Overland GPS on a budget

• HTML tutorial

Harriss Vann

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm looking at a GPS system for an overland trip next summer. I've got around $200 to spend on this. Any of y'all have any suggestions? (I'll have the GAIA app but I need a GPS unit other than my phone.)

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I use gia on a tablet and have had great luck with it, just make sure it has offline GPS capability . I use to use a acer tablet I got free with a laptop but it finely died so now I use a iPad mini . no matter what you use have paper maps for a backup

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

This may seem stupid on my part but doesn't an iPad have a GPS in it?....I've never had a problem with HEMA not knowing where I am. Granted I've never been that far out of range, most of my travels are within the Ohio River Valley but I am planning on a big trip "out west" next summer. Will I need to buy some other sort of GPS to compensate if I'm not within cell range?

SoCalFJZ80

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Huntington Beach
Member #

But the iPad typically requires to have cell service. That’s my understanding. So syncing it to a Bluetooth GPS receiver makes it so you don’t need cell service for the device.

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Got it, so if I'm out of cell range then the GPS is not working...couldn't I just use my old Tom Tom to fill in the gaps when I have them? Or if I wanted to keep the iPad going I would need the GPS add on gadget?

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

The WiFi only iPads do not have GPS built in, but the WiFi+Cellular iPads do. The GPS receiver is part of the cellular chipset but you don’t need cell service (or even a service plan) for the GPS to function.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I was able to get a mobile ready iPad mini for $100 and probably $50-75 bucks in mounting and it is awesome!

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

My iPhone gps won’t work if I have no cell service unless I download the maps beforehand
GPS and mapping/direction software are two different things. GPS just gets your location and elevation based off of positioning satellites in orbit. It doesn't know anything about your surroundings. To make GPS useful, it needs to be paired with software (an app). Some software uses offline data to drive the maps/directions, some use your device's data plan to dynamically load and update the data as you go.

Syncing a GPS device to a tablet won't necessarily give you maps to make the signal useful. You need to get an app that either keeps the data local by default or allows you to download the data ahead of time (which requires you to know where you're headed). Personally I use Gaia, it has lots of map layer options and allows you to sync a decent amount of data for offline use.

Hope this is helpful.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I use Gaia on a 9.7" Samsung Tab s3 and works great. I have allot of offline maps downloaded to the storage so I don't need cell service to run them on. Get the paid version, it opens up a ton of features. Im just learning the software and already loving it.

Reactions: Overland Omnivore

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

I am a budget Outlander and try to keep the cost down. I have a netbook ares 8a, bought two with cracked screens for $40 and bought replacement screens on Ebay.With YouTube videos for reference I replaced them myself. They are not highly rated but it's what I got. which is a little slow. I want to purchase a bluetooth

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

I am a budget Outlander and try to keep the cost down. I have a netbook ares 8a, bought two with cracked screens for $40 and bought replacement screens on Ebay.With YouTube videos for reference I replaced them myself. They are not highly rated but it's what I got. which is a little slow. I want to purchase a bluetooth
...gps receiver. Anybody have experience with these and can recommend a particular unit that performs well but won't break the bank?

DslDad13

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Goodlettsville, TN, USA
Member #

GPS and mapping/direction software are two different things. GPS just gets your location and elevation based off of positioning satellites in orbit. It doesn't know anything about your surroundings. To make GPS useful, it needs to be paired with software (an app). Some software uses offline data to drive the maps/directions, some use your device's data plan to dynamically load and update the data as you go.

Syncing a GPS device to a tablet won't necessarily give you maps to make the signal useful. You need to get an app that either keeps the data local by default or allows you to download the data ahead of time (which requires you to know where you're headed). Personally I use Gaia, it has lots of map layer options and allows you to sync a decent amount of data for offline use.

Hope this is helpful.
Heck yeah that’s helpful....I’m always up for learning new things....

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

can't remember the brand on the mount but it holds a tablet with no wiggling, the suction cup is made of some super sticky material that will even hold onto a dash , had one just like it in my old grand Cherokee for over a year and it never came off even with tons of hard driving. Gaia is a great app , Really easy to build routes at home, the android version seems to have a few more options compared to the apple version but both track very well . 20180829_095045.jpg

20180829_094531.jpg

Overland Omnivore

Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

WOW! There are some really knowledge folks here...thanks for all the info...my iPad has a unlimited data plan that uses cell service...I'll try downloading a map before I head out of tower range...