Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Our aircraft engine fire extinguishers were charged with HFC125. I figure if its dafe enough for a million dollar gas turbine full of exotic metals its probably safe for an engine bay.

Id love to.have a precharged/routed system like they sell for race applications with an internal pullhandle. The simpler systems are actually reasonably priced.
I totally agree. Our aircraft all use Halon based pots protecting millions of dollars of exotic metals and hard to replace or irreplaceable parts. You have to protect your life and property the best way you can. Purple K is not allowed into our hangars nor around our aircraft, period.
IMG_1213 2.jpg

bshagopian

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I totally agree. Our aircraft all use Halon based pots protecting millions of dollars of exotic metals and hard to replace or irreplaceable parts. You have to protect your life and property the best way you can. Purple K is not allowed into our hangars nor around our aircraft, period.
DUDE! Is that an Mi-24P? Im totally in love. Last time I got to play around with a hind was at WTI in Yuma, AZ. I apologize for geeking out on the Fire Safety thread, but @HeliSniper your speaking my language, don't be surprised if I PM you now.
Getting back to the topic, I found another innovative fire extinguisher called a "Firevase" for the home. I know its not vehicle based, but still a cool way to get people to have an extinguishing agent readily available in the home. I could see using this as a knee jerk reaction to an initial fire source but not as a replacement for a fire bottle that you can control and direct. Its a potassium carbonate (not bicarbonate) based wet agent and should do well against most common house fires, though I don't know how well it would perform against electrical.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
It’s ironic that I came across this thread this weekend. This last week at work I was able to attend fire extinguisher certification class sponsored by the city. I have been through these classes before first time was when I was at fire fighting school in the Navy(a training all sailors go through). These classes are great for basic and refreshing the memory. I enjoy seeing first timers hit the release handle

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Just received my Amerex B385TS, 2.5Lb Halotron, Class B/C Extinguisher.

Thanks to all for posting up information about the differences between extinguishers.
I used to have an old school one in my 4Runner, but this style seems to be a better fit.
Hopefully I won't have to use it.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Downs

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
When I was an aviation photographer I spent most of my time on various flight lines both military and civilian around the country in my work truck. I had a 20# CO2, 2 5# Halons and a 10# ABC mounted in the bed and easily reached if needed. I also had a 5# Halon mounted on the floor in front of my seat and a 5# ABC on the other side. I realize this seems like over kill Sometimes I was the only one within 5 minutes of responding, if something expensive is on fire there is no such thing as too much.

I have 3 5# extinguishers in my Willys. I have a 5# Halon (1211) and 2 5# ABC (3A, 40BC) mounted in steel brackets with rubber straps. I used to have a 5# Purple K but kept getting it and the 5# ABC confused so I went with 2 ABC's.

Yup, I know sounds like a lot of overkill. After the fire is out I have never once heard anyone complain about too many extinguishers or having one that didn't get used. Once things get to burning too much is just about right, especially if it's my stuff.

Here's a pic of the brackets I use, easy to use and secure.

extinguisher bracket.jpg

RallyRover18

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMUMW5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IME6DbEDK6M2T/URL] I wouldn’t mind having a 5# but that’s a big extinguisher. It seems this is a good 2.5 lb one. I’m also contemplating if I should carry an ABC for putting out any brush fires or anything I come across. Does anyone carry a BC for under the hood and something different for brush etc?

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
When I was an aviation photographer I spent most of my time on various flight lines both military and civilian around the country in my work truck. I had a 20# CO2, 2 5# Halons and a 10# ABC mounted in the bed and easily reached if needed. I also had a 5# Halon mounted on the floor in front of my seat and a 5# ABC on the other side. I realize this seems like over kill Sometimes I was the only one within 5 minutes of responding, if something expensive is on fire there is no such thing as too much.

I have 3 5# extinguishers in my Willys. I have a 5# Halon (1211) and 2 5# ABC (3A, 40BC) mounted in steel brackets with rubber straps. I used to have a 5# Purple K but kept getting it and the 5# ABC confused so I went with 2 ABC's.

Yup, I know sounds like a lot of overkill. After the fire is out I have never once heard anyone complain about too many extinguishers or having one that didn't get used. Once things get to burning too much is just about right, especially if it's my stuff.

Here's a pic of the brackets I use, easy to use and secure.

View attachment 129892
I am glad to hear I am not the only one out there that does this I carry 4 5# abc extinguishers in my personal vehicle 5 5# abc in my company truck 2 2.5# abc in my company ranger 1 10# abc 1 5# purple K in the snow plow at work pretty much all mounted with a similar bracket. A year ago I was involved in a accident the investigator asked me “why so many extinguishers?” My response “have you ever seen a fire truck on a Jeep trail?” He replied “good point I better buy a few more”

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
[] I wouldn’t mind having a 5# but that’s a big extinguisher. It seems this is a good 2.5 lb one. I’m also contemplating if I should carry an ABC for putting out any brush fires or anything I come across. Does anyone carry a BC for under the hood and something different for brush etc?
Something to think about how much would it cost to make a "new" rig to replace the one you know and love now? With fires bigger is better, I've never heard any complain that they had some left after the fire was out. I have heard many times "I wish I had 2 or 3 of these or a bigger one" when they were out and the fire kept burning. What ever you buy get a quality one with a metal valve that can be recharged.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Maybe it was posted earlier & I missed it, but have y’all seen the YouTube video of Casey’s Jeep going up in flames & burning to a crisp?

search coyote works on YouTube.

I need a good mounting solution in my Frontier. Would like to do driver’s floorboard at the base of my seat. Gotta happen soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Maybe it was posted earlier & I missed it, but have y’all seen the YouTube video of Casey’s Jeep going up in flames & burning to a crisp?

search coyote works on YouTube.

I need a good mounting solution in my Frontier. Would like to do driver’s floorboard at the base of my seat. Gotta happen soon.
1577778517193.png
1577778578485.png
1577778619494.png$59.99 on Amazon.

1577778974546.png$96.91 on Amazon.........
H3R Performance SM01BK Fire Extinguisher Seat Mount
You really do not hit it with your heels, once you have the bracket adjusted as close to the seat without interference,.....AND your seat position is set for you. Allows quick and easy accessibility when you need it. I have read where people have mounted 2 (driver/passenger) using 2 different type units to tackle different fire types.

******** Saw that vidio, and have made comment on it before..........DOWNRIGHT SCARY. I think he carries 3 now, as does some on this board, for just that reason. A situation where 2 is one, and 3 might be adequate.......ERR....hope is adequate.*******

PS, Buy a metal head/rechargeable fire bottle, no cheap plastic unit.

Reactions: Munga Brown

Munga Brown

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Thanks for the bracket info!

I've seen the Bracketeer before, but not sure that it'll fit my Frontier. I've got plastic surrounds that cover the sides of my seats that wrap around & cover the front of the seat rails. I'll take another look & I'll check out that million dollar jobbie, too.

That WAS a scary situation in his video!

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have the bracketeer in my GMC 1500 it works well just don't slide the seat all the way forward or it will dislodge the bracket, ask me how I know!!!!! LOL

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I know it's off-topic, but I just gotta say that's one hell of an "overland" vehicle you got there...

It's the only one I've seen that would make an Earth-Roamer feel inadequit.

1577806931964.png

Reactions: rkerr188 and M Rose

Munga Brown

Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

i've got a Bracketeer in my forester on the passenger seat rails. fits perfect. i suggest it. mega easy install. i also have some plastic tabs on my rails and they dont get in the way.
Yeah, Wifey's old (2011) Forester rails were a LOT different than my Frontier's. I'd have to cut plastic trim off and I'm not sure I wanna do that (yet).

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've seen new fuel injected rigs catch fire from a fuel leak. Gasoline under high pressure makes a very intense fire. I have 2 Element sticks and 2 1lb and a 2.5lb DC. I recently added a FireAde extinguisher mainly for fuel fires, it appears to be like foam I used in the military years ago. Very affordable.

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
that fire couldve ended very very bad, but i am glad it didnt. that garage wouldve been done for. but thank you for the real world example and lesson

Abreu93

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Berwick, PA, USA
First Name
Erickson
Last Name
Abreu
I have been a dealer of the Element Fire Extinguishers for a couple years and am a huge fan. This technology has been around for a long time and is especially popular overseas. No mess, no expiration, easy to stow and no need to refill. I keep mine in the glove box or center console.View attachment 134308View attachment 134309
i really really like this solution, incase of a roll over that your so messed up and cant get a fire extinguisher or something just incase.

Reactions: HuddExpo

Jrodrigues1278

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Rodrigues
Member #

Great post. A lot of information to take in. Her is a link I found that has some additional information:

In order to make sure I processed all of this information and taking account the different situations that overlanding exposes us to; would it be safe to assume that utilizing a Halotron ABC metal extinguisher in the appropriate sizes would be best?