AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
File under: There is no perfect trailer. My first trailer ever was an M416 with a fixed frame for an RTT, no lid. Then with help from many I built a super nice trailer that looked similar to a Turtleback Expedition trailer. I sold that when I got the opportunity to own an actual Turtleback. Then I had to sell that for other reasons and bought my VRV teardrop. I love my VRV but it is not a go anywhere trailer. So because I am insane and the only thing I am committed to is change and new projects I just picked up my "New" project. She is a real beauty. A 1954 M100. I have already removed the wood lid and I am in the process of going through everything to make sure the shocks are in good shape, tires, bearings, etc.

This trailer will stay lid free and tent free. It will be used as a gear hauler and kept fairly simple (I think). So since there is no perfect trailer I have decided to have 2. Yes, I am nuts....

The people I bought it from had it in their family for 30+ years. I told them I would take good care of her.

Happy trails... I may do a build thread at some point.

The ball hitch can be removed for the pintle. However I plan on extending the tongue and using a Lock-N-Roll hitch like my other trailer.

This has a older 6 pin connector but I will leave that alone for now just use a 4-pin adapter. Maybe down the road I convert it to a 7 pin if I add a tongue box and a battery. Again we will see...

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
This might take some good old fashioned homemade engineering but try the following: find a small trailer and take the bed off of it - get some marine grade wood and build a box for the frame - order a small camper door and window - paint the box with some high quality paint - build the interior out the way you want it. It's a start at least. I've seen some nice little camper trailers built for less than half the cost of a manufactured trailer. It's all about the adventure and that adventure can start in the workshop.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
This is exactly what I've started working towards. The RTT I plan to buy eventually will have a packed footprint of 4' x 6' so I'm trying to find a 4' x 6' trailer to start my build on but I'm finding 4' x 6' trailers are hard to find. Might have to settle for a 5' x 7' trailer but we'll see. A small utility trailer with a good strong frame should do the trick, since plywood comes in 4' widths that's how high I plan to go with my box. Keeps it low enough that it shouldn't be too much wind drag behind my lifted truck.

Reactions: Drifterman

augenholz

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Boppard, Germany
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Holz
Member #

Not really offroad but always an eye-catcher. Our funeral trailer we use for our steampunk events.

P1120449.jpgP1130689.jpg

P1110769.jpg

We transport steampunk objects with him.

P1030048.jpg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I visited Campers and Gear in Erie, Co today. They are an Ambassador shop for Off Grid Trailers from Canada. These trailers are amazing. If you are looking for a go anywhere teardrop trailer you should check them out. Built like a tank. I didn't get a chance to go to Expo West this year so it was nice to catch up with Ken and see the newest changes. The build quality is great and there are a few options like the additional front rack and roof mounted Propex heater that make this a great setup. Base price is $23,900. Not cheap but they are built to last.

Last edited:

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I visited Campers and Gear in Erie, Co today. They are an Ambassador shop for Off Grid Trailers from Canada. These trailers are amazing. If you are looking for a go anywhere teardrop trailer you should check them out. Built like a tank. I didn't get a chance to go to Expo West this year so it was nice to catch up with Ken and see the newest changes. The build quality is great and there are a few options like the additional front rack and roof mounted Propex heater that make this a great setup. Base price is $23,900. So not cheap but they trailers are also built to last.

I saw these at Expo this year, and really liked them. They aren't cheap but they do appear to be very well made and they don't require a huge down payment or have long lead times. It's one of those trailers that keeps cycling back through my mind.

HawkH3Alpha

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denton, TX, USA
Member #

Hawk

What is the Tepui ground tent thing? I can't find it on their site.
They only man
Hawk

What is the Tepui ground tent thing? I can't find it on their site.
It’s a tepui awning extension. Every once in awhile they circle back into production. I was lucky and picked my up when they did a new run 2 years ago.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

finished this project 5\31\2019. 2019 Runaway Range Runner square drop I converted from street to offroad. I fabricated entire new tongue w\Lock n Roll hitch & coupler, removed the entire factory suspension & installed shocks, new longer leaf springs, done all the electrical interior & exterior, solar: Renogy 30amp Adventurist Charge Controller, Renogy 100watt portable panel w\15ft. 10awg cable, 55amp Powermax Converter 3 stage charger, 125ah VMax Tank AGM battery, swing out spare tire carrier w\ Front Runner Drop Down Table, 2 gal Roto Fuel Pax, Rhino Rack Compact Batwing Awning, Tuff Stuff 6 1\2ft x 8 8ft Awning w\ Awning Shelter Room, removed the original stabilizer jacks & installed BAL C Series 28" Stabilizer Jacks, 2000lb Ram Front Jack, I added the rear storage area compartment for our camping gear, I done all the interior work, 7" custom short queen mattress, 235x75Rx15 General Grabbers ATX mounted on U.S. Wheels 8 spoke rim's 15"x8" 4 1\5" on 5 lug I had powdered coated Satin Black.
24" chassis ground clearance, 14" of axle clearance.
Entire build thread start to finish New Trailer Project: Range Runner
007.JPG004.JPG014.JPG006.JPG007.JPG005.JPG014.JPG003.JPGView attachment 105147014.JPG010.JPG010.JPG065.JPG014.JPG

Last edited:

Hartski

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Iowa
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Wow, there are so many amazing rigs in this thread, Both built and bought! I was wanting to build one on my own, but time and energy are always a factor.
The wife and I pulled the trigger and put money down on a 2019 Boreas XT from Into The Wild Overland. They are building it now and should be delivered around the 4th of July. I can't wait to get it and post pictures!