Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

For home storage I use a commercial steel rack just for the camping gear boxes, bags, sleeping gear and soft goods stay in a house closet.
For the gear in the truck, it goes into a variety of boxes and bags. I mostly use the black boxes w/yellow tops, rubber made, action packers, and a few milk creates. I do use Seahorse, Pelican and SKB boxes for special gear. I dislike fitted boxes for the most part as they waste space. I take care of my gear so I don’t use a high end box for something that doesn’t need it.
My cook box’s are rubber made, a large one for 6 people, the small is a black with yellow top 2 people. All my dry food is in action packers to keep the small vermin at bay. Clothing tends to be in duffel bags or rubber made boxes or hung up. I agree that many things have a place that just fit.
I find the surplus stuff is heavy and clunky, the military never worried about space or weight, it’s nostalgic but not for me.

Reactions: Road

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Road I’m aware that the cans in the picture are all metal ones... and since I collect the metal fuel cans they are of more interest to me... but they do have the plastic cans as well... just not listed in that add... they spam CL daily and I have seen them in other adds.

Reactions: MMc and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road I’m aware that the cans in the picture are all metal ones... and since I collect the metal fuel cans they are of more interest to me... but they do have the plastic cans as well... just not listed in that add... they spam CL daily and I have seen them in other adds.
Cool, Mike. Wouldn't want other folks, though, to get one thing and think they're getting something else, based on that image. Be interesting to see how their price compares for military issue plastic Scepter/LCI style.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

@Jim SoG, @M Rose, if meaning the GI jerrys that are shown in this image at the surplus place, those are metal cans, and while still military issue, perhaps, are not the rugged plastic military issue from BuyLCI.com that @bgenlvtex has in his vehicle, or was talking about in this post.

Having used both over the years for fuel and water, I think most folks, for camping and adventure, will find the rugged plastic ones to be far more suitable as far as longevity, maintenance, and storage. The pour caps are much different on the metal GI cans. They have a seam running around the middle, which over time is likely to rust.

They metal cans will also be more prone to puncture and pinholes, and will not flex as much in heat, so possibly force water or fuel out. Easy to release the pressure in the plastic jerrys (advised if you keep them exposed on hot days), while trying to do so with the metal cans often gushes water or fuel out unless you're used to the process.

The metal GI cans need gaskets, as well (see sign at the top of the shelves), which eventually need replacing from dry rot or misuse. No gasket, more leakage. The plastic ones do not. In experimenting with the plastic LCI jugs I bought almost four years ago (about the same price then as now) I've found they do not need gaskets or o-rings on any of the three openings. There's an old thread here somewhere on just that.

View attachment 189172
I really prefer/like the metal jerry cans. I'm wanting to find one of the 'WINE' versions, but the cost for one can be rather high.

Attached is a photo of an acquaintance's Rover. No coincidence - it was in the planning.

20180922_235221.jpg

Reactions: bgenlvtex and Road

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

@Road - Was looking through some pics I saved dealing with vintage style expedition/safari gear and storage ideas. This is what I'm aiming for, especially for shows.

Have you checked out Melvill and Moon?

693fa29e231c2a5d5fd6df5c07df4ea7.jpg

20190505_223803.jpg

df025ec4ee379ed0499fd27bf821993c.jpg

e36213b2c74b3ea80a16c2b983c5e82a.jpg

12f6e4b976d09f4434de4aa63baac023.jpg

Reactions: El-Dracho and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road First off you are one organized dude, I love it!! I am looking to buy a house end of the year and I am copying your shelf in my garage, perfect!

I can not believe you get all that in that trailer, the pic makes that trailer look way to small for the gear laid out beside it...WOW

Great job

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Deceptive in this image, though the trailer bed is actually the size of a long bed on a pickup, though is rated to carry more, weight-wise. The roll-up top rolls further to the left, 'til it rests on top of the nose box.

xv2-gearlaidout_IMG_2223-warrows.jpeg

Didn't mean to imply the whole flat-lay came out of the trailer bed. The only items in the flat lay that did not come out of the bed itself are the storage bag (red arrow at right), which, when used, gets strapped to the tonneau cover with stratchits (pic below), and the 3 FRO Cub Packs in front of the bag, which go on end into the nose box, where they fit quit nicely (3rd pic). I also keep more in the nose box now than is shown in the flat lay.

There's a lot of space around and above the wheel wells, too, where a lot of the tent poles, shovel, light stands, etc gets packed and out of the way of the main cargo area.

A great deal of my gear packs flat and is of similar size, making packing much easier with less wasted space. The Wolf Packs and Cub Packs are great for that because they have straight walls of single thickness and stack really well, locking lid to bottom. Same with the Zarges cases; straight-sided and single thickness, though the most rugged gear I won. I chose the sizes I did because they have the same footprint, so stack well in van or trailer. One of the big reasons I got rid of my skottle is that it did not fit my packing scheme well at all in either vehicle.
xv2-allpackedup-IMG_2217.JPG
Just after packing it up with everything in the flat lay from 1st pic.

cubpacks-nosebox_6620-wmkd.jpeg
The nose box holds a ton of gear. To the left of this is the power center. The compartment on right, with the Cub Packs and soft-sided packs, is sized for an ARB 50.
This is one area of packing that has stayed pretty much the same for a couple years.

The way I pack changes all the time, depending on weather and environment and what I'm going to need first when stopping.

pins-canoeup-900.jpg
Gulf of Mexico pack.

I should do another flat-lay sometime to compare how it's evolved.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I really prefer/like the metal jerry cans. I'm wanting to find one of the 'WINE' versions, but the cost for one can be rather high.

Attached is a photo of an acquaintance's Rover. No coincidence - it was in the planning.

View attachment 189177
Oh, I shouldn't have dissed the metal jerry cans. I know some experienced folks really like them for one reason or another. A great deal of the users here though, most these days I dare say, are relatively new to 'overlanding' and many to camping in general. My meaning was that if folks thought the cans in the image are the same ones recommended by others as plastic military issue, they're not and will lead to disappointment for some.

Reactions: Correus

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road - Was looking through some pics I saved dealing with vintage style expedition/safari gear and storage ideas. This is what I'm aiming for, especially for shows.

Have you checked out Melvill and Moon?

View attachment 189180

View attachment 189181

View attachment 189182

View attachment 189183

View attachment 189184
No, Correus, but I appreciate the link! Cool safari style gear, and handsome.

I'm contemplating getting a cool old style, leather-capable cobbler's sewing machine to add to my cheap HD Singers for various storage and organizational projects.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

View attachment 189177

5L Jerry can , not marked "wine" but also does not include any sodomy in the price department $40 at Deutsche Optic.

They also have 10L and 20L for you steel jerry can lovers, as well as 4 packs shipped as cheap as you will find them anywhere. Polski built they are real deal NATO steel jerry cans.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Oh, I shouldn't have dissed the metal jerry cans. I know some experienced folks really like them for one reason or another. A great deal of the users here though, most these days I dare say, are relatively new to 'overlanding' and many to camping in general. My meaning was that if folks thought the cans in the image are the same ones recommended by others as plastic military issue, they're not and will lead to disappointment for some.
LOL

Dissed? Didn't notice any implication that way. I just wanted to share that pic and my preference. What you said does make sense.

I prefer the metal ones for the durability, but hate the extra weight. Yet the ease of puncturing or crushing a plastic one bothers me more. It doesn't happen often, but it does.

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

No, Correus, but I appreciate the link! Cool safari style gear, and handsome.

I'm contemplating getting a cool old style, leather-capable cobbler's sewing machine to add to my cheap HD Singers for various storage and organizational projects.
M&M are really expensive, but most are who specialize in 'classic' gear.

Do you know anyone who knows how to turn wood on a lathe? If so, I have an idea for you - PM me if you're interested.

Reactions: Road and M Rose

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

5L Jerry can , not marked "wine" but also does not include any sodomy in the price department $40 at Deutsche Optic.

They also have 10L and 20L for you steel jerry can lovers, as well as 4 packs shipped as cheap as you will find them anywhere. Polski built they are real deal NATO steel jerry cans.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

First two pics would be nice. Wanting to something similar to these for the hell of it (mainly shows). The smaller 5L ones I'd like to get in order to hold engine oil and gear oil.

sea8.jpg

16120033-600x600.jpg

G & T Jerry.jpg

DJ85S0RX0AACbTW.jpg

5fb23ed4dd32b7eba67d326dfd345ae6.jpg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

LOL

Dissed? Didn't notice any implication that way. I just wanted to share that pic and my preference. What you said does make sense.

I prefer the metal ones for the durability, but hate the extra weight. Yet the ease of puncturing or crushing a plastic one bothers me more. It doesn't happen often, but it does.
Ha, no, I didn't mean anyone in particular.

The military issue plastic from Scepter ad LCI are thick; much thicker than the Scepter fuel and water jugs available to the general public and marine folks. I have three of those too, the lighter-weight ones, for diesel and gas. I can stand on the thicks ones I bought from LCI when they're flat on their side without deforming them and bet I could drive my trailer over them as well.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

LOL

You won't have to worry about crushing or puncturing an LCI or Scepter MWC MFC.

In fact I can virtually guarantee that I can fatally wound a steel Jerry can with one stroke of a claw hammer. I would not say that of an MFC or MWC.

I understand that steel is your preference and keeping with the motif of a classic rig, but the MFC MWC is an evolutionary step forward from a steel Jerry can

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Ha, no, I didn't mean anyone in particular.

The military issue plastic from Scepter ad LCI are thick; much thicker than the Scepter fuel and water jugs available to the general public and marine folks. I have three of those too, the lighter-weight ones, for diesel and gas. I can stand on the thicks ones I bought from LCI when they're flat on their side without deforming them and bet I could drive my trailer over them as well.
I'll take a closer look.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
@Road I have always considered myself pretty great at packing, I am a runny nose schoolboy compared to your mastery brother....wow.

Did you buy or build the trailer, if built got a build link?

Hey all you Brit drivers here in Reno I just seen a "British 4x4" here had a cool picture on the wall of Churchill, his dog and his LR.......

jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
By the way that LCI company employs the blind, great price, great free delivery and helping those who might not get employed, I love it.