Launch Member

Contributor III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
harris
Member #

well it’s almost time for new tires on my excursion. i’ve always been partial to bfg’s t/a ko2. currently running 35x12.5x18
looking for input from everyone, please.
i’ve researched nitto’s and they seem to get good reviews.
curious on what everyone likes, longevity, and use. most of my off roading is hard pack trails, or sand. truck is to heavy for mud.
thanks in advance for input!!!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i ran bfgs on nearly every rig i've had since my first jeep in the 80s and really liked them. i just recently put toyo open country a/ts on my tundra and have about 20k on them and think they are pretty good for an a/t that is mostly on paved but can get off in some sand, mud, etc.

the toyo seems to have good reviews for offroad and the price was good

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I used to run BFG and Falken WIld Peaks, I am currently on Milestar Patagonia and i gotta give it two thumbs up they have held up great and are fairly cheaper which is a plus

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

On my 2500 and 3500 diesel Ram's I've ran everything from Super swampers, Toyos, Coopers, and now Falken Wildpeak A/t 3w. The swampers side walls cracked out and leaked after 1 year. The toyo's and the cooper stt... bald.. BALD after 1 year. And 1 year being about 12k miles. So far the Falkens are the only tire that's held up to that heavy engine. They've been on for 18k miles so far, and the look brand new. I thought this weekend I'd have my maxtrax out for sure... nope. I've been in silt, clay, mud, sand... even on all terrains... never lost a beat on traction. I'm sold on these for life. And they have a wear warranty as well!

Reactions: s harris and BCMoto

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cooper ST Maxx is a great upgrade from the BFG ATKO's. Assuming that you don't want to go MT.

If going MT: Cooper STT, Maxxis Rzr, Toyo MT.

If you balding STT's and especially the harder Toyo MT's in one year, 12,000 miles, then something is very very wrong. Alignment, rotations, excessive cornering speeds. My STT's were in new condition at 12,000. Slight feathering of the front required a rotation.

Reactions: ChambersFamily

ChambersFamily

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Plains, OR, USA
First Name
Marshall
Last Name
Chambers
Member #

Cooper ST Maxx is a great upgrade from the BFG ATKO's. Assuming that you don't want to go MT.

If going MT: Cooper STT, Maxxis Rzr, Toyo MT.

If you balding STT's and especially the harder Toyo MT's in one year, 12,000 miles, then something is very very wrong. Alignment, rotations, excessive cornering speeds. My STT's were in new condition at 12,000. Slight feathering of the front required a rotation.
It was definitely in alignment, I didn’t rotate every 3k as all those 37’s were just a a pain with it being a dually. The biggest difference between that truck and my current truck... 17” wheels vs 20”. The front axel weight on the dually was 6500 lbs. So you can see in the beach pic they were fairly round, the tire would roll a bit full turn. My new truck doesn’t have as much sidewall and it’s a much flatter wear. These pics were 1 month and 3 months prior to me selling. I had a close up of the day I sold it but for the life of me can’t find it lol. But you can see in the desert pic it sat very square, I put in dyna track ball joints about 1 year prior to that pic, and went to crossover steering. Had it aligned pretty regularly but all you can do is castor and toe. At 487k miles I was able to experiment with different setups.

AND... mud tires... that truck spent 75% of its life on the highway....

Attachments

Reactions: MidOH

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

My favorite tires are the ones that get me there and back with issues. I have always run KOs or General’s. I replace my KO’s with KO2’s only got 28k miles on them. I rotated the spare and purchased 3 more, if I get less then 35k miles I will go with the General’s. I have buddies that run Tokyo’s and like them.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It was definitely in alignment, I didn’t rotate every 3k as all those 37’s were just a a pain with it being a dually. The biggest difference between that truck and my current truck... 17” wheels vs 20”. The front axel weight on the dually was 6500 lbs. So you can see in the beach pic they were fairly round, the tire would roll a bit full turn. My new truck doesn’t have as much sidewall and it’s a much flatter wear. These pics were 1 month and 3 months prior to me selling. I had a close up of the day I sold it but for the life of me can’t find it lol. But you can see in the desert pic it sat very square, I put in dyna track ball joints about 1 year prior to that pic, and went to crossover steering. Had it aligned pretty regularly but all you can do is castor and toe. At 487k miles I was able to experiment with different setups.

AND... mud tires... that truck spent 75% of its life on the highway....
Ack. Missed that it was a DRW. Yeah the extra rear grip, extreme heavy understeer, makes turning even more nasty on the front tires.

I rotate the stock sized DRW work trucks every 20. Which isn't often enough. 10 would be preferred. No more than 5 with MT's. I can skip weight lifting any week I rotate tires on the work truck.

Super singles might be a better overlanding option. But I've only seen them on narrower chassis cab DRW trucks.

UltimaSanctus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
B
Last Name
W
Member #

I really like the General Grabber ATX's I have on my Tahoe. Plenty of grip even when I get the urge to do dumb "highschool kid" stuff and they won't break traction at street pressure. Had them for about a year and a half and they have about half life left. Probably would have more but I still drive like I have a small hatchback

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
I loved my KOs but they no longer make them in my size so I'm picking up some Achilles Desert Hawk M\Ts today. Slim pickings in 14" :(

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I always heard good things about General Grabber AT2s but our 4Runner's set (stock size) are crazy loud. They're wearing terribly too. For the first maybe 5k miles,I think I had them over-inflated as the center started to wear much faster. At Discount Tire's recommendation, I've ran them underinflated for the last 20k miles. The outside is still not catching up in wear and they're now just plain noisy, starting to cup too. Our Jeep's KO2s though are super quiet and are wearing perfectly. So, I think I'll continue with KO2s for both vehicles for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: s harris