Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
My wife and I are also headed up Thursday morning the 7th from just North of Asheville (Big Ivy Area off 197) It looks like a 4-5 hour drive on the highways or 6-7 hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway most of the way. Not sure it would be worth it for the extra 2 hours, but what a difference in scenery.

We have done expo 2 times. Overland Expo at the Biltmore in 2015 was a really nice location. Reeb Ranch in 2018 started out great but quickly descended into a complete mudfest with all the rain. The driving challenges were indeed very challenging with all the slick red clay. Just navigating in and around the camping area was challenging for most of the rigs. We have always done the overland experience package and you will get to camp in a separate area from the weekend pass holders. At the Biltmore it was better to have camped with the overland experience area because you were much much closer to the daily activities and it was set up next to all the show-and-tell rigs. It was easy to slide by your camp in between classes to grab food drinks etc. Where as the weekend campers had a pretty long walk from their camps to get to anything. At the Reeb Ranch location the overland experience campers were much further away than the weekend campers were from all the vendors and driving activities. *I would say the weekend camping pass at both locations seemed like a little bit more of the younger party crowd and the overland experience campers were a little older and more quiet but still a friendly bunch. There are probably 3-4 times as many people in the weekend camping pass area as opposed to the overland experience section.

If anyone else coming from the 828 wants to caravan we are in!
I'll be leaving the Mount Mitchell campground early Thursday morning and hopefully meeting up with @Wellspring, we can probably all head up together. I'll be looking to camp in the Overland Bound area that @Ohio Valley Overland is working to setup for us.

Here is what Ohio Overland said in response to a PM I sent him: "I will be getting there on Wednesday to get our spot…I’m not sure where that will be but Zach at OE has confirmed we will be able to camp as a group…I will post the exact location once I get set up…look for the OB banners and I will leave instructions with the volunteers at the gate where we will be setting up… "

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you I've met here, hopefully the weather will be nice and we can all have a good time!

Reactions: Wellspring

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I'll be leaving the Mount Mitchell campground early Thursday morning and hopefully meeting up with @Wellspring, we can probably all head up together. I'll be looking to camp in the Overland Bound area that @Ohio Valley Overland is working to setup for us.

Here is what Ohio Overland said in response to a PM I sent him: "I will be getting there on Wednesday to get our spot…I’m not sure where that will be but Zach at OE has confirmed we will be able to camp as a group…I will post the exact location once I get set up…look for the OB banners and I will leave instructions with the volunteers at the gate where we will be setting up… "

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you I've met here, hopefully the weather will be nice and we can all have a good time!
Is there anything required to tell the people directing traffic so they let you get to wherever the OB campsite will be? We’ll be getting there sometime on Thursday, but this is my first, so have no idea how it works.

Reactions: Old Tanker

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
Is there anything required to tell the people directing traffic so they let you get to wherever the OB campsite will be? We’ll be getting there sometime on Thursday, but this is my first, so have no idea how it works.
This will be my first trip to this Overland Expo as well as a paid customer (I worked the other shows as paid staff when they had been held in Asheville), and from what I have been informed, if you want to camp as a group, you need to all arrive at the same time. Now, having said that, maybe this new management of Overland have made special plans for and with the OB group to be treated differently, but I can't say for sure: That is something to ask management. I do know for a fact that those who have purchased the Overland Experience tickets will be given a camping spot closer to the training sessions and vendors for easy access to and from, again, I would think that you would have to arrive with group to be placed together even for that. Other than that, I too will driving up on Thursday AM, and definitely want to hook up with any and all traveling on through to Arrington as a group. Let's all stay in touch via this site.

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

We originally purchased the forest camping but got an email it was move from the original planned location. Now thinking about refunding it and crashing the OB group site. Any info on the forest camping change?

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
None that I have heard, but then again, this will be my first Overland Expo East I will be attending now that is it is in VA. If you have the Overland Expo Experience package, I do know that there will be a separate campsite just for them to easily access the training sessions and such.

Halfbreed_Ovrlandr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evans, GA
Member #

We originally purchased the forest camping but got an email it was move from the original planned location. Now thinking about refunding it and crashing the OB group site. Any info on the forest camping change?
I was wondering the same thing. I'm planning to still keep it until I find out more info. Seems like a longer walk to everything but at the same time I don't mind the exercise...

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I'm all about an expo to see different items and such but I'm not paying 190.00 for me and 145 for my wife to camp in a field and have to wear a mask outdoors There is no reason to charge that much except greed. You guys have fun I will be in the mountains and exploring maskless for free.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I'm all about an expo to see different items and such but I'm not paying 190.00 for me and 145 for my wife to camp in a field and have to wear a mask outdoors There is no reason to charge that much except greed. You guys have fun I will be in the mountains and exploring maskless for free.
In full disclosure, I do not work for this marketing company that presents and conducts the Overland Expo shows around the country.

However..... In all honesty, I have never seen what a budget is for a show of this magnitude, however having worked as paid staff at all of the previous Overland Expo East shows that were held in Asheville NC under a different management and ownership (this show is run by a different group entirely), I can safely say that it requires a lot of deep pocket capital to pull one of these expos off. From paid staff, to venue ground rentals, buildings, housing for staffing and presenters, salaries for the presenters and instructors, etc., etc., etc,: I am sure you get the idea that costs are pretty high for a 4 day event, as the setting up of such a show starts days before, and that costs monies for work help and heavy equipment usage for the courses and camping areas along with parking areas as well. I am also sure you have also attended a music concert that has lasted only a few hours, and have paid a serious cost for tickets to one of those as well, but the ratio of time you will attend an event like an Expo ( and for what you receive in return for your money outlay) as compared to a musical event is proportionately rather steep per hour, and far more expensive to attend a concert or your choice. I do both, and realize the cost benefits and downsides of each, but I too understand the benefits of both as they apply in my lifestyle.

Everybody is entitle to a profit when it comes to business, and everyone has the right not to attend if they feel the price is to steep.

Two Questions:

1) What do you think a fair price would be to attend such an event of that size over a four day period, or even a weekend?

2) Are you upset over the costs of such a large venue, or possibly having to wear a mask to attend the outside and indoor presentations?

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I'll be driving down from Cape Cod Massachusetts area on Thursday night with my grandson. Will arrive Friday morning. General camping area with a RTT on my pickup. Looking forward to it!

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
In full disclosure, I do not work for this marketing company that presents and conducts the Overland Expo shows around the country.

However..... In all honesty, I have never seen what a budget is for a show of this magnitude, however having worked as paid staff at all of the previous Overland Expo East shows that were held in Asheville NC under a different management and ownership (this show is run by a different group entirely), I can safely say that it requires a lot of deep pocket capital to pull one of these expos off. From paid staff, to venue ground rentals, buildings, housing for staffing and presenters, salaries for the presenters and instructors, etc., etc., etc,: I am sure you get the idea that costs are pretty high for a 4 day event, as the setting up of such a show starts days before, and that costs monies for work help and heavy equipment usage for the courses and camping areas along with parking areas as well. I am also sure you have also attended a music concert that has lasted only a few hours, and have paid a serious cost for tickets to one of those as well, but the ratio of time you will attend an event like an Expo ( and for what you receive in return for your money outlay) as compared to a musical event is proportionately rather steep per hour, and far more expensive to attend a concert or your choice. I do both, and realize the cost benefits and downsides of each, but I too understand the benefits of both as they apply in my lifestyle.

Everybody is entitle to a profit when it comes to business, and everyone has the right not to attend if they feel the price is to steep.

Two Questions:

1) What do you think a fair price would be to attend such an event of that size over a four day period, or even a weekend?

2) Are you upset over the costs of such a large venue, or possibly having to wear a mask to attend the outside and indoor presentations?
So I attended the 2019 expo and volunteered, my issue is more the charging of a passenger 140.00 to be pushed into the same cramped camping spot, the amenities at the camping area were basically a porta-potty so I don't know how much they are dishing out to camp in a field. The price of 65.00 dollars for the three-day pass is reasonable. As for the mask item... you will be outside so enjoy the fresh air, I live about 35 miles from the event and there is no outside mask mandate.

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
I don't know the operational costs of the venue in Arrington, but I plan on attending every instructor led activity I can get to while there, as my wife for my B-Day bought the Overland Expo Experience for me seeing as I worked all those years, got to meet and share a few beers with all of the instructors, and presenters for those years, and never really did get to take in the coursework of seminars I wanted to do seeing as I was busy working for the entire week it was scheduled (yes, even in the legendary downpour "mudfests" that occurred a few times the shows were held in Asheville).

Will I pay or volunteer to attend it again? My wife and I might drive out west if I have the inclination and motivation and see what that one is all about as I do have a friend in Phoenix AZ that might want to see it, but that's not written in stone as that trip out west has another itinerary for our cross country road trip. But..... First, back again to travel around Iceland's Highlands mountains "F" roads with a 4wd van rental, and also back to India to drive in the northern Indian Himalayas on a different mountain route this time... :mask:

Reactions: Viking1204

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
I don't know the operational costs of the venue in Arrington, but I plan on attending every instructor led activity I can get to while there, as my wife for my B-Day bought the Overland Expo Experience for me seeing as I worked all those years, got to meet and share a few beers with all of the instructors, and presenters for those years, and never really did get to take in the coursework of seminars I wanted to do seeing as I was busy working for the entire week it was scheduled (yes, even in the legendary downpour "mudfests" that occurred a few times the shows were held in Asheville).

Will I pay or volunteer to attend it again? My wife and I might drive out west if I have the inclination and motivation and see what that one is all about as I do have a friend in Phoenix AZ that might want to see it, but that's not written in stone as that trip out west has another itinerary for our cross country road trip. But..... First, back again to travel around Iceland's Highlands mountains "F" roads with a 4wd van rental, and also back to India to drive in the northern Indian Himalayas on a different mountain route this time... :mask:
I lived in Iceland for many years explored a lot in my old 74 ford bronco

Wellspring

Rank II

Enthusiast III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Ted
Last Name
Spirakis
That's so cool! My wife and I have traveled there quite a few times, and love the country, and the people! What a great place to explore.

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

OK here is the latest news for camping at OEE2021...there is none...I have filled out the forms and sent emails trying to get us set up....when I got our camp site at OEE2019 I had boots on the ground before I could get us a spot and I think this may be the case again this year...I will continuing to try and get through to them and see what I can do....I will be arriving Wednesday night and will try to establish a HQ for us....as soon as I get more details I'll let ya'll know

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Thanks to a commitment Wednesday night, we're going to be leaving crack of dawn on Thursday, and stuck with an ~11 hour drive (plus time zone). If things go well, we'll probably roll in between 6 and 7 Thursday night.

Reactions: Overland Omnivore

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
16 days until the Expo opens up, 12 days until I start my road trip there to arrive on Thursday! This will be my first Expo, definitely looking forward to it!

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I do wish they'd get the education schedules and registration stuff going. Originally the thing said about a month before, then they changed to two weeks.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

I'm OK with the pricing. Low pricing, would mean the event would be flooded by pikey's (again).

The mask bit is a deal breaker for me. Sorry guys, I'm not masking up outdoors. I'm going to sit this one out, I'll go free camping instead this year.