Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Thousand Foot Krutch
Breaking Benjamin
Skillet
Luke Bryan
Taylor Swift (Yes, I am serious..lol)

I really listen to most any music...have a 10 disc CD changer in the Jeep so i just load it with discs and let it run its course.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

It depends.

To start the trip I usually put on my "Go Fast" playlist that is mostly energizing songs like Song 2, Hammer to Fall, and Highway to Hell. Once I'm out of town I might switch to my "Open Road" playlist that is a mix of classic rock with things like Summer of '69. If I feel like mixing it up I might play some of my "Folk" playlist with lots of The Greencards and The Kingston Trio or maybe my "Front Porch Fireflies" playlist with The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and songs like Copperhead Road.

Once I hit the dirt, then it's all about "The West" playlist - Copland's Fanfare For The Common Man and themes from great westerns like Silverado and The Magnificent Seven.

Usually it's about this time my wife informs me that she needs to have a turn at the stereo so we end up listening to whatever she has on her iPod that week, which is usually something from Top 40 that makes me want to stick a welding torch in both ears. Shortly after the argument about music, we agree to turn the stereo off and play a strange game we came up with where we define a category of vehicle and each pick our favorite that falls into that category. An example would be "American sedans from the 1970s" "Best road trip car from the 1990s" "City commuter car for less than $7,000" and so forth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cappy410

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Thousand Foot Krutch
Breaking Benjamin
Skillet
Luke Bryan
Taylor Swift (Yes, I am serious..lol)

I really listen to most any music...have a 10 disc CD changer in the Jeep so i just load it with discs and let it run its course.
Taylor Swift? hey we don't judge here.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
With a 3-year-old music can be good but not always what I use to listen to. :tonguewink:

I was layed up all summer with a broken foot so I started compiling a playlist based mostly on the music from the Camper Van Culter ( http://campervanculture.com/ ) guys video series about a trip from London to Maroco.
Without the content and editing for the videos, it is not a dynamic but makes for some nice traveling music for the stretch of asphalt between the driveway and where the trail starts.

Wonder if there is a way to post or upload a playlist for us to share that won't tread into legal issues. Almost way back when you could give a friend a "mix tape".

I was going to do a North American Overland Mix but my foot got better so no time to sit around and do such a thing.

So for now Pandora it is until the cell signal falls out and then whatever is saved on the phone or in the CD player. Around camp at night, I will sometimes bring up what I can on the shortwave via my Ham Radio Rig. "Radio Free Cuba" is a hoot. I have not listen it in the last couple of months but they still thing the cold war is still going.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
Just about anything. If it means something or sounds good, I will give it a shot. Cant cage me into one type of music. I commute 135 miles a day and have found audiobooks to be a lifesavers, but hardly ever use them in the rig.

Hendo

Rank 0

Traveler I

OK Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but in the third instalment of the Sequoia trip OB videos, what is the song that plays just before Avicii's Wake Me Up? It's not Carry on my wayward son, there's another song in there too.

I wanted to look it up but I can't remember how it goes, and for some reason the you tube video isn't working at the moment.... And the tune is stuck in my head and not knowing what it is is driving me crazy!!

Ah, typical, as soon as I posted this the video started working again!

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

OK Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but in the third instalment of the Sequoia trip OB videos, what is the song that plays just before Avicii's Wake Me Up? It's not Carry on my wayward son, there's another song in there too.

I wanted to look it up but I can't remember how it goes, and for some reason the you tube video isn't working at the moment.... And the tune is stuck in my head and not knowing what it is is driving me crazy!!

Ah, typical, as soon as I posted this the video started working again!
Did you try shazaming it?

Cappy "410 Expedition" [emoji1063]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendo

Rank 0

Traveler I

I did but it turns out my humming isn't the best! Shazam had no idea. But the video is working again so I was able to google some lyrics. It's carry on by fun. Thank god I can get on with my day now! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: murps and Cappy410

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

So im sure everyones taste in music varies, but i thought it would be cool to share songs that make you think of overlanding.
Lately ive been stuck on:
Big Country - In a big country
Big Country - The journey
Harry Nilson - Jump into the fire
Supersonic Soul Pimps - Let's go camping

More to post as they come to me

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

If I am offroad and I need to concentrate, no music. If there is water around, no music. However, any other time, I mean please.....The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Jimmy Buffet, Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, JT, Stones, Natalie Merchant, Neil Young, Sublime, John Denver, and Genesis to name a few

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
What do you listen to while driving on your Overland trips? I listen to a variety of music from the Foo Fighters, Chris Bathgate, Jack Johnson, Matt McHugh, 30 seconds to Mars, Pearl Jam, Mumford and Sons, Coldplay, One republic, Coleman hell to name a few

Keep on Jeepin' On!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We like Audio books. We are pretty deep into the Lemony Snicket books. The ones read by Tim Curry are awesome. Last trip we listened to Matilda by Roald Dahl read by Kate Winslet. That was REALLY good. When we did out Death Valley trip we listened to Treasure Island read by Alfred Molina. That was great!

-M

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

Wow, depends on mood and type of road. Highways have some good tempo driving music; mountains will be a bit more "big"; dirt roads, depends.

What I listen to is:
Joe Bonamassa
Doobie Brothers
Supertramp
Kansas
Journey
REO
Foreigner
Genesis
Rush
Led Zeppelin
Def Lepard
Lynard Skynard
Scorpions
Phil Collins
Sara Bareilles
Nelly Furtado
Sarah brightman
Chuck Mangione
Gordon Goodwin
Michel Camilo
Gustav Holst (The Planets)
Modest Mussorgsky
George Gershwin

And on and on...but no country!

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I'm a big Blues fan but discovered that Facebook wouldn't let me upload my dashcam videos because they had a recognisable sound track. I think I was listening to Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival at the time. I was really enjoying it at the time too [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

KellyS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Anderson, SC
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Slatton
Member #

I rotate between 80's, Classic Rock, Country and Radio Margaritaville on SiriusXM.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk