bshinn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

China Grove, NC, USA
Member #

New Crux 1610 owner here!

View attachment 89279
Finally had a dry weekend here in NC and I was able to set the living quarters up at home so I didn't have to fight with it on a Friday evening with darkness approaching. Glad I did, I took about 2hrs and a bunch of head scratching to figure it out. Drove it home in a moderate to heavy rain about 1.5hrs and water intruded into the cover soaking the canvas pretty well. Thank god it's been pretty cool here as well as there are no signs of mildew. After figuring it out the 1st time, I think I can have it setup in 30-45 min going forward, but that's still longer than I would like.

Attachments

bshinn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

China Grove, NC, USA
Member #

Finally had a dry weekend here in NC and I was able to set the living quarters up at home so I didn't have to fight with it on a Friday evening with darkness approaching. Glad I did, I took about 2hrs and a bunch of head scratching to figure it out. Drove it home in a moderate to heavy rain about 1.5hrs and water intruded into the cover soaking the canvas pretty well. Thank god it's been pretty cool here as well as there are no signs of mildew. After figuring it out the 1st time, I think I can have it setup in 30-45 min going forward, but that's still longer than I would like.

So far, I'm happy with the basic quality of the trailer but the quality of the electrical system leaves a little to be desired. The wiring, while functional was not neat by any means. Some of this I attribute to some aftermarket work the dealership did, but some was factory build quality. When I 1st got it home, I powered the fridge up (Dometic CF50) to see how long it would run. It made it until sometime Tuesday before shutting down due to low voltage (12.5V). I plugged the charger into AC power, but It would not charge indicating the batteries had a full charge. With the quality of the charger, I decided to pull the inverter as well and check it out. There were screws and spacers that hold the main circuit board to the case that were stripped and rolling around inside the case and the board was loose. After some contemplation, I decided to delete the AC power from the trailer to save the space and hassle of dragging the trailer 90 miles away for warranty work.

I replaced the charger with a NOCO Gen2 20A dual battery charger/maintainer and added a shore power port while I was at it. I am in the process of cleaning up the wiring harness, and once that's accomplished I don't see any other issues.

It finally dried out enough here to open it up and check everything out. erecting the annex is a workout!

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

So far, I'm happy with the basic quality of the trailer but the quality of the electrical system leaves a little to be desired. The wiring, while functional was not neat by any means. Some of this I attribute to some aftermarket work the dealership did, but some was factory build quality. When I 1st got it home, I powered the fridge up (Dometic CF50) to see how long it would run. It made it until sometime Tuesday before shutting down due to low voltage (12.5V). I plugged the charger into AC power, but I would not charge indicating the batteries had a full charge. With the quality of the charger, I decided to pull the inverter as well and check it out. There were screws and spacers that hold the main circuit board to the case that were stripped and rolling around inside the case and the board was loose. After some contemplation, I decided to delete the AC power from the trailer to save the space and hassle of dragging the trailer 90 miles away for warranty work.

I replaced the charger with a NOCO Gen2 20A dual battery charger/maintainer and added a shore d saw power port while I was at it. I am in the process of cleaning up the wiring harness, and once that's accomplished I don't see any other issues.

It finally dried out enough here to open it up and check everything out. erecting the annex is a workout!
I think bad wiring must be an industry standard. I'll be picking up a Clipper Express (post #312 above) in a few weeks and that will be the first thing I will be modifying. I laughed when I looked underneath and saw how poorly it was done. The dealership offers a 1 to 3 hour orientation session when you pick it up. Mine shouldn't even take an hour … except … that I will be asking how many modifications and improvements I can make without voiding the 1 year warranty.

Sonarman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North SF bay area
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Arietta
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KMA6AIU
Service Branch
US Submarine Force
Worked on solar panel wiring and switch panel installation.

Attachments

Reactions: Drifterman

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I just brought this home yesterday. It's a Clipper Express 9.0td. I'll be spending today crawling around in and underneath it to figure out what I have and how I want to modify it. I have lots of ideas (axle, wheels, fenders, racks, etc.) … just want to be sure they will work. It trailered great. Most of the trip was in the rain and it was pouring when I got home so I didn't want to open it up. The last pic is from the web so that trailer isn't mine.

19-04-08 2.JPG19-04-08 4.JPGthumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

ben10

Rank II

Advocate I

Looking for some information on a trailer I bought. It's a 78 title just says off road for manufacturer. The old timer I bought it from says it was made by dick cepek but I cant find any info on it. Has some cool coil spring j arm suspension, slide out tailgate that turns into a table, 2 Jerry can mounts on the fenders, propane tank holder and a hilift mount. He said it's probably been through the baja about 20 times behind his commando. Hadn't moved in 10 years until today when I took it home.20190411_140620.jpg20190411_141747.jpg20190411_140559.jpg20190411_140607.jpg20190411_141038.jpg20190411_140628.jpg

Sleepovr

Rank 0

Contributor I

Here is a quick evolution of our echo 3.
The first change was to remove the spare tire and add a box to hold the fridge.
Resized_20170531_182521_9088.jpeg
We made a larger awning for our trip to Hiada Gwaii. It rained for 2 weeks straight in August so it worked out well.
IMG_20170815_185434.jpg
This sping we removed the echo tent then added a Treeline Outdoors Ponderosa tent, annex as well as the Darche 270 awning.
IMG_20190419_143341.jpgIMG_20190419_153559.jpg