Rank VI

Influencer I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moses
Member #

Kinda true, and Kinda not........I have seen a couple of this guy's videos and just am not a fan of his "style".
You taking time to post this comment is as insecure as you not creating content of your own. How about you put a little more effort instead of being a closet judge on others “style”

Johnmosessa

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moses
Member #

Here is a definition that Overland Bound folks appreciate;

con·trib·u·tor
/kənˈtribyədər/
noun
  1. a person or thing that contributes something.

I appreciate the OP's contribution to our site. Whether or not his post superfluous or redundant it's appreciated.
    Thanks @Johnmosessa
    Zim

Thanks?

Johnmosessa

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moses
Member #

If we were out on the trail, stranded, trying to get home, no one would care.

Off-roading vs Overlanding. Is there a difference? No.

Everything else is a nuance. One nuance, Overlanding is ‘vehicle dependent travel’, meaning your vehicle provides transport, food, shelter, life. Your travel is dependent on a vehicle. That’s a nuance that distinguishes Overlanding from camping, where you may not actually be dependent on your vehicle.

I do think there is off-roading and Overlanding that gets into a sport by definition - competition. You know yer gonna break stuff. The Rubicon or King of the Hammers for example. But I think few would argue that is off-roading by definition. Most off-roaders would say, “Hey, I need to drive it home”. Most overlanders would say, “I’m not doing that with my home”.

There are overlanders who’d say you ain’t real unless you cross international borders, break axels and smell like roo guts, but that’s BS.

Also, this thing about Overlanding being elite or expensive…only if you say so. Get off it. Doesn’t need to be. Boating. Yacht or canoe. Still boating.

Let’s be grateful this is the debate we are having on a Saturday, not one about the safety and welfare of our family. Or where our next meal is gonna come from.

Overland or off-road and enjoy.
Who is saying overland is elite?
Non of them are. It’s always going to be off of preference and choice of lifestyle. Non of them are better then the other. This video was created for both completely opposite states of mind. Of course they can be mixed as you please as stated in the video. But if you are going to be clowning another’s rig for your personal preferences… that’s where the line is blurred.

Reactions: Bengt N

Johnmosessa

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moses
Member #

I guess I walk a fine line between both. I have driven this across borders, and over the last 5 years more offroad miles than on road.
We have a term "off highway vehicle" that tends to cater more to my style, and there are organizations much like tread lightly that train people in proper off road etiquette ( stay on trail to not damage land, how to deal with others on trail etc.) Which use a vary small paid membership to help keep trails open, and maintained with the help of volunteers.
I don't know if I clarify as an overlander or an offroader but I get out and have fun.

View attachment 221814
View attachment 221816View attachment 221817
I frequently drive this 500 km ( round trip) to get to official trails, and for events it usually ends up around 1800 km round trip. I drove it to Pennsylvania a few years back to camp and wheel at Rausch Creek offroad park. Would love to make it to moab or the Rubicon at some point but time hasn't been on my side lately.
I never tow the rig and always drive it round trip, carry the tools ( and knowledge) to repair just about anything on the trail or side of the road within reason. Generally the people I meet up with from time to time also have the same set of skills and getting a rig moving again takes less time than it takes most to drink a beer ( we've tested that theory as well ... not the drivers). Most trails I like to run are between 25 a d 35 km long as they are the longest I have here and I enjoy being as far away from others as I can get.
Sorry for the long drawn out post buy I have been trying to figure out where I fit in between the offroad/rock crawl/overland community for years and u still havnt figured it out. The line between the 2 isn't that thin sometimes and when it comes to meeting someone else on the trails it seems nearly non existent. If someone needs a hand it's all hands on deck, and of someone needs food or beer it's the same response. Being out on a trail and away from the majority seems to be what's most important.
Well said!
Some were meant to believe there is only one or the other. It’s always going to be based on your needs and what you want out of your rig. But if we had to distinguish two polar opposites? There can be a difference. It’s just been interesting to see avid off-roaders give others a hard time for not getting bigger lifts or extreme mud terrain tires, even roll cages when all they want to do is prepare to explore. At the end of the day. It’s what ever you would like to do.

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

I guess I walk a fine line between both. I have driven this across borders, and over the last 5 years more offroad miles than on road.
We have a term "off highway vehicle" that tends to cater more to my style, and there are organizations much like tread lightly that train people in proper off road etiquette ( stay on trail to not damage land, how to deal with others on trail etc.) Which use a vary small paid membership to help keep trails open, and maintained with the help of volunteers.
I don't know if I clarify as an overlander or an offroader but I get out and have fun.

View attachment 221814
View attachment 221816View attachment 221817
I frequently drive this 500 km ( round trip) to get to official trails, and for events it usually ends up around 1800 km round trip. I drove it to Pennsylvania a few years back to camp and wheel at Rausch Creek offroad park. Would love to make it to moab or the Rubicon at some point but time hasn't been on my side lately.
I never tow the rig and always drive it round trip, carry the tools ( and knowledge) to repair just about anything on the trail or side of the road within reason. Generally the people I meet up with from time to time also have the same set of skills and getting a rig moving again takes less time than it takes most to drink a beer ( we've tested that theory as well ... not the drivers). Most trails I like to run are between 25 a d 35 km long as they are the longest I have here and I enjoy being as far away from others as I can get.
Sorry for the long drawn out post buy I have been trying to figure out where I fit in between the offroad/rock crawl/overland community for years and u still havnt figured it out. The line between the 2 isn't that thin sometimes and when it comes to meeting someone else on the trails it seems nearly non existent. If someone needs a hand it's all hands on deck, and of someone needs food or beer it's the same response. Being out on a trail and away from the majority seems to be what's most important.
Well said!
Some were meant to believe there is only one or the other. It’s always going to be based on your needs and what you want out of your rig. But if we had to distinguish two polar opposites? There can be a difference. It’s just been interesting to see avid off-roaders give others a hard time for not getting bigger lifts or extreme mud terrain tires, even roll cages when all they want to do is prepare to explore. At the end of the day. It’s what ever you would like to do.
I’s whats make you happy Thats matter in the and

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Then don’t watch… simple as that
John, I concur with your statement that, if someone isn't interested in the content, they don't have to watch. In this case I think @grubworm was simply making a joke and was not taking a shot at you or your video. @grubworm has a bit of a dry sense of humor.

Johnmosessa

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moses
Member #

Then don’t watch… simple as that
John, I concur with your statement that, if someone isn't interested in the content, they don't have to watch. In this case I think @grubworm was simply making a joke and was not taking a shot at you or your video. @grubworm has a bit of a dry sense of humor.
I hate that tone doesn’t carry in text messages cause I actually love dry humor. Lol Thank you