Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Looking at all these cool trailers, get me thinking about one. As us family four, set in RTT plus kitchen problem is very hard sometimes.
only worries me is pulling trailer everywhere. Like next year we are planning do Labrador and Newfoundland, it's lots miles and with trailer, it worries me am little. Plus storage when is not in use.
So from your experiences, did you wish never got one or love so much, and it's better than van (who had van).

thanks
I'm super glad I got my off-road trailer two years ago.

I tow it with a diesel van. I had a couple 1/4 ton military trailers but they proved not to be quite enough for what I want, which is to be able to go off-road and still be able to haul building materials or cargo more than the 1/4 tons could do.

I've towed my trailer and set up basecamps all over the country, to the tune of well over 500 nights in two years, from desert to swamps to mountain forests to salt seashores. I wouldn't hesitate to tow mine on the Trans Labrador. In fact, I think I'd rather have it with me than not.

quitman_3271-1000.jpeg

nhlakecamping_7753-1028.jpg

Gmanpaint

Rank II

Enthusiast II

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Gregg
Last Name
M
Gregg, this thing is AWESOME! Really well thought out design and build quality clearly. I'd sure love to see some more pics and understand your engineering for your slide mount solar panel slung under the RTT. I've been sketching up plans for similar setup for 2x Renogy 100W eclipse panels on slide rails hidden under my RTT on the Smittybilt Scout trailer. Right now I stand mount them and stow them in the large rear cargo area in transit. This whole rig of yours is super skookum! Nice work!
Thanks!
In the link I posted, it takes you to the build thread. There are tons of pictures, and explanations on almost everything that was done to it.

Solar panels are fixed to aluminum angles, with Z brackets from Renogy. Angles are bolted to slides. Once the setup is bolted up, you can either slide out by hand, or get fancy, and install 12v armature to move in/out with a switch. For two 100w panels, longer HD slides would be needed. Ryadon makes some 250 lb slides that are only 2" tall. Those would work well for two panels. Not for weight, but for rigidity purpose.

Hope that helps some.

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Bulwinkle, I like the work being done on the back of your trailer. I'm looking into having similar fab work done to mine as well. Was it personal preference to offset the rear tire or did you design it for a specific purpose?
I am very comfortable fabricating at the shop, but I saw the tire holder from Smittybilt that was ready to go and I did not want to experiment.. It is the SRC Classic Tire Carrier. I needed to have clearance for the back of the Scout Trailer door to swing open. So I had to offset the "Bumper" so the trailer door would open. Then had the idea to make it more like a gate and add Rotopax. Now I can fit 4 3.5 gal tanks.. Will also give me room for a jack on top. It is almost done and I will send along some more photos.. Hope this helps.

Taylors Travels

Rank II

Contributor III

Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

We just sold our custom Canadian Military M101 last fall after 17 years of ownership. It was a bit too small for the Power Wagon.

Absolutely loved it and it made adventure travel possible for a family of 4 in TJ’s!

Attachments

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

I am very comfortable fabricating at the shop, but I saw the tire holder from Smittybilt that was ready to go and I did not want to experiment.. It is the SRC Classic Tire Carrier. I needed to have clearance for the back of the Scout Trailer door to swing open. So I had to offset the "Bumper" so the trailer door would open. Then had the idea to make it more like a gate and add Rotopax. Now I can fit 4 3.5 gal tanks.. Will also give me room for a jack on top. It is almost done and I will send along some more photos.. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: PA Chuck D

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Propex Heater.... Has anyone installed or explored the installation of a Propex Space heater for a trailer? I have experience in cold temps and really don't like the condensation, and condensation associated with non vented propane heaters. My idea is to install in a compartment as designed with exhaust and intake out bottom, vent the compartment , pipe discharge to a point of connection near the power access point on the RTT.

TNjohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Kingston, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Caudle
Member #

Portable Pillow Tanks: Wonder if anyone has experience with a collapsable tank? I have been looking for options to a poly tank for longer stays without taking up permanent space. I found this on US Plastic Corp site. They have a bunch of all sorts of tanks. Scout project is getting closer
If it helps, the US Antarctic Program trusts them to haul fuel to the South Pole Station. LOL They actually drag them down on huge HDPE sheets behind large tractors. Of course they hold over 4000 gallons each. It's quite the site to see but it makes the trip back easier because they can roll up the bladders and make a more compact package and can haul some waste on the HDPE for the return trip.

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Propex Heater.... Has anyone installed or explored the installation of a Propex Space heater for a trailer? I have experience in cold temps and really don't like the condensation, and condensation associated with non vented propane heaters. My idea is to install in a compartment as designed with exhaust and intake out bottom, vent the compartment , pipe discharge to a point of connection near the power access point on the RTT.
Have you explored the Diesel heater option? I just bought one for my trailer build. They are very affordable and safe

Working on a DIY trailer that I've added an aluminium box to. I got a great deal on a 3" c channel frame with 35's and a SOA already done. Got rid of the original plywood walls. Plans are fenders that will be both protection and storage. My trips will be more camping than overlanding, and the trailer makes it easier to carry everything as opposed to loading it all in my 89 Dodge Raider. 20191117_132052.jpg20191117_171746.jpg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Get yourself Paint.net and it will rotate those images for you. Photo viewers will sometimes make you think the photo is going to post upright but Paint.net will show you how the image actually looks and will allow you to rotate it and reduce the size if need be. It's a free download to your computer and is a great piece of photo editing software!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I wrote a couple of articles today for my website. Article one talks about the history of the trailers I have owned along with a brief review of our Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer. (We love it by the way)

Article two is a simple Pros and Cons list of all of the trailers I have owned.

Regardless of whether you purchase an off road trailer or build one I hope you can find my experience helpful.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I wrote a couple of articles today for my website. Article one talks about the history of the trailers I have owned along with a brief review of our Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer. (We love it by the way)

Article two is a simple Pros and Cons list of all of the trailers I have owned.

Regardless of whether you purchase an off road trailer or build one I hope you can find my experience helpful.
Thanks for sharing the links Chris, should be an interesting read.