overland expo west 2020

• HTML tutorial

And On We Go

Rank III

Influencer II

Northeast Ohio
Member #

starting to plan my trip to overland expo west. Im in ohio, planing the week before to drive capital reef, grand staircase, hike in bryce and end up at grand canyon north rim before expo. The week after Im going to work my way through New Mexico to Carlsbad caverns. Looking for anyone who would like to join in for any part.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

FYI the North Rim of the GC doesn't reopen till May 15th, that is when Expo starts. Last year there was still a lot of snow there in May from what I recall. All depends on how good of snow fall we have this year. So far it's been good.

Might be worth a call to the park to make sure. 928-638-7875 The road closes just a mile or two past Jacob's Lake, it was closed early this year because of an early storm.

Todd

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
You could do the western end of the North rim, come in from Mesquite or St George and go down to Twin Point or something like that.
I love the North Rim camping

Reactions: And On We Go

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I plan on being at the Overland Expo although I don't think I'll have my Willys back together by then.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
We are looking at North Rim then Moab after EXPO West. Hoping to do White Rim Trail. Coming to EXPO from Washington.
That part of the North Rim might still have a bunch of snow...
If so on the way to Moab there are a ton of cool things to see in Utah....Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Moogy (sp?) Dugway, Bulter Wash, Bluff area and more....

Reactions: SNO-RNR and 64Trvlr

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Last year I was in Moab on May 5th and the areas near town (Kokopeli, Hurrah Pass, Gemini, Onion Creek, etc.) were clear of snow except the top of La Sa Pass.

Reactions: SNO-RNR

And On We Go

Rank III

Influencer II

Northeast Ohio
Member #

I believe I have changed my initial route. I am going to start at Carlsbad caverns and work my way up to the expo. after, try to hit the north rim, work my way through the grand staircase and end up at Canyon lands. I have 2 weeks to do this. I should be in New Mexico on Sunday the 10th. looking for some good high speed off road routes and wondering were everyone is staying at the expo.

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
Santa Wife (she's awesome) brought me Saturday tickets and an onsite parking pass. We'll leave the Victor Valley noonish Friday and head towards Williams up the I-40. Probably will camp at Kaibab Lake or Whitehorse just for convenience.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I'll be there. Not driving out but I am renting an "all terrain vehicle" from the airport. I guess that means Jeep Wrangler, but we'll see. We (my family) planned to do some off grid sight seeing while out there for the week.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

I believe I have changed my initial route. I am going to start at Carlsbad caverns and work my way up to the expo. after, try to hit the north rim, work my way through the grand staircase and end up at Canyon lands. I have 2 weeks to do this. I should be in New Mexico on Sunday the 10th. looking for some good high speed off road routes and wondering where everyone is staying at the expo.
We are going to North Rim after Expo. Planing 3 weeks around Utah afterwards. Doing some 4 wheel trails, hiking and rock climbing. If you have any good ideas let me know. I am hitting Moab so going to grab the 4x4 trail guide on amazon for that. Looking at White Rim Trail and some others. The White Rim needs camping to do it properly. They book up quick (4months in advance).

Reactions: bryanfolts

And On We Go

Rank III

Influencer II

Northeast Ohio
Member #

We are going to North Rim after Expo. Planing 3 weeks around Utah afterwards. Doing some 4 wheel trails, hiking and rock climbing. If you have any good ideas let me know. I am hitting Moab so going to grab the 4x4 trail guide on amazon for that. Looking at White Rim Trail and some others. The White Rim needs camping to do it properly. They book up quick (4months in advance).
I should be in Moab on the 21st. last June I tried to do The White Rim but it rained so bad we could only go maybe half and turned back. I would like to do it again if I have time , I need to start heading home on the 23rd. I am going to the North Rim when I leave the expo on Sunday

Westsroadshow

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

West, AZ, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
West
Member #

starting to plan my trip to overland expo west. Im in ohio, planing the week before to drive capital reef, grand staircase, hike in bryce and end up at grand canyon north rim before expo. The week after Im going to work my way through New Mexico to Carlsbad caverns. Looking for anyone who would like to join in for any part.
See you there!

Reactions: SNO-RNR

bryanfolts

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Remington, VA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Folts
Member #

Service Branch
USN Veteran
I'll be driving to the Expo West from Virginia in my 87 YJ, trailer in tow.
Stopping at Palo Duro Canyon TX then Sedona before the expo.

Hoping to find an off-road route from Sedona to Expo. Any tips? _____________________

Planning something Grand Canyon after, but no sure where yet. Any tips? ____________________

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Hoping to find an off-road route from Sedona to Expo. Any tips? _____________________

Planning something Grand Canyon after, but no sure where yet. Any tips? ____________________
There should be an OB camping area site. Try to stay there. When there you can meet with other people that are going to the grand canyon. Maybe me. I'm going to be in El Paso 4/12/19 and I am figuring out what to do until Expo and then after.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

I want to go to the Canyon Afterwards. We are planning on 1 night at Canyon maybe the Monday after expo. I hear you can stay at Expo Sunday night too. Then we are heading to MOAB on the Tuesday.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

Managed to secure the first night at White Rim got Airport Campsite. Going to try for the second night tonight. Man is that process stressful. Will be worth it though. I will relax once I know we have a second site secured. Would have been nice to have secured a site that we wanted but they go so quick it's just a case of grab what you can. I have looked at the map for North Rim. Seems to be a lot of NFS land around the north rim with dispersed camping. Does anyone know if you need a permit for dispered camping in NFS land near the RIM?

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
If all goes as planned, I am going take the van up the AZBDR, south to north, with a stop at EXPO to look for goodies for my new ZR2! Told myself last year I probably wouldn't go this year, but now I am needing skid plates, winch bumper, radios, etc, etc...

cookiedough

Rank V

Explorer I

Phx, AZ
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

That part of the North Rim might still have a bunch of snow...
If so on the way to Moab there are a ton of cool things to see in Utah....Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Moogy (sp?) Dugway, Bulter Wash, Bluff area and more....
Moki Dugway - that is a super cool drive! All those areas you mention are worthy of a trip. Waterpocket Fold, Comb Ridge, San Rafael Swell, there is all kinds of magic out there.

Reactions: Munga Brown