Devin
Last Name
Kleppe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KAR
Service Branch
USMC Veteran
As long as we don’t get flooding and tornadoes I’ll be good. I’m so tired of both[emoji849]
Tulsa is getting hammered with the storms, tornadoes and floods! I hate to see that.

Reactions: Iwata77

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Have you been camping in these temps lately Chili?
Not this year, but I was outside (working on the van and otherwise) pretty much all weekend. I've been intentionally working on acclimatizing to the heat this year. Spending as much time as possible outside or otherwise without AC (windows down vs ac while driving, for example). I'm pretty heat tolerant the years I intentionally do so. I'm only really worried about sleeping, hence the fan. :p

Maybe I leave the lid on the fridge open and blow the fan over the top of it onto me. :p

Reactions: ntx377

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

That's not good. You;re way too close to the river. Stay safe!
I’m okay, it didn’t reach my street in 84 or 86 and they’ve really improved the infrastructure since then especially with the new gathering place park. Just ready to not be soggy.

ntx377

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley View, TX
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Kleppe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KAR
Service Branch
USMC Veteran
Not this year, but I was outside (working on the van and otherwise) pretty much all weekend. I've been intentionally working on acclimatizing to the heat this year. Spending as much time as possible outside or otherwise without AC (windows down vs ac while driving, for example). I'm pretty heat tolerant the years I intentionally do so. I'm only really worried about sleeping, hence the fan. :p

Maybe I leave the lid on the fridge open and blow the fan over the top of it onto me. :p
The last time we were camping was the end of March when we ran part of the OAT and it was 24 degrees overnight. It was just a little chilly in the RTT and outside.

ntx377

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley View, TX
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Kleppe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KAR
Service Branch
USMC Veteran
I’m okay, it didn’t reach my street in 84 or 86 and they’ve really improved the infrastructure since then especially with the new gathering place park. Just ready to not be soggy.
Last October we were at Rendevous in the Ozarks at Byrd's. According to the forecast it was only supposed to rain 1/4" there. It ended up raining for 18 hours and an 1 1/2" to 2".

Iwata77

Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

Last October we were at Rendevous in the Ozarks at Byrd's. According to the forecast it was only supposed to rain 1/4" there. It ended up raining for 18 hours and an 1 1/2" to 2".
Yikes! That’s why I’m leaving enough space so I can sleep in my jeep if need be.

Reactions: Craig M and ntx377

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

If my spot has trees I'll sleep in the hammock, most likely. I figure that will be the coolest option, especially if I can leave off the underquilt. But I will also have my 10x10 EZUP with the Camp Cube, which provides 100sq ft of stand-able space. If it does pour, I can fit at least 8 or so camp chairs for evening cocktails. :p

In fact, it doubles a screen room, so even if not raining will probably good for avoiding the blood suckersIMG_20180714_141920.jpg

Iwata77

Launch Member

Pathfinder II

First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

If my spot has trees I'll sleep in the hammock, most likely. I figure that will be the coolest option, especially if I can leave off the underquilt. But I will also have my 10x10 EZUP with the Camp Cube, which provides 100sq ft of stand-able space. If it does pour, I can fit at least 8 or so camp chairs for evening cocktails. :p

In fact, it doubles a screen room, so even if not raining will probably good for avoiding the blood suckersView attachment 100579
I’m bringing my thermacell to keep the bloodsuckers away.

ntx377

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Valley View, TX
First Name
Devin
Last Name
Kleppe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5KAR
Service Branch
USMC Veteran
When you’re there try to find time to go to the Oark General Store in Oark, AR. It’s about 15 minutes away. Their burgers and fries are great. Friends have told me that their breakfast is also great. Their homemade pies are awesome!

Reactions: Craig M and Iwata77

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
I was there also and it was MISERABLE COLD AND WET LOL...Trying to keep the fire going was fun we slept in 4Runner this trip we are sleeping in the tent. OH BOY!

Reactions: ntx377

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Do those thermacells work well?

We use Off Familycare Smooth and Dry Repellant (multipacks at costco) and I find it very effective, though you do have to reapply every few hours. We have a lot of vegetation around our house, and get really bad mosquitos, and they don't touch me with this stuff on. And it truly does go on dry (not wet or sticky in the slightest) and even smells good. After 14 years at this house, I have yet to find a better spray-on repellent.

Reactions: Iwata77 and ntx377