Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
One of the most informative threads I think I've ever read. I think my take-away is some kind of quick-response BC extinguisher in the cab incase of engine or electrical dash fire (preferably non-corrosive), and something bigger ABC type thing incase things get more out of control, or you have a small grassfire starting near your rig or campfire.

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

One of the most informative threads I think I've ever read. I think my take-away is some kind of quick-response BC extinguisher in the cab incase of engine or electrical dash fire (preferably non-corrosive), and something bigger ABC type thing incase things get more out of control, or you have a small grassfire starting near your rig or campfire.
With the information I found, I finally decided to carry a 10-pound CO2 in my truck, due to the care of the electrical system and other parts of the car if needed.
It also seems like a good idea to have a smaller one that is somewhat multi-use.
Blessings.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
If you follow....coyote works on YOU TUBE, he filmed his jeep going up in flames, due to a electrical short I believe in the middle of no where. Used up a bottle or 2.....NO JOY., a complete loss.

So having a bottle or 2 is good. This thread was very informative for size and types, and what would work best. It gave me ideas, especially mounting in the cab, in front of the seat footwell. A close at hand position if ever needed quick.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
If you follow....coyote works on YOU TUBE, he filmed his jeep going up in flames, due to a electrical short I believe in the middle of no where. Used up a bottle or 2.....NO JOY., a complete loss.

So having a bottle or 2 is good. This thread was very informative for size and types, and what would work best. It gave me ideas, especially mounting in the cab, in front of the seat footwell. A close at hand position if ever needed quick.
I had one catch fire while driving. I got stopped, and got my own out plus the a guy at a gas station and a nearby truck driver. A total of 25 pounds and no joy until a fire truck got there.

The hood release had burnt through by the time I got stopped.

Attachments

bshagopian

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I had one catch fire while driving. I got stopped, and got my own out plus the a guy at a gas station and a nearby truck driver. A total of 25 pounds and no joy until a fire truck got there.

Wow that's rough. Sorry that your car was totaled, but glad your alive. Guess it shows you can never have too many extinguishers on hand.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Wow that's rough. Sorry that your car was totaled, but glad your alive. Guess it shows you can never have too many extinguishers on hand.
I’d love to hear the 911 tape of my call. I was grabbing stuff frantically to get it out, think coyote works Jeep, while on the phone when something under hood exploded. Scared the crap outta me.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS

Those hood releases seem to be the first thing to go. I've fought a few car fires and never had one work by the time we got here. We used to use a big prybar to get it open. Now that we have our battery powered "jaws of life" we grab that and pop the hood open in seconds.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Those hood releases seem to be the first thing to go. I've fought a few car fires and never had one work by the time we got here. We used to use a big prybar to get it open. Now that we have our battery powered "jaws of life" we grab that and pop the hood open in seconds.
That’s exactly what happened. Dallas FD cut the hood hinges to get to the engine bay.

Reactions: Downs

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I’d love to hear the 911 tape of my call. I was grabbing stuff frantically to get it out, think coyote works Jeep, while on the phone when something under hood exploded. Scared the crap outta me.
Yep, I watch the Coyote Works YT channel. He's keeps one heckuva kit!

Gordo_K

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Northern Virginia
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Slaton
Member #

Oddly enough I have extinguishers in the garage, workshop and kitchen, but it didn't occur to me to have one in my truck. Glad I'm starting with boot camp info.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

I have been a dealer of the Element Fire Extinguishers for a couple years and am a huge fan. This technology has been around for a long time and is especially popular overseas. No mess, no expiration, easy to stow and no need to refill. I keep mine in the glove box or center console.
I carry two Element 50 fire extinguishers. They're a pretty amazing piece of technology. Each is about a foot long, about an inch in diameter, weighs ~9.6oz, and is estimated to pack the A-B-C-K fire suppression capability of 5 5lb bottle extinguishers. So 2 would supposedly be equivalent to roughly ~"50lbs extinguisher" on a wheeled dolly weighing ~170lbs. If those numbers are anything close to real, it's over 100x more suppression per pound than standard extinguishers at a tenth of the price for similar suppression capability. Like the more expensive Halotron extinguishers, the Element extinguishers leave no residue. Additionally, no fancy mounting is required. I stuck the included brackets to the door-side of the driver seat and near the rear hatch at the base of the D-Pillar, but you could drop them in a glovebox, a door pocket, or a seatback pocket, or add a strip of velcro and stick it on any carpet surface - at under 10oz, they present less of a hazard than your BigGulp in an accident. In the demo in the video below, note that the grill's gas was still **ON** when he put the fire out. Element has a bunch of other videos up on YouTube.

Full disclosure: I paid full price for my Element 50's and no compensation was provided for this review.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I carry two Element 50 fire extinguishers. They're a pretty amazing piece of technology. Each is about a foot long, about an inch in diameter, weighs ~9.6oz, and is estimated to pack the A-B-C-K fire suppression capability of 5 5lb bottle extinguishers. So 2 would supposedly be equivalent to roughly ~"50lbs extinguisher" on a wheeled dolly weighing ~170lbs. If those numbers are anything close to real, it's over 100x more suppression per pound than standard extinguishers at a tenth of the price for similar suppression capability. Like the more expensive Halotron extinguishers, the Element extinguishers leave no residue. Additionally, no fancy mounting is required. I stuck the included brackets to the door-side of the driver seat and near the rear hatch at the base of the D-Pillar, but you could drop them in a glove-box, a door pocket, or a seat back pocket, or add a strip of Velcro and stick it on any carpet surface - at under 10oz, they present less of a hazard than your Big Gulp in an accident. In the demo in the video below, note that the grill's gas was still **ON** when he put the fire out. Element has a bunch of other videos up on YouTube.

Full disclosure: I paid full price for my Element 50's and no compensation was provided for this review.:joycat::flushed::dizzy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was a heck of a video, and I really like the LENGTH of USE, as it really lasted way past the actual fire. For the convenience, and overall price, being unable to shut it off is not a big deal. Not having a expiration date is great also. I have 3 fire bottles which are sidelined because of pressure loss.

I had bought a replacement HALON for the kitchen ($$), just to avoid a powder clean-up if a extinguisher was ever needed in the kitchen. The residue gets over everything and everywhere. I have some ABC bottles in various garage and house locations. I wish I had known about this product earlier in the year when I bought the new bottles:dizzy:

Thank You for the linked video, pictures/videos drive home the message better than words! :sunglasses:

Reactions: LostInThought

WPRountree

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Statham, Oconee County, Georgia, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Rountree
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4TRG
I can’t stress enough about making sure an extinguisher is strapped down! Recently had a buddy that kept one in the back floor board have a misfire when his wife picked it up to move it. Apparently all that time rolling around you could end up snatching the pin out! It’s not a mess you want to clean up.

Great article! Gotta find a good mounting point in the 110 now!

ButcherShop

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Eastvale, California, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Butcher
Member #

Where do ya find them?

DintDobbs

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
I have an ABC and a marine extinguisher (good for electrical fires) but am at a loss for where to put them. The only occasion on which I might ever need one (besides helping others, of course) is in the event of a rollover, in which case it would fall out of place. The mounts that came with them are not designed to take the rough stuff that a 4x4 goes through in a day.

My truck is a 2-door and the front seat moves to allow rear passengers in and out, so mounting to the floor in front of the passenger seat is not an option. Otherwise, that would be my preferred location.

Mounting outside is also not an option; it would strike objects on the trail, and debris would clog up the nozzle.

Dave Snyder

Rank VI
Investor

Trail Blazer II

Greenfield Township, Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Snyder
Member #

I'm carrying two Element 50 extinguishers. One mounted in the cab on a Desert Does it molle panel on the driver's seat. The other one is under the driver's seat for now. Planning to mount it in the truck cap when I get that far with the build.IMG_20221005_175837950.jpg

4X3Lander

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

California, United States
First Name
Don
Last Name
4X3Lander
Member #

I'm carrying two Element 50 extinguishers. One mounted in the cab on a Desert Does it molle panel on the driver's seat. The other one is under the driver's seat for now. Planning to mount it in the truck cap when I get that far with the build.View attachment 247326
I’m carrying two of these as well. One is mounted on each side of the shifter on my Molle panel.

Reactions: Dave Snyder