Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
Don't just get your tech and stop. It is well worth it to get your General License. As you move up in License class more things open up for you.

I would love to see more use of NVIS among Overland travelers. A base, an 8 foot post/mast, four short wires, a tuner and you can cover hundreds if not thousands of square miles. You can communicate even if there are multiple mountain ridges between you and the other party.
Thanks for the advice. I have a few options for Tech coming up. To be honest, I haven't even looked to deep into the prep for General. As much as I have kicked that can down the road, I do consider an absolutely MUST do.

Reactions: GrahamHolmes

Snowwalker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Doncaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE3NLP
Don't just get your tech and stop. It is well worth it to get your General License. As you move up in License class more things open up for you.

I would love to see more use of NVIS among Overland travelers. A base, an 8 foot post/mast, four short wires, a tuner and you can cover hundreds if not thousands of square miles. You can communicate even if there are multiple mountain ridges between you and the other party.
Thanks for the advice. I have a few options for Tech coming up. To be honest, I haven't even looked to deep into the prep for General. As much as I have kicked that can down the road, I do consider an absolutely MUST do.
Well you can order the books on line. JUST make sure the books are current. It should be valid for the question bank from Date a to Date x.
Now think of this... The study manual for an "ENTRY" level license in Canada is about equal to your Tech, General, and a little of the Extra class ( Just a seasoning ) study guides.
Every want to ham, studies and writes the same exam, and then get privileges based on how far above the minimum passing grade they score.
There are two license classes, BASIC( which is divided into BASIC and BASIC +[ W/ Honors] ) and Advanced. To have HF privileges you have to score 80% or above on the Exam for the Basic, the minimal pass mark is 70%.

Tuck1562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lancaster, PA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Krause
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3RQG
Appreciate all the info.. have had GMRS for a while and was recently able to take Ham Tech license test on line... KC3RQG.
Be safe all!

Reactions: SaskSilver17

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

I agree 100%. A tree and 100+ feet of wire will get you a contact on HF...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well you can order the books on line. JUST make sure the books are current. It should be valid for the question bank from Date a to Date x.
Now think of this... The study manual for an "ENTRY" level license in Canada is about equal to your Tech, General, and a little of the Extra class ( Just a seasoning ) study guides.
Every want to ham, studies and writes the same exam, and then get privileges based on how far above the minimum passing grade they score.
There are two license classes, BASIC( which is divided into BASIC and BASIC +[ W/ Honors] ) and Advanced. To have HF privileges you have to score 80% or above on the Exam for the Basic, the minimal pass mark is 70%.
This is only for Canada by the way... in the states we have different licensing rules.

Snowwalker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Doncaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE3NLP
For anyone interested in the NVIS( Near Vertical Incidence Skyway) mode here is a link.

Although they talk about a Dipole, there is a better Antenna sysyem for it. Developed in the 30's.

I would provide a link or two but I don't want to copy and paste a complete PDF file..

GrahamHolmes

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Clemente CA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Holmes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MRJ
I recently got my HAM license and would love to connect with someone who could help me to learn how to use my radio.

GrahamHolmes

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Clemente CA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Holmes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MRJ
I recently got my HAM license and would love to connect with someone who could help me to learn how to use my radio.
What radio do you have and what would you like to do with it?
I have a basic handheld. A Baofeng UV5-R. I am really just looking to communicate out on the trail and for emergencies.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have a basic handheld. A Baofeng UV5-R. I am really just looking to communicate out on the trail and for emergencies.
Program 146.520 (national calling frequency) and 146.460 (Official OB frequency) to VFO A and program the FRS frequencies in VFO B. Chirp makes this easy, and you can use chirp to automatically download repeaters in the area you are traversing through.

Although I would classify the UV5R as my last resort radio after all else has failed... to include smoke signals. Yes they are cheap, yes they work for close proximity, but when you are actually out in the woods the 5 watts really limits its distance without getting a good mobile antenna.

I would look into getting a decent radio from one of the big 3 (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood) if you are wanting to rely on it for emergency use...I found that in some spots 25 watts wasn’t enough to get an SOS out so I have a 110w radio set on Northwest ARES frequencies as well as APRS and have a directional antenna that I can use in case I’m ever in that situation again.

GrahamHolmes

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Clemente CA
First Name
Graham
Last Name
Holmes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MRJ
Program 146.520 (national calling frequency) and 146.460 (Official OB frequency) to VFO A and program the FRS frequencies in VFO B. Chirp makes this easy, and you can use chirp to automatically download repeaters in the area you are traversing through.

Although I would classify the UV5R as my last resort radio after all else has failed... to include smoke signals. Yes they are cheap, yes they work for close proximity, but when you are actually out in the woods the 5 watts really limits its distance without getting a good mobile antenna.

I would look into getting a decent radio from one of the big 3 (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood) if you are wanting to rely on it for emergency use...I found that in some spots 25 watts wasn’t enough to get an SOS out so I have a 110w radio set on Northwest ARES frequencies as well as APRS and have a directional antenna that I can use in case I’m ever in that situation again.
Thank you Mike

Ursa Major

Rank VI

Influencer I

Woodstock, Vermont, United States
First Name
Gunnar
Last Name
Nourse
Member #

Thanks for the info Mike! I've been studying to get me license by the beginning of the year. This a good chance for me to save this post for later lol

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Is there an OB HF frequency?
No, for several reasons; 1) Technicians have very limited HF privileges. 2) Setting up a mobile HF station can become quite complex. 3) Not all bands are desirable for NVIS operations.
May be worth flagging at least 10m SSB as Techs have that.

I also think 10FM and maybe 40/60m SSB May be worth having something flagged. For those out west you can get help outside of Repeater range.