Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Great write up. I always carry a fire extinguisher in my JKU. I should probably get one for the GC as well just to have.
where do you mount yours. Im able to pick up a 10 lb general ABC for free. just wondering where to mount it safely

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
where do you mount yours. Im able to pick up a 10 lb general ABC for free. just wondering where to mount it safely
I have a small automotive fire extinguisher mounted to my rear passenger side roll bar. I believe the fabric holder I use to keep it in place is from Rugged Ridge.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ok cool, I may actually have a 5 pounder. Not sure to be honest 20160319_171126.jpg 20160319_171112.jpg

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Yah that's bigger than mine. I'll take a pic of it when I can, just in case you're still working on getting it mounted.

seekerbeta

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Langley, BC
Member #

I worked for a Fire company for the last couple years, 5Lb ABC can be had for less than 40$, cheap insurance policy. put a 2.5lbs under the seat, and then a 5 or 10lb in the back, so i can start fighting the fire while my wife gets the big guns, i also recommend that you get one with a Hose/Nozzle, then you can pop the hood, stick it under, and pull the trigger, instead of having to open the hood all the way.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
I worked for a Fire company for the last couple years, 5Lb ABC can be had for less than 40$, cheap insurance policy. put a 2.5lbs under the seat, and then a 5 or 10lb in the back, so i can start fighting the fire while my wife gets the big guns, i also recommend that you get one with a Hose/Nozzle, then you can pop the hood, stick it under, and pull the trigger, instead of having to open the hood all the way.
I agree with having more that one unit and one being able to reach while you are inside.

I carry at least two 2.5 lbs all metal units. I always encourage fellow wheelers to buy good units. Please don't go to but a tiny plastic or 'racing' cheap thing that gives you 1-2 burst or none at all.

On the jeep it's mounted between the driver and passenger so either of us can reach it while still strapped in. And the other on the rear of the roll bar for myself or anyone to grab. This applies more doing harder trails and lines where rollover could happen at anytime.

On the 4runnner, the more overland vehicle, I carry 3. Two are mounted on the roof rack and one inside.

Side note: I would have your units recharged and checked after two years.

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
Video from the JK experience guys, skip to 19:10 for the fire stuff. The guys quick reactions and having a fire extinguisher saved his rig.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Mine stays on the cargo barrier. Mounted with big flat washers against the cage. Its solid. Huge medkit fits next to it.

I have always carried one since about 12 years ago when my buddies Nissan 300Z was totalled due to engine fire the day after the nissan dealer messed with it. Still mad about that and it wasn't even mine, but I did spend a lot of hours wrenching on it.

Last edited:

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

A few of key point to keep in mind with fire extinguishers.

They must be checked regularly for pressure and make sure they haven't caked up due to vehicle vibrations. The powder in extinguishers is about 100 times finer than baby powder which give it the ability to flow like a liquid but leaves it susceptible to caking. To do this you rotate the extinguisher so the nozzle is towards the ground and shake vigorously or tap it with a rubber mallet. We lost a $325,000 truck because paper got on the turbo and when the driver attempted to use the extinguisher the powder was caked up and it wouldn't work. Once he tried the extinguisher and nothing came out he didn't know to turn it over and shake it to get the material to flow.

The second is knowing and teaching others with you the P.A.S.S. method. Pull, the pin. Aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire. Squeeze, the handle. Sweep back and forth across the fire.

I will add one other comment. When you are using a dry chemical extinguisher, the extinguishing agent is acting like a blanket to remove the oxygen. So you want to cover the fire completely, by using the entire contents of the extinguisher. Once the extinguisher is discharged the powder contaminates the seal and the propellant will leak out. You will not be able to use the extinguisher again until it is disassembled, cleaned, refilled and recharged.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I had the unfortunate pleasure to battle a vehicle fire last week. My son and I were solo on a road trip and a couple miles out into the high county looking for a camp site for the night.

I had an accessory wiring harness under the hood short out and start a fire. It burned beyond the point of tracking down the exact origin as it took out nearly all of my accessory circuits. Fustrating as they were all fused so I'd really like to know what happened.

Anyway after I recognized the smell of electrical fire and the smoke coming from the battery tray area I jumped into action. After coming to a stop I retrieved extinguisher from my cargo area and commenced discharging it. What sucked, and is common with this type of fire, is that until the circuit is broken you can't really get the fire out. I simply continued to knock down the flames. Between bursts I retrieved a wrench to disconnect the + battery terminal.

I was able to contain the fire and only suffered some very minor damage to any OEM systems of the truck. 90 minutes later we were mobile again with all OEM systems fully functional and the burned looms removed.

I carry a 2.5lb Halguard extinguisher now. A coule changes I will be making:

1. I will keep a pair of leather gloves next to my extinguisher. With those I could have simply grabbed the wire shorting and ripped it out breaking the circuit.

2. I will be moving the 2.5lb up into reach of the driver's seat.

3. I will mount a larger 5lb Halguard in the cargo area.

4. I will be adding a battery disconnect switch.

5. I'm considering a race car style hard mounted fire system where you simply active a switch on the dash to flood the engine compartment with suppression.

All in all I consider myself very lucky. We were miles away from the nearest door and many many more from town. I'm a firm believer in Halguard. Chemical agents are highly corrosive. After my fire was out there was no residue and I could immediately get started on trail repairs. I've used a chemical unit before and will never again unless it's a matter of life and death.

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Hate to hear about your fire experience but I'm glad you are unscathed. The battery disconnect is probably the best thing you can add to assist with electrical fires and they also assist as a theft deterrent. A race style system mounted in the engine compartment takes quite a bit of upkeep, especially on an off road vehicle. This is an issue we deal with in our garbage truck and we are continually looking for a good reliable option to protect our $350,000 trucks. At this point we haven't come up with an option.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Man that's crazy on the fire but so glad he caught it so quick and was able to get the jeep started back up. I'm definitely getting 1-2 fire extinguishers cause it's better to have and not need then need and not have. Great thread and advice!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I had the unfortunate pleasure to battle a vehicle fire last week. My son and I were solo on a road trip and a couple miles out into the high county looking for a camp site for the night.

I had an accessory wiring harness under the hood short out and start a fire. It burned beyond the point of tracking down the exact origin as it took out nearly all of my accessory circuits. Fustrating as they were all fused so I'd really like to know what happened.

Anyway after I recognized the smell of electrical fire and the smoke coming from the battery tray area I jumped into action. After coming to a stop I retrieved extinguisher from my cargo area and commenced discharging it. What sucked, and is common with this type of fire, is that until the circuit is broken you can't really get the fire out. I simply continued to knock down the flames. Between bursts I retrieved a wrench to disconnect the + battery terminal.

I was able to contain the fire and only suffered some very minor damage to any OEM systems of the truck. 90 minutes later we were mobile again with all OEM systems fully functional and the burned looms removed.

I carry a 2.5lb Halguard extinguisher now. A coule changes I will be making:

1. I will keep a pair of leather gloves next to my extinguisher. With those I could have simply grabbed the wire shorting and ripped it out breaking the circuit.

2. I will be moving the 2.5lb up into reach of the driver's seat.

3. I will mount a larger 5lb Halguard in the cargo area.

4. I will be adding a battery disconnect switch.

5. I'm considering a race car style hard mounted fire system where you simply active a switch on the dash to flood the engine compartment with suppression.

All in all I consider myself very lucky. We were miles away from the nearest door and many many more from town. I'm a firm believer in Halguard. Chemical agents are highly corrosive. After my fire was out there was no residue and I could immediately get started on trail repairs. I've used a chemical unit before and will never again unless it's a matter of life and death.
So sorry to hear about the fire and damage! Glad you had the right tool to keep it from turning into something much worse. Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience with us!

Reactions: Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Damn my bad corbet after I read this whole thread I watched the video and saw that the jeep had the wiring fire issue. I'm glad everything turned out good on for you and your son.