Overland Trailers

• HTML tutorial

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Fair enough.... Though they do offer an option for "offroad Axle and tires". Plus, it really wouldn't be tough to add some diamond plate in key areas as needed.

Reactions: dletz71

Helipilot2

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oklahoma City
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Woody
Fair enough.... Though they do offer an option for "offroad Axle and tires". Plus, it really wouldn't be tough to add some diamond plate in key areas as needed.
Axle and suspension is easy enough for me to handle. It’s literally how that trailer is built and the materials used. It would fall apart, there is a reason some of these overland/off-road trailers are pricey, standard trailer materials just won’t last for some of us. You’d also need a 360 hitch, standard hitch simply wouldn’t have enough movement available for us. If there is wood frame or fiberglass walls, it’s an instant no for us.

Aeroscout

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Denver, CO
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Kennard
Member #

How do you like that slide out? Is there a manufacturer name on it?
Sorry for the delay, I just saw this. If you are referring to the slide out that runs the length of the interior, I love it. Incredibly handy. I don’t know if there is a name on it but will check.

Hartski

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Iowa
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hart
Member #

I am stumped guys, my wife and I found a trailer about 8 months back that was really cool but ever after looking through here and the manufacturers list I can't find it. It was a hard style with slide outs on each side which cleared room for the bed in the middle when the slide outs were open. You can put the slide outs away and they slid right over the bed.
Possibly a Teton X?

Reactions: juniorman

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

Portable Pillow Tanks: Wonder if anyone has experience with a collapsable tank? I have been looking for options to a poly tank for longer stays without taking up permanent space. I found this on US Plastic Corp site. They have a bunch of all sorts of tanks. Scout project is getting closer

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Mine is a work in progress, has been for quite a while haha, it's really only around for when we go on family trips. We run out of room pretty quick in the XJ when we have the all 4 of us plus a dog or two.

It's a Harbor Freight 8 foot Folding trailer. I bobbed 2 feet off the back, deleted the folding mechanism moved the axle forward and replaced the original axle with a 1 ton square tube unit and moved to a more standard 5 lug hub. I decked it with 2x8 planks and added tie down points all around and welded on steel fenders to fit the larger tires. Added a cross brace in each section of the frame. I've got the parts to build up a 3 axis hitch. Just need to get off my lazy butt and get the welder, grinder and cut off wheel out.

Need to add some basic mud flaps to keep from hucking stuff and people on the road.

Wanting to build up a "roll on roll off" setup so I can keep the utility of the flatbed for around town and the house while having a storage setup I can put on the trailer for trips. I've done a few napkin drawings trying to come up with something.

Another option I've considered is just putting stake bed pockets back on it, re-decking it with a solid floor and putting on bed sides when I want to haul camping cargo and just tarp the load like a covered wagon, which would be the simplest and most cost effective option I think.

When I first picked it up for 80 dollars. Original owner was going to do a small boat trailer and gave up on it.

Most of it stripped apart before cutting.

Bobbed

New axle installed and all the original bolt together joints welded up, the folding tongue has been welded in place and the folding hinge has been removed and the joint fully welded.

New paint, decking, tires/wheels and LED lights installed.

First test tow. Fenders in place, box on back is loaded with sand ballast for the test tow. Unloaded the trailer is quite bouncy, as in a good sharp bump will send the trailer tires airborne, loaded it's much better but I should really look at a revamped suspension than the slipper springs that originally came on the trailer. Maybe a standard leaf spring setup with a shackle.

Loaded for an actual trip. No off road on this trip though we towed it with my wife's Honda Pilot about 400 miles and setup camp in a state park. Towed well, couldn't tell it was back there most times.