were going to travel, min is 5 years
Mike, I like the idea of not having a home I also like the idea of those of us who have some kind of rural off grid home base sharing the space with others as appropriate in other words if I like you and you fit my lifestyle you probably get to come camp at my place when you're in that area teehee

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
I full-time, long distance travel and live out of my 98 Chevy Tracker I also have a home base cabin in AZ. I'm gone more than home.
I also travel on a fixed income and do my best. I don't like urban camping but sometimes in the states there's not much choice if you can't afford a pay for site which are usually painfully full and noisy
Next time we hit the road we're going to have a home base, hopefully a small cabin on some acreage. While we throughly loved our time on the road, once we made it back to the States it was difficult to not have a place of our own while we waited for the van. It would also be nice to have a place to take breaks from the road and work on the rig.

SimplyLesa

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Witch Well, Arizona
First Name
Lesa
Last Name
NeSmith
Member #

Next time we hit the road we're going to have a home base, hopefully a small cabin on some acreage. While we throughly loved our time on the road, once we made it back to the States it was difficult to not have a place of our own while we waited for the van. It would also be nice to have a place to take breaks from the road and work on the rig.
Absolutely!
My favorite mechanic is near my cabin so that's helpful, so is the Dr...my cabin is still very remote by most people's standards but the familiar and manageable, cost effective breaks from the road are welcome.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Well we made back into the United States! Came back in in North Dakota and have found stunning campsites in ND, SD and now we find ourselves in the Nebraska National Forest! Who knew that Nebraska had a National Forest or that it was this beautiful! Some pics of each site! All of these campsites are on the OB mapping system.

Attachments

Reactions: CR-Venturer

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Jasper & Banff National Parks, just stunning
Up until a couple of days ago the weather has been fantastic throughout the fall. Yesterday was the first accumulating white stuff, 3-4 cm worth. Rude shock.
I use to love the white stuff, but now We’ll pass on it!

I hear people all the time saying, “ oh can’t wait to snow camp & wheeling.” What I say is, “I’ll pass, better them than me.”

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I hear people all the time saying, “ oh can’t wait to snow camp & wheeling.” What I say is, “I’ll pass, better them than me.”
To each his own. I gotta say, though, nothing quite matches the silence and beauty of a snow blanketed winter night in the bush.

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

To each his own. I gotta say, though, nothing quite matches the silence and beauty of a snow blanketed winter night in the bush.
Very true, but I still don’t like to be cold! Goes a long with getting old

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps

Very true, but I still don’t like to be cold! Goes a long with getting old
No more cold for a while, Yay!! Florida is glorious

Attachments

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Got into Florida yesterday, the weather is glorious! Also knocked off a bucket list item and stopped at Kennedy Space Center!

Attachments

Magic Mike

Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Was in Key West for the last Four days and now at the Everglades National park

Attachments

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Hey! All the cool kids are in Florida! I arrived this afternoon. Great to see you enjoying Key West. Have a drink at Capt. Tony’s and hum a little “Last Mango in Paris.” Cheers!

Reactions: Magic Mike

HatchetMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fort Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Pancake
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RFN
Service Branch
USMC
Reactions: Magic Mike

HatchetMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fort Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Pancake
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RFN
Service Branch
USMC
Kelly,
I look forward to reading more from you about full timing. I am due to retire in February and the plan is to begin overlanding full time at the beginning of April. After 150+ nights in the rooftop tent over the years and moving through a couple different vehicle platforms I am finalizing my vehicle choice now. Any suggestions would be appreciated based on what you have found. And I think I will be completely happy living and overlanding in a van down by the river...
Long term you will need comfort and ease. We started in a RTT which became alot of work and discomfort in winter weather. We ended up in this Thank God!

HatchetMatt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Fort Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Pancake
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RFN
Service Branch
USMC