Overland Expo East 2017

• HTML tutorial

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

I've been kicking around the idea of going this year. So, from those who have been there...worth a 10 hour drive?

Sent from my SM-G928V using OB Talk mobile app

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

North Carolina is a bit far for me. I'm in sw NY...Being new to this, I'd love to go. But afraid to say I'll pass.

jscusmcvet

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Caliri
Member #

Service Branch
USMC Veteran
We went last year and my wife taught several classes. We are likely to attend again. Here is some info that I think may help you decide to attend or not.
- There is an included fee for each person in your party to access the Biltmore grounds. If you have never toured the house, it is worth it. The organizers have to charge this, there is no option and no getting around it.
- The full experience has a ton of classes and experiential learning opportunities. Well worth it if you will actually sign up and take the courses.
-The camping is in a big field. It is crowded. It can get noisy. If you are going with some buddies this is a great chance to hang out. If you are going for "peace and quiet", camp elsewhere and drive in each day.
-The "Overland Shopping Mall". It can be a little overwhelming. Was for me and I was not sure I would want to go back because of this retail aspect of the event. However, there are plenty of vendors and even some good deals to be had. It is a great opportunity to put your hands on the gear you have only read about and climb all over the rigs you dream about. My wife and I spent a long time looking hard at four wheel campers, and this would have been our only chance to do that. You might also be able to have a vendor bring an item with them and save on shipping costs by picking it up at the expo if you are going to be there anyway.
- If you are coming from far away, look up the Appalachian Rendevous which takes place the week prior to the expo. It is in central NC and had 4 wheeling, access to private trails, kayaking (lake usually), camping on site, mountain biking, etc... Best is that you can camp on site for free for the week between the two events.

I think Expo is worth going to at least once. No where else are you going to get to see so much in such a small amount of time. It's like a forum, but in person. Take classes, learn, shop for what you want, and most of all meet some cool folks with some great experiences.

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I wish we had something in Europe like this, but as far as I know we don't :P
I always enjoy the expo vids though :). Everybody who goes there, enjoy!
They do! I believe the worlds largest expo is the Abenteuer und Allrad (spelling?) show in Germany. I watched a video that Andrew St. Pierre White did on it a year or two ago, and it looked amazing. This year's show is in June from the 15th through the 19th... check it out for us stuck state side! :)

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

They do! I believe the worlds largest expo is the Abenteuer und Allrad (spelling?) show in Germany. I watched a video that Andrew St. Pierre White did on it a year or two ago, and it looked amazing. This year's show is in June from the 15th through the 19th... check it out for us stuck state side! :)
I saw it! Robert made a post about it in the Europe part of the forums.. Looked pretty damn cool!.. Pity my June is full of stuff xD few concerts and other stuff already planned.

Reactions: 20DYNAMITE07

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

Very Interested... Caravan from Maine/NH/Northeast would be the plan.

—————————

Hey Now!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I'd love to try to make it this year and would be coming from NE Pennsylvania.