Overland Expo East 2017

• HTML tutorial

grumpy

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Miami
Member #

To anyone who's gone before, how tight are the campsites? Do I need an RTT or is there room enough to set up a ground tent?
If you've been to the one in Flagstaff, the camp site on the east coast is tighter (it's an open field, no trees). Last year, they had lines and the parking attendant told you where to park. You don't choose your spot. Everyone is pretty much lined up next to each other. They had a specific area for the bikers and the ground tent, but most of us who had car or campers were next to each other. The space around your car is not big, just ok. They had 2 different sites on each side of the vendors section, very short walk.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
I went last year and pulled my expo trailer with a RTT. As Grumpy said, the guys/gals directing parking would ask everyone which side did we need to open up to. Mine went to the back so they put us in pretty tight to the next guy. That being said, a ground tent is doable but they are gonna pack you in as tight as possible so that they have room.

If you are in a ground tent, be advised, this is a row crop field, as result it is not smooth by any means. For those not familiar, think ruffles potato chips. Also, it is harvested prior to EXPO so there are plant stalks sticking up. Ground tents need a thick ground tarp underneath.

I'm glad I went but, If I do it again, I'll camp off-site and visit the vendor way. As an FYI, even though the weather was cool and damp, no wood fires were allowed. We picked up a propane fire pit before we set out for Asheville. I figured if you could fire up a propane grill, why not a fire pit. Nothing was said. Your mileage may now though.

Obligatory pick from 2016OverlandExpoEast2016.jpg

Last edited:

TheOverlandingGoat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greensboro, NC
Member #

I'm planning on going as well. Not sure about staying in such close quarters, the wife will not enjoy that at all. I may need to find a hotel room. May just drive in for the day and then head home. Not sure yet.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

We are going at least for one day (Saturday) ourselves but if work "works" out, we might make Friday too. A 3 plus hour drive so not bad. At least at the moment this is the plan. I've got a 6 week old 2017 Tundra so we'll be at the Expo looking, taking tons of notes and scheming a Tundra build.

That would be the good kind of scheming! :smiley:

Wife wants a Grand Canyon trip so Expo West might be on next year's menu.

Keith #5288

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
It's about 20 hours for me ... And I'm not much into close camping (and my wife certainly isn't) ... I may just head off in another direction and explore somewhere else on my own. I would love be to make it to one of the expos (east or west), maybe Expo west next year, its about five hours closer.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I will probably attend, but will need to fly in and out. Can anyone recommend a good hotel?

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Ok, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on these tickets but the camping situation has me stalling.

It seems like it's very tight, anyone have experience from last year??

Sent from my SM-G900V using OB Talk mobile app
I went last year. Camping is pretty tight but the grounds are flat and we'll kept. Honestly though, a hurricane passed thru each of the last two years so I don't know what dry Expo East looks like. Thst said, there are a ton of things to keep you busy there so you may not spend a lot of time around your rig, between the OXE events itself and the Biltmore attractions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I will probably attend, but will need to fly in and out. Can anyone recommend a good hotel?
We have stayed here a few times. About a block away from the Biltmore entrance. You will need a rental caar or another way of getting around though. Good basic hotel. Has a TGI Fridays on site which makes things easy.
http://www.doubletreeasheville.com/#gref

BillZ260

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

8711 S. College Pl, Tulsa, OK
Member #

I'm in! Coming from Tulsa, would love to caravan in part of the way there or back home. Right now I'm looking at going north a bit and hit some of the parks in Missouri, camp somewhere maybe 2 nights heading in, but I'm open if anyone wants to meet up. Maybe dip south some through the Nantahala National Forest and whatever else I have time for. This is all pretty new to me, pretty pumped.

Reactions: SwampcatJeep

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
I went last year and pulled my expo trailer with a RTT. As Grumpy said, the guys/gals directing parking would ask everyone which side did we need to open up to. Mine went to the back so they put us in pretty tight to the next guy. That being said, a ground tent is doable but they are gonna pack you in as tight as possible so that they have room.

If you are in a ground tent, be advised, this is a row crop field, as result it is not smooth by any means. For those not familiar, think ruffles potato chips. Also, it is harvested prior to EXPO so there are plant stalks sticking up. Ground tents need a thick ground tarp underneath.

I'm glad I went but, If I do it again, I'll camp off-site and visit the vendor way. As an FYI, even though the weather was cool and damp, no wood fires were allowed. We picked up a propane fire pit before we set out for Asheville. I figured if you could fire up a propane grill, why not a fire pit. Nothing was said. Your mileage may now though.

Obligatory pick from 2016View attachment 25893

I paid for the camping and everything, but this is why I'm also booking off site. If I pull up on that Friday and there's this sea of vehicles like this there's no way I'll be staying there. especially if folks are bringing kids and pets as I would expect them to. I think it would be pretty difficult to relax and enjoy the outdoors with your neighbor 5 feet off your bumper.

OldH1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint Simons Island GA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Mohr
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
Ok, so I'm ready to pull the trigger on these tickets but the camping situation has me stalling.

It seems like it's very tight, anyone have experience from last year??

Sent from my SM-G900V using OB Talk mobile app
I was there last year (my first time) Camping was extremely tight, if you caravan in with a group then I believe you get a better camping experience otherwise you could end up with people sitting right on top of you that have different camping manners.

SwampcatJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Midlothian, TX, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Garrett
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
I've got my tickets for the full experience! The wife and I had planned on camping there but all this close quarters talk has me second thinking that plan, especially since we were going to ground camp.

I'm in! Coming from Tulsa, would love to caravan in part of the way there or back home. Right now I'm looking at going north a bit and hit some of the parks in Missouri, camp somewhere maybe 2 nights heading in, but I'm open if anyone wants to meet up. Maybe dip south some through the Nantahala National Forest and whatever else I have time for. This is all pretty new to me, pretty pumped.
I'm coming in from Tulsa as well. Owasso specifically. My wife and I are traveling with the kids to South Carolina to drop them off at her folks house on the way in, and then back to pick them up on the way out. Dunno if we'll be able to caravan necessarily, but it's nice to know there's going to be a fellow Tulsan there!

OldH1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint Simons Island GA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Mohr
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
Anyone camp near the Biltmore but not ON the Biltmore property...if so, any recommendations are appreciated.

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/north-mills-river/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70774

This is our favorite CG in the area. About a 20-30 minute drive into the Biltmore entrance. This is a smaller FS campground, with access to dirt roads, trails, etc. Some extreme Pisgah style MTB trails right from the campground. And the N. Mills river ihas some spots for tubing and wading if it is warm enough.

You could also consider

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/lake-powhatan/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70206

A much bigger campground again with trails, both hiking and MTB. The MTB trails here (bent creek) are a more civilized. Probably a little closer to Biltmore.

Book reservations early.

Reactions: Barton Fink

OldH1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Saint Simons Island GA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Mohr
Member #

Service Branch
Former LEO
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/north-mills-river/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70774

This is our favorite CG in the area. About a 20-30 minute drive into the Biltmore entrance. This is a smaller FS campground, with access to dirt roads, trails, etc. Some extreme Pisgah style MTB trails right from the campground. And the N. Mills river ihas some spots for tubing and wading if it is warm enough.

You could also consider

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/lake-powhatan/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70206

A much bigger campground again with trails, both hiking and MTB. The MTB trails here (bent creek) are a more civilized. Probably a little closer to Biltmore.

Book reservations early.
Many thanks, checking them out now!