Overlanding Cigar Aficionados

• HTML tutorial

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I did not know of it, but that’s pretty cool. I would never quit! Hahaha!
Way back then, before they went under, the shops (it was a franchise) looked like a cross between a tobacco shop and curiosity shop right out of a Charles Dickens book. Back then I primarily smoked a pipe and got around the amount of cigars by smoking 1 of the most expensive cigar we carried; can't remember the name of it, but back in 1986 it cost $50, wrapped in edible gold foil inside a glass tube. If you smoked one of those you only got to smoke one other cigar from the lower priced ones. All of the pipe tobacco and cigars smoked on company time was 'on the house'.

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Jacobson
Interesting that youhave a tiki bar thing going... I'm planning on a mobile tiki bar setup for the Rover, to be used for parties and special events for friends and family. It's intended to have the flair that the one in the link has - the night time pic anyway - but more like a classic one. I'll only be doing it at times I can take the trop top off so palm frond roof - similar to the one in the pic - can be added.

View attachment 193832
Nice, that's awesome. I'm hoping to add a discovery to my fleet and a Defender 110 and do something similar again--a cross between camel trophy and tiki safari.

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Way back then, before they went under, the shops (it was a franchise) looked like a cross between a tobacco shop and curiosity shop right out of a Charles Dickens book. Back then I primarily smoked a pipe and got around the amount of cigars by smoking 1 of the most expensive cigar we carried; can't remember the name of it, but back in 1986 it cost $50, wrapped in edible gold foil inside a glass tube. If you smoked one of those you only got to smoke one other cigar from the lower priced ones. All of the pipe tobacco and cigars smoked on company time was 'on the house'.
Very interesting. I guess I have not tried much, but tend to get anything in regards in cigars. I like them strong! For pipe tobacco my go to is Sutniff vanilla and Lane 1Q. I think the latter is very popular!

Reactions: Correus

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Nice, that's awesome. I'm hoping to add a discovery to my fleet and a Defender 110 and do something similar again--a cross between camel trophy and tiki safari.
I miss my old LR4/Discovery 4 - that was the original OB#0001! :) On a similar note, I just got my mom a new Defender last week. She loves it!

Shasta-1.jpg

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

It would not be a surprise to see one in my hand around the evening campfire. How does everyone transport them when you are out for an extended period of time? To date I have only used a zip lock and an dash of hope to keep them from drying out while traveling.

Reactions: Coreymol

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
It would not be a surprise to see one in my hand around the evening campfire. How does everyone transport them when you are out for an extended period of time? To date I have only used a zip lock and an dash of hope to keep them from drying out while traveling.
i have a small travel case looks kind of like a pelican case sort of it fits 4 or 5 sticks in it not like the briefcase pelicans but that plastic look