Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

So I bagged the second night at the White Rim Trail, thats 2 nights camping. Just have to hope for decent conditions on the trail now.

Reactions: bryanfolts

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

We are driving from Texas to Expo West. Where is the best place to camp where we don't have to worry about leaving our stuff and can have our portable fire pit?

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
I'm in the same boat as Wilson123 but making the drive from Toronto
First Expo and wondering where is the best place to camp.
I know I can camp at the expo but I'm thinking I'll be "locked in" if I wanted to go somewhere for 1/2 a day or just need to leave
for whatever reason.
is there a good campground near by??

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
I'm in the same boat as Wilson123 but making the drive from Toronto
First Expo and wondering where is the best place to camp.
I know I can camp at the expo but I'm thinking I'll be "locked in" if I wanted to go somewhere for 1/2 a day or just need to leave
for whatever reason.
is there a good campground near by??
There are numerous developed campgrounds along with abundant primitive campsites in the surrounding forests. We've stayed at Whitehorse campground to do Expo as well as Kaibab Lake. Remote sites are everywhere and first come first served.

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

There are numerous developed campgrounds along with abundant primitive campsites in the surrounding forests. We've stayed at Whitehorse campground to do Expo as well as Kaibab Lake. Remote sites are everywhere and first come first served.
And is it ok to leave tents and things put up while at expo or would have to put up camp each day?

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

This will be our first trip to Expo so any help appreciated.
All I can offer you is this. If it starts at 8 or 9 don't show up at 8 or 9. The vendors were asleep and not active until like an hour after opening. I almost made the mistake of leaving early because I was annoyed. Then I hang out and had the time of my life once everyone was awake.

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
Thank you for the advice fellow overlanders . So if I am understanding this right I can show up pay at the gate for my entrance and there are lots of places to camp near the event. Campgrounds and motels too.

If I am misinformed please correct me, If not I hope to see of your guys there.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

This will be our first trip to Expo so any help appreciated.
Overland Bound will have our own dedicated camping area on site. Please join us there. We had about 20 rigs at expo east and it was a party every night. We had multiple gas fire pits, group meals and great information sharing, rig walk-arounds and more. We all made friends and had a great time. Don't miss it to save a few bucks.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Thank you for the advice fellow overlanders . So if I am understanding this right I can show up pay at the gate for my entrance and there are lots of places to camp near the event. Campgrounds and motels too.

If I am misinformed please correct me, If not I hope to see of your guys there.
Please camp on site and join us in the OB camping area.

Reactions: Wilson123

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

You won't be locked in and can come and go as you please. Leave your canopy, tent whatever and come back later. Many people leave to get supplies or take driving classes in their rigs. The onsite camping is an experience in itself. Don't miss it.

Farook Ismail

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Toronto Ontario Canada
First Name
Farook
Last Name
Ismail
[QUOTEDon't miss it to save a few bucks. ][/QUOTE]

Thank you for the advice. I'll be spending well over 2k for this trip in fuel and the trip itself. I'm there for 2 weeks so its not the money.
I will try. Thing is once I'm there I doubt if anyone will know who I am and I wouldn't know who you all are.. there should be some post with our pictures so we can recognize each other.

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

You won't be locked in and can come and go as you please. Leave your canopy, tent whatever and come back later. Many people leave to get supplies or take driving classes in their rigs. The onsite camping is an experience in itself. Don't miss it.
Sounds great! We are looking forward to it!

Reactions: Sean's #1 Pop

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

As of now its Flagstaff KOA.
But at the expo during the day.
Moab after expo if anyone is interested..
We are off to MOAB after EXPO. Going to stay at EXPO on Sunday 17th then 1 night on North RIm 18th then drive to MOAB via Valley of Gods on 19th. We have White Rim booked 20th and 21st. So will be free to ride trails from the 22nd in MOAB. Not sure how long we will stay. We have 2 weeks but want to see other parks/areas too.

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Hopefully this can be the official thread for Expo West 2020.
I posted a question in the trip planning forum about Expo East. How can we get a mod to create an Expo West and and Expo East sticky? Seems like we will start seeing a lot of questions and conversations as this gets closer. A buddy and I are going to East and would love to have a place to ask questions/read info.