Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Nudnik on the TAT in Arkansas and Hadassah at Caprock Canyons in Texas....
It looks like your using a military type vest arrangement with MOLLE attachment bags. I have the ICEFANG K-9 vest on my pup. It fits her pretty good, L size/44 lbs (Size-Medium would have been better for her). Her weight with another 8-10 pounds on her will be perfect (14 months now). Fit my former GSP (74 lbs), with the straps a little looser, fitting him well.

My question is, why choose the system you did, over a dedicated Dog pack system. How is it on staying balanced?, beyond weight distribution factors. Do you find the CHEST CROSS STRAP on your K-9 vest, works okay, or do you think the Icefang style "Y" chest strap would work better to keep the load comfortably balanced on your pups outings. So far with my past dog, and my new Girl, there has been no sign of chaffing or soreness associated with it.

It does not take long for them to eagerly look forward to outings when they think an adventure/road trip is in the works. A pack makes them think they have a job to do, and I have seen dogs very happy with a pack on.

1576383630244.png This is the one I have, metal front buckle/ HD plastic girth buckle. At the time I ordered, the rear metal buckle version was not available, due to being sold out and/or on back-order. You can see the inner body panel side is cushioned and ventilated for comfort.

PS> I am really contemplating adding MOLLE bags to it, as well. Just had her CHIPPED (Home-Again), along with all her boosters and rabies. The Home-Again chip gets good reviews for not migrating under the skin like some alternative brands. Bought on Amazon $10.00, and our vet did it for free as he was administering her other shots.........SWEET :sunglasses: vs $80-100 straight up from some vets. Enrollment is $19.00 a year, but you can specify no annual, and do it yearly, to avoid continuous auto-pay. Your information will be kept and saved regardless of payment chosen. So once enrolled, your pet is in the database if ever lost.
1576390053546.png
This is ZARA (Belgian Melinois), not a rescue this time but given a good home. She settled in very fast, and likes to please. She came with training, so the basics were already known to her.

Last edited:

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

It looks like your using a military type vest arrangement with MOLLE attachment bags. I have the ICEFANG K-9 vest on my pup. It fits her pretty good, L size/44 lbs (Size-Medium would have been better for her). Her weight with another 8-10 pounds on her will be perfect (14 months now). Fit my former GSP (74 lbs), with the straps a little looser, fitting him well.

My question is, why choose the system you did, over a dedicated Dog pack system. How is it on staying balanced?, beyond weight distribution factors. Do you find the CHEST CROSS STRAP on your K-9 vest, works okay, or do you think the Icefang style "Y" chest strap would work better to keep the load comfortably balanced on your pups outings. So far with my past dog, and my new Girl, there has been no sign of chaffing or soreness associated with it.

It does not take long for them to eagerly look forward to outings when they think an adventure/road trip is in the works. A pack makes them think they have a job to do, and I have seen dogs very happy with a pack on.

View attachment 131129 This is the one I have, metal front buckle/ HD plastic girth buckle. At the time I ordered, the rear metal buckle version was not available, due to being sold out and/or on back-order. You can see the inner body panel side is cushioned and ventilated for comfort.

PS> I am really contemplating adding MOLLE bags to it, as well. Just had her CHIPPED (Home-Again), along with all her boosters and rabies. The Home-Again chip gets good reviews for not migrating under the skin like some alternative brands. Bought on Amazon $10.00, and our vet did it for free as he was administering her other shots.........SWEET :sunglasses: vs $80-100 straight up from some vets. Enrollment is $19.00 a year, but you can specify no annual, and do it yearly, to avoid continuous auto-pay. Your information will be kept and saved regardless of payment chosen. So once enrolled, your pet is in the database if ever lost.
View attachment 131146
This is ZARA (Belgian Melinois), not a rescue this time but given a good home. She settled in very fast, and likes to please. She came with training, so the basics were already known to her.
Desert Runner- You are correct, it s a military system on both my dogs and both do use Molle attachments. There were basically three reasons for going with this system.
1- Durability. These packs see frequent use, 2-4 times a week, so I wanted something that would hold up. In the past I had issues with conventional dog packs tearing after only 4-5 months of use. It doesnt help that my dogs are very rambunctious . Lol...
2-Carrying capacity. With these, the dogs are able to carry more load than a lot of the conventional packs. They sometimes carry some of my gear too. :-) And the Molle makes it more versatile.
3- Price. Total investment in each bag is $35 which is a lot less than most conventional packs. Mil surpluss bags were $5 each and main pack was $15.

The packs stay nice an stable unless there is an unusual weight distribution. I also steered away from the y strap due to concern about it rubbing in the leg pit area. I had this happen in the past. But I thnk it really boils down to the individual dogs body shape and the amount of hair in the leg pit area. Both my dogs have very short hair.

Last edited:

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Nice dogs, folks! I wouldn't want to go anywhere (and I don't, except work) without mine. She's the sweetest soul I've known.

C7FF67AD-0E1E-4498-83C4-347AAAC67393_1_201_a.jpeg

Her name is Roxie, she's an English Sheppherd and is friendly with everyone & nearly everything. She HATES coyotes.

(Rumbledog... be careful letting your dogs put fish in their mouths. Salmon carry disease that will kill a dog.)

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Had to put my little buddy Dexter (Chihuahua/Mini-Pin mix) down in August after a long illness, and then in December, my beloved German Shepherd Meeka (my profile pic) died unexpectedly in the middle of the night. I miss them both, but my wife and I couldn't live without a dog in our lives for long... On Monday, we picked up this guy:
Oso.jpg

He's a Berger Blanc Suisse/Belgian Groenendael Mix, which are 2 breeds I'd never heard of before Sunday... His name is Oso.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB