Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Admittedly I know nothing about cigars, but I truly can appreciate them. Whenever I visit my sister and brother-in-law we have this growing tradition where one of the nights we spark up a bonfire, pour up a glass, and sit back with a cigar. I am headed out to see them at the end of the month and I'd like to get something that won't break the bank but quality. Suggestions?

Reactions: FJ Montana

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Admittedly I know nothing about cigars, but I truly can appreciate them. Whenever I visit my sister and brother-in-law we have this growing tradition where one of the nights we spark up a bonfire, pour up a glass, and sit back with a cigar. I am headed out to see them at the end of the month and I'd like to get something that won't break the bank but quality. Suggestions?
Cigarbid.com

I don’t ever spend more than $2 / stick.

Magic Toast, Punch Bareknuckle, anything by my fathers cigars, etc. there’s so many to choose from.

Reactions: DharmaBum
I smoke one in the evening and with a cup of coffee in the AM. Best way to end and start the day.

-20? Dang. Here in the UAE I’m pumped when it gets below 60 degrees.

Loving the FJ.

I have one here. Plan to get one on return to the States.

When I’m in the field, cigar and a cup of coffee is the breakfast of champions.
You hit it right on the head, my guy. That’s what I do whenever I’m deployed, working or just going for a drive. Actually come to think of it, just what I do every morning.

Reactions: FJ Montana

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I smoke one in the evening and with a cup of coffee in the AM. Best way to end and start the day.

-20? Dang. Here in the UAE I’m pumped when it gets below 60 degrees.

Loving the FJ.

I have one here. Plan to get one on return to the States.

You hit it right on the head, my guy. That’s what I do whenever I’m deployed, working or just going for a drive. Actually come to think of it, just what I do every morning.
What type of FJ do you have in the UAE? Not the old 80 versions?

Hmm UAE, that means air force or army.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

Spent 7 years in the UAE, have many Emirati friends their. Best thing going is the genuine Habanos stores, would go down get me a box of my favs, buy another and sit smoking and drinking tea discussing all the world issues with many from around the world.

Jim

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I used to smoke a pipe but have gone to cigars as good pipe tobacco is hard to find. I enjoy a good cigar on the trail, after dinner I usually have a wander about or read while smoking. A small glass of brandy, a good cigar and book and I am good.

Partial to Cuban products, but I tend to try different types. Fortunately there are 2 decent cigar stores with in a hours drive of home .

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

Unrelated to overlanding, but related to cigars. When I’m not on the trail using my travel humidors I use a simplistic one that sits on my desk. My gf recently surprised me with one she made out of a 1920s travel box that used to sit on the outside of vehicles whenever they’d drive long distances.

Attachments

What type of FJ do you have in the UAE? Not the old 80 versions?

Hmm UAE, that means air force or army.
It's an 08 FJ Cruiser. We bought it from a guy that was headed back to Britain. It's been great. This year with all the travel restrictions we decided to camp all over. With a family of five it's akin to overland backpacking. We only take what's necessary. Everything else gets left. It's kind of nice. A/C blows cold and it's reliable.

UAE is one of the few countries in which Toyota keeps selling FJ Cruisers new every year. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to bring a GCC spec vehicle back to the States. You can get accessories made over here easier than the States so I'll be shipping some home over the next 18 months.

I'm actually in the Marine Corps. There are about 30 of us over here who are embedded advisors with the UAE military. It's a great gig. Live out in town on the economy. Took my two oldest to an adventure survival school for the day this past week. We had a blast.

Pete

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Jacobson
Easter weekend was a little cold and busy for too many stogies but managed to sneak in a couple. Below, La Aroma de Cuba (the drink is a Doctor Funk)
IMG-0098.JPG
IMG-6408.JPG
82BC58F5-ACF9-4119-8A52-2C869A66A581.JPG
Not pictured was a Nub Cameroon which was a perfect for a small late night snack with some potsickers and hot buttered rum.
Then an Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto for Easter.
IMG-0104.JPG

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

This is a great thread - lots of good cigar suggestions. Though, it doesn't help me trying to cut back on smoking my tobacco pipe. It got to a 4-6 times a day habit, but luckily I have cut back. :-)
I understand your pain Finlay! I have been cutting back on cigars a bit after I started smoking three a day. However I still think it’s one of the most cathartic times I have in my day. Something about some fine tobacco while you ponder whatever you’re facing in life just cuts the stress away

Reactions: finlayforprez

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I understand your pain Finlay! I have been cutting back on cigars a bit after I started smoking three a day. However I still think it’s one of the most cathartic times I have in my day. Something about some fine tobacco while you ponder whatever you’re facing in life just cuts the stress away
I completely agree buddy. I found smoking my tobacco pipe (and cigars) to be such a stress relief. I was smoking my pipe 4-6 times a day for a good solid year and really had to cut back - almost to just 1-2 times a week now or less. I know you are not technically supposed to inhale pipes or cigars, but man I always did - so that's a lot worse! Plus, the backs of my teeth had a lot of staining despite brushing 2-3 times a day. The dental hygienist cleaned them up nice, but she commented they were really bad this past time.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Easter weekend was a little cold and busy for too many stogies but managed to sneak in a couple. Below, La Aroma de Cuba (the drink is a Doctor Funk)
View attachment 193789
View attachment 193793
View attachment 193791
Not pictured was a Nub Cameroon which was a perfect for a small late night snack with some potsickers and hot buttered rum.
Then an Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto for Easter.
View attachment 193792
Interesting that youhave a tiki bar thing going... I'm planning on a mobile tiki bar setup for the Rover, to be used for parties and special events for friends and family. It's intended to have the flair that the one in the link has - the night time pic anyway - but more like a classic one. I'll only be doing it at times I can take the trop top off so palm frond roof - similar to the one in the pic - can be added.

20181113_191919.jpg