Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

Is anyone doing the Overland Experience package? I was considering it but the pricing is way more than weekend camping. We did NW Overland Rally and Bc Overland Rally last year. The training was included with weekend camping tickets. Both events were much cheaper. I know they're smaller events but if you don't do training you are really just paying to go to a large outdoor mall with camping. I suppose it frees up a few hundred dollars to spend on overlanding gear and vehicle parts haha.

Reactions: Wilson123

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

We are off to MOAB after EXPO. Going to stay at EXPO on Sunday 17th then 1 night on North RIm 18th then drive to MOAB via Valley of Gods on 19th. We have White Rim booked 20th and 21st. So will be free to ride trails from the 22nd in MOAB. Not sure how long we will stay. We have 2 weeks but want to see other parks/areas too.
That was my plan as well. I need to be in Idaho June 6 or 7.

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Is anyone doing the Overland Experience package? I was considering it but the pricing is way more than weekend camping. We did NW Overland Rally and Bc Overland Rally last year. The training was included with weekend camping tickets. Both events were much cheaper. I know they're smaller events but if you don't do training you are really just paying to go to a large outdoor mall with camping. I suppose it frees up a few hundred dollars to spend on overlanding gear and vehicle parts haha.
We are and camping there on campgrounds. Not sure of all classes taking yet though.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I did the overland experience at Expo East. It was excellent and I would do them again. The driving classes were indispensable to real life driving. Navigation classes exposed me to enough new information I now use what I learned to create tracks, follow tracks and change things as I go. I met authors and youtubers I follow to learn more. I'm hoping for medical classes, Recovery classes, and others. It's worth every penny unless you really are experienced.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

I did the overland experience at Expo East. It was excellent and I would do them again. The driving classes were indispensable to real life driving. Navigation classes exposed me to enough new information I now use what I learned to create tracks, follow tracks and change things as I go. I met authors and youtubers I follow to learn more. I'm hoping for medical classes, Recovery classes, and others. It's worth every penny unless you really are experienced.
Yes, the main ones for me are driving and guiding classes. I want to get the Mrs up to scratch. I am well trained in navigation and medical, former military. Recovery is always good too. I did an awesome class on tire repair with Bob Wohlers at BCOR. Covered repairs to tread and sidewalls using plugs and patches for advanced repairs. Also, covered reseating a bead and changing a valve core without removing the tire. I would love to do some winching classes , we don't have a wish yet but should be getting a bumper/winch fitted in late summer/fall.

sea_ledford

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

This will be my wife and my first expo, looking forward to it! We did sign up for the Overland Experience package for the training.

Still trying to figure out if we are going to go early and take a few days getting there from Texas, or just boogie on the highway out and take time on the way back to take advantage of all of our new found knowledge. Initial thought is Gilla NF either direction, but haven't really researched it yet.

We'll have to keep an eye out for the OB camping section. Will someone post coordinates or just wander around until we see the flags? I have no idea how big the camping area is, but I'm imagining a slightly organized mass chaos situation ;)

-Chris

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I am looking for booth helpers for Overland Expo West in Flagstaff AZ. I can offer a pass to the show with camping in exchange for members working our booth for the three days of the show four hours per day. The four hours can be broken into two two hour shifts.

If your interested in helping out we please message me here on the forum @Kent R or email me at Kent@overlandbound.com

Last edited:

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

This will be my wife and my first expo, looking forward to it! We did sign up for the Overland Experience package for the training.

Still trying to figure out if we are going to go early and take a few days getting there from Texas, or just boogie on the highway out and take time on the way back to take advantage of all of our new found knowledge. Initial thought is Gilla NF either direction, but haven't really researched it yet.

We'll have to keep an eye out for the OB camping section. Will someone post coordinates or just wander around until we see the flags? I have no idea how big the camping area is, but I'm imagining a slightly organized mass chaos situation ;)

-Chris
At the last show they knew at check in. I don't know yet. Whoever set's it up can post a map. I applied to volunteer. If they choose me hopefully I can.

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

-Chris
I imagine the OB base camp flag will be there for everyone to see. Plus a lot of the vehicles will have stickers for OB probably

JPaul

Rank V

Pioneer I

Mendon, UT, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1JPA
I'm going and picked up the experience package. Went last year and really enjoyed it but wished I had gotten the experience package. The free classes were great, but I can really use some more formal training. I also picked up a reserved spot. I had fun last time with the neighbors I had, but wanted to try a little bit bigger space this time. Also hoping the samosa place will be there again, those things were delicious!

I'm not sure which route I am going to take this year. I can either go through Kanab and have the drive be about 9.5 hours, or go through Moab and have it be about 10.5 hours. Either way, I'll probably leave Wednesday after work and stop over for the night. Possibly do the same coming back, then I can maybe hit some trails along the way.

I'll be in Moab the week after Jeep Easter Safari with the Hummer group I go with. Hopefully this time I won't break anything.

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
A little over 9 weeks and were there.
Just a question for those who have been to Moab wheeling.
Where do you stay when wheeling in Moab. Do you return to a campground each day?
do you primitive camp somewhere? Never been there so just curious.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

A little over 9 weeks and were there.
Just a question for those who have been to Moab wheeling.
Where do you stay when wheeling in Moab. Do you return to a campground each day?
do you primitive camp somewhere? Never been there so just curious.
We stayed at campground returning in the evening, we did the campground that you pass going to hurrah pass / chicken corner and another night we did another campsite opposite side near the river

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
Thank you for the replies.
I want to attend, I'm afraid the government will say no travelling but more importantly I'm afraid of border closings g so I'll be away longer than I want to from home. Toronto.

Ahhh. Whatever. This whole thing rally sucks.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Thank you for the replies.
I want to attend, I'm afraid the government will say no travelling but more importantly I'm afraid of border closings g so I'll be away longer than I want to from home. Toronto.

Ahhh. Whatever. This whole thing rally sucks.
My wife and I were just discussing this. We're not cancelling yet, but neither of us are interested in flying out from NJ right now. We have a great trip planned. I'm going to play it by ear and wait until the last minute.