Eric and Jeanette

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Varies
Member #

Great article!
I have two things to add:

First, you missed a frequency band that's very similar to GMRS and CB: MURS - Multi-Use Radio Service, designated by the FCC in the 151 – 154 MHz spectrum range. There isn't a lot of advantages over GMRS, other than it's less used by most folks since the radios are more expensive, since most of what's been available is based on radio companies' commercial lines.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/multi-use-radio-service-murs

Also new are the various data based systems, some of which can mesh to extend their range which operate in various license-free areas of the spectrum. Some of these will carry voice, others just short text messages and location, similar to SMS. All require pairing with a smartphone to operate.

On the market now: Gotenna ( various models, including some that use mesh networking, Gotenna Pro requires an FCC license ) and Beartooth ( text and voice ) in the 900 Mhz ITS band.
In the startup phase: GoTele and Sonnet. Sonnet is the most interesting to me since the price is pretty good ( $89/pair in startup ) and they have some neat options, like an external antenna.

I got a chance to play with a pair of Beartooth radios and found their range to fall very far short of their claims. Voice range of <.1 mile in near line of sight conditions and <.2 miles for text. Line of sight range was better, but failed communications started at .2 miles ( voice ) and .5 miles ( text ).
My full review: http://www.jenericramblings.com/2017/08/20/hands-on-review-of-the-new-beartooth-smartphone-radios/

Curtis2010

Rank III

Advocate II

Panamá
Has anyone used the SPOT device- A satellite tracker device that sends regular signals and also has an SOS function? I am thinking of getting one just because I do head out on my own (i refuse to sit around because there is no one else to go with). Just wondering if it is worth the money. it can be found at www.findmespot.ca (or .com in US)
Meeh, had a SPOT...fundamental problem is that its based on the GlobalStar network...which is niether global nor a star. It not only lacks true global coverage, but also tends to be unreliable. Ive had SPOT fail to deliver messages many times. Also know of a SAR case where many SOS messages were sent and not delivered...bad, very bad.

SPOT is also limited to oneway, unverified, comm.

Sold my SPOT, got an InReach...much happier.
InReach is much better bang for the buck and has two way verified comm and lots of other nifty features. InReach is based on the Iridium network which has true global coverage and is way more reliable.

I use my InReach often (offshore sailing, biking, kayaking, overlanding, etc) and have yet to exceed the basic plan which costs about $17/mo.

The new Garmin InReach Explorer even incorporates a full function GPS.

You can also suspend your InReach plan when not in use for a while. You cant do that on SPOT (at least when I had it).

My 2c, dont waste your money on SPOT.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Sold my SPOT, got an InReach...much happier.
InReach is much better bang for the buck and has two way verified comm and lots of other nifty features. InReach is based on the Iridium network which has true global coverage and is way more reliable.

I use my InReach often (offshore sailing, biking, kayaking, overlanding, etc) and have yet to exceed the basic plan which costs about $17/mo.

The new Garmin InReach Explorer even incorporates a full function GPS.

You can also suspend your InReach plan when not in use for a while. You cant do that on SPOT (at least when I had it).

My 2c, dont waste your money on SPOT.[/QUOTE]

Which InReach Unit would you recommend & why?

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

You might want to check out the ACR ResQlink. Had a Spot and sold it.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Great article. I'm motivated to get my HAM. Thanks.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've heard it's helpful to have a mentor with HAM experience. Are there volunteers out there willing to be a mentor? Don't know what they do exactly but I'm interested in becoming a HAM operator. Thoughts?

Curtis2010

Rank III

Advocate II

Panamá
Nice to see a couple ham radio operators in here + new ppl interested in the amateurs radio hobby, im a ham radio operator from Kuwait, and my rig is equipped ICOM IC-7100 all band mobile transceiver

de 9K2KA

73's

Sent from my SM-G950F using OB Talk mobile app
That is a slick looking little radio. I assume thats just a control head and that the main transiever and tuner are mounted elsewhere?

My experience with HAM/SSB is on boats offshore...big clunky workhorse radios.

Enviado desde mi SM-T820 mediante Tapatalk

Curtis2010

Rank III

Advocate II

Panamá
I've heard it's helpful to have a mentor with HAM experience. Are there volunteers out there willing to be a mentor? Don't know what they do exactly but I'm interested in becoming a HAM operator. Thoughts?
Yes, even after you get your initial license its good to have a mentor for building experience. Basic operation is pretty simple, but there are a lot more technical aspects you can get into.

Ive only used HAM/SSB as a comm tool. Never gotten heavily into it, but there are folks who are serious radio geeks (in a complimentary sense). I expect a few are here on Overland.

ARRL is the primary organization for amatuer HAMs in the USA so its a good place to start. You will find lots of info and learning resources there.

http://www.arrl.org

Last edited:

9K2KA

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Kuwait
Member #

That is a slick looking little radio. I assume thats just a control head and that the main transiever and tuner are mounted elsewhere?

My experience with HAM/SSB is on boats offshore...big clunky workhorse radios.

Yes your right here a pic of the main unit along with ctek dual battery set up and fuse box for all the camping acc. Fridge, lights, and even jump start the main battery

As hams their are 5 classes in the USA of ham licenses as my memory recalls, as here in Kuwait are only 2, and i hold class A which allows me to use HF/6m/VHF/UHF almost all bands

As they said arrl.org is a good start to know what type of license u need and they have alot of materials + exam preparations tests

Reactions: Jimmy P

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thanks for the info. In order to pass the test initially, do you recommend one of the many manuals/ instructional guides out there?

Jeff Blake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I started playing with a free iPhone app. Took a sample test right away and scored 60%... from my understanding the test is pulled from a pool of 300 MC questions, so I think the quickest way to get up to snuff is to keep taking the sample tests until you've nailed all 300 q's by memory. Common sense, a little bit of electrical knowledge, and repetition... I'm guessing a few hours is all you need to ace it.

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I started playing with a free iPhone app. Took a sample test right away and scored 60%... from my understanding the test is pulled from a pool of 300 MC questions, so I think the quickest way to get up to snuff is to keep taking the sample tests until you've nailed all 300 q's by memory. Common sense, a little bit of electrical knowledge, and repetition... I'm guessing a few hours is all you need to ace it.
I didn't have the phone app when I took my test years ago, but same principal, I took an online test over and over agian until I could pass it every time. Then went down and took the test and Aced it.

We did a run 2 weeks ago to Colorado with 18 rigs. Before we left the decision was made that we would use strickly HAM for comms, our last big trip was communication cluster of CB's that didn't work and a few guys running HAM trying to relay back and forth. This trip was a communication dream! Everyone could hear everything, and it made the trip so much easier.

I'm running a cheaper TYT quad band radio in my truck now, it was under 200 bucks but works really well. Programing software was free online and I paid under 10 bucks for a programing cable. I also have a Baofeng as a back up/spotter radio.

Both these radio's will work on the GMRS/FRS frequency bands, but does anyone know what the legality is of using a HAM radio on the GMRS frequencies? Seems like I read someplace the radio was supposed to have some kid of certification to operate on those frequencies.

Jeff Blake

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I have my heart set on that Yaesu 400. Love the remote display. Costs a pretty penny that's for sure.

I suspect if you broadcast on GMRS frequencies, then you need to be licensed to use frequencies (but I have no idea). I can't imagine the type of radio you're using makes a difference.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
I wrote a post on this a while back, but it got modified by admins for FCC legality. In short, Part 95 FRS/GMRS radio services require type accepted hardware which includes antenna, transmit power, and programming limitations. Some refer to it as a gray area, as you're not likely to ever have a problem but legally/technically it's simply illegal to use an amateur radio to transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies.

The old post is here, but most of the relevant useful info was stripped: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/baofeng-radio-configuration-and-methods.3330/