Overland Expo West 2019 - Who is going and where are you coming from?

• HTML tutorial

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Appreciate the offer. A lot will depend on timing though. My wife has to work the 13th and 14th which necessitates us leaving on the 15th and driving straight through in order to be in Flagstaff mid to late morning on the 16th. The plan right now is to be out there when they open the campground, wait in line for as short a time as possible, grab a spot, get set up and start to recover. After 21 hours of straight driving, I’ll be lucky to remember my name, lol.

If y’all are doing a straight through drive as well, we can try to meet up at the Texas Welcome Center on I-20 around 1300-1400 ish on the 15th. It’s about 4 1/2 hours from home depending on how long it takes me to get out of Baton Rouge at the tail end of rush hour. The route then is 20 to US 287 up to I-40 and over to Flagstaff. Part of that for the shortest way through Dallas/Ft. Worth is toll road, so it will also depend on your feelings about getting a bill in the mail from them a couple of weeks later after they snap a pic of your tag. The longer free route across the south side adds about an hour to an hour and a half depending on the traffic.

If that will work, then we can meet up and head up. Not sure if you’re a ham radio operator, but if so then I’ll start calling on 146.52 when I hit 20 off of 49. I’ve also got a GMRS radio if you’ll be carrying an FRS/GMRS radio. If neither of those, I guess we can just look for each other at the rest area, lol. [emoji102]

Rubi_Expedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Saber
Member #

Coming from Arizona with the Heard of Turtles (Turtleback trailers), not sure how many but probably around 25-30. You guys are living the amazing life and teaching the young one some amazing lessons I'm sure! This will be my first event, even though it's in my backyard. Safe travels and maybe I'll run in to you guys up there! This is my rig in case you see it! View attachment _DSC2926.jpg

Reactions: Nickzero

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We’ll leave our home in Laguna Beach, California early Thursday morning. Would love to connect with our OB Community there. This is our second time going and I am looking forward to learning more about this crazy life passion that keeps happily draining my wallet!
Haha I feel your wallet's pain. But it is oh so worth it right? YOLO and Passion are dangerous but fulfilling words. Hope we can connect!

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

How many Expo Wests have you been to? This will be our first. Any tips for newbies to West?
This will be our third- The amount of people seems to at least double every year. Last year, the dispersed camping area was the biggest I have ever seen, both from our attendance and from pics of previous years. I suggest camping there, as it really is where the magic happens after the show each night and morning. So many people to talk to, rigs to see, and information to obtain from real live testing of products you want to use. Plus you meet awesome youtube celebrities. Expect warm days, maybe wind, but amazing people and a huge crowd. The parking area is a car show in itself. Food is fantastic, but loooonnngggg lines. get it early, especially the woodfire pizza... Really it is crowded, so do not expect any privacy, although everyone is pretty courteous. It really is an amazing, fun, and informative event. The vendor area is amazing, and you will see everyone out of the woodworks capitalizing on the overland name. Vendors that were once jeep only, or had almost nothing to do with camping, or overland, now have products or their hand in it. It is amazing to see the ideas, product development, and emphasis on vehicle supported travels. Speak to everyone, say hello, ask questions and listen to the presenters. It is a ton of info, and an experience you will want to keep coming back to, guaranteed!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Coming from Arizona with the Heard of Turtles (Turtleback trailers), not sure how many but probably around 25-30. You guys are living the amazing life and teaching the young one some amazing lessons I'm sure! This will be my first event, even though it's in my backyard. Safe travels and maybe I'll run in to you guys up there! This is my rig in case you see it! View attachment 92773
We'll be attending again as well. We've been to expo a few times in the past, but this will be our first time with the Herd of Turtles. Is there a convoy for that? I RSVPed for the herd on the turtleback website but haven't seen any sort of details about it. Here's us:
20190406_101841.jpg

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We'll be attending again as well. We've been to expo a few times in the past, but this will be our first time with the Herd of Turtles. Is there a convoy for that? I RSVPed for the herd on the turtleback website but haven't seen any sort of details about it. Here's us:
View attachment 93108
Nice rig brother! Can't wait to see you at Expo

Reactions: brien

Jeepinit

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

Looks like you folks are having a great time. A group of us called "Convoy 40" will be leaving California on Thursday morning of the week of Overland Expo West. This is our third year making the run and we are up to 16 rigs. We try to camp all in the same area once we get there. I will be sure to look out for you guys. Be safe in your travels.

Dominic - OB #0158
Where are you leaving from in California?