Launch Member

Traveler III

Tannum Sands - Boyne Island, Queensland, Australia
First Name
carl
Last Name
tunstall
Member #

Hi folks, I’m an OB’r from down under and need some advice from my USA OB brothers & sisters. My wife and I did a road trip a few years ago around the southern states, hiring an SUV and buying some basic camping gear when we got there. It was great fun but we never really got off the main highway. Next summer (2020) we’re planning a long east-west road trip and would like to get off the beaten track a bit more.
Qns: is it possible to hire a fully equipped 4x4/overland truck (not a camper van) that we can pick up at point x and drop off at point y - and can you recommend a firm?

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I did a quick search and came up with this article and this article. It has many different options and looks like more in the comments. I have never used any of them nor am I affiliated with them. Not sure if you could arrange to have a x to y (a one-way rental if you will). It seems that these companies operate more out of the western part of the country. I would think that if you're looking to do a much more offroad adventure you might want to travel the western US anyways. You might be able to convince a company to ship one of their vehicle to where you're starting in the eastern US but I would assume you be covering the rental and the cost of shipping as soon as it leaves their place.

You might also plan to get a more traditional rental (perhaps even a Jeep) on the Eastern US and then pickup an overland vehicle when you get out west.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Ulysses

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Tannum Sands - Boyne Island, Queensland, Australia
First Name
carl
Last Name
tunstall
Member #

Cheers buddy and thanks for taking the time to respond. the article was really useful but I think your last comment is looking a more likely option. Like last time we may end up hiring a truck and buying some cheap basic camp gear and just drop it of at a thrift store before heading home .