Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

I like it - but then I am an unabashedly positive supporter of OB!! I would buy one - I like the idea of the word cloud on the back and the OB logo on the front pocket/front. What I REALLY like is the challenge coin -- the medallion reminds me of a challenge coin and they are very popular in military/law enforcement and would like to see more in the Overland world.....

Thanks for caring enough to solicit feedback....:grinning:

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It was always special to be handed a challenge coin. It's a small token but makes a huge difference in our efforts to be better. Challenge coins have been cherished by every soldier, sailor, or Marine I ever met.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
It was always special to be handed a challenge coin. It's a small token but makes a huge difference in our efforts to be better. Challenge coins have been cherished by every soldier, sailor, or Marine I ever met.
Can you give me some more information? How were they used? Where were they bought? I like this idea.

M

Reactions: Armentac

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Can you give me some more information? How were they used? Where were they bought? I like this idea.

M
Challenge coins have lots of uses. As identification they are used to present to someone from another unit to show a brotherhood - carrying a coin signifies that you are legit. They are used to trade - before I retired I always carried a couple of coins/patches when I went to out of town workshops to trade with people from other Agencies that collected them as well. As a source of pride they are displayed in holders in mantles and quite often there are special occasion challenge coins, or in the case of a memorial for a slain/fallen member a coin may be made that is a remembrance. There is also the ever popular challenge coin drinking game - the last one to get the coin on the bar buys, or the one in the unit/group that does NOT have a coin with them buys. Often times they are presented as an award - my Sheriff had a special coin made for him that he would give as a special "atta boy" to offer a recognition that was above a verbal well done but short of a formal award.

I would see the OB coin as a collector's item. One that one could retain as a source of pride and maybe even be used, dare I say, in a drinking game -- soft drinks only of course -- much driving to do!!

There are a few uses - I am sure more will share their experience with them as well.

Here are a couple of links on the history of the challenge coin. I am not aware of any of the other sites similar to this that have a coin - a coin could be made for OB as well as your special events like OTG.....just an idea.

http://www.goatlocker.org/resources/cpo/history/cpocoin.htm

http://custom.nwtmint.com/news_challengecoinhistory.php

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I made a comment in the t-shirt thread about challenge coins and some commented on my reference. You can just type into your browser 'military challenge coins' and tons of examples will pop up. There is also a Wikipedia description of history. Essentially, in the military, but also other organizations including police and fire departments, challenge coins are handed out to individual recipients by leadership, management, etc. For example, if a soldier demonstrates a high level of motivation, dedication to safety, acts of safety, or other behavior that should be noticed and rewarded, a coin is handed to them on the spot. Typically, just one or two coins are carried by a company commander, for example, at all times. If he/she recognized an act that needs positive reinforcement, a coin is taken from their pocket and given to the soldier. There is usually a brief exchange like, "Thank you very much soldier, we need more in the troop who look out for others." That's it. To many, coins are more valuable than individual medals because they are given on the spot. No forms requesting the recognition as is the case with medals. The last coin I received in the Army was at Arlington National Cemetary in the Iraq and Afghanistan sections. The aid to a brigadier general approached me and handed me a coin and said, "Thank you for your work helping veterans obtain service dogs." I said, "Thank you." He then walked away. [I was the first Iraq or Afghanistan veteran to receive a service dog for PTSD, and I became somewhat of a Guinea Pig on what not to do when dealing with those suffering with combat PTSD].

I thought challenge coins would be something the OB leadership (yourself, Corrie, and your designies) could give members who demonstrate and act of kindness, promotes safety, etc. I have received on coin since leaving the military and it came from the president of a yacht club. On the coin was an expression of thanks and all the flags that represented the yacht club. So, they are used by many groups to show thanks.

The emblems that you give members are of similar size to challenge coins, they could actually be the same on one side of the coin, the other could be and image and/or words that express gratitude from OB.

That's basically it. I'll be glad to answer any other questions if needed.

Cheers

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Also, regarding challenge coins, you could have more than one design. One could be used as stated, given to recognize a contribution, a second could be sold in your store. Given the quality of the emblems (you likely could use the same vendor) you will sell them. NetDep is right, they are used for trading, collecting, etc. I have several that were given to me, and others I purchased. I personally was never engaged in a drinking game but I could certainly envision it happening.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
Moral patches and challenge coins are both really good ideas. In another thread there was talk on how to keep the culture as this group gains members, and I think this would be a start in doing that. See someone demonstrate values from OB and give them a moral patch or a challenge coin to shore up the behavior. Not only done in the military, or public service, but also private organizations and corporations. I have a challenge coin from the Arizona Rangers, and several moral patches from my employer. Always cool to have something tangible to show off, and a great conversational piece to explain why you have it. Also in some cases, a great way to get a free beer!

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Moral patches and challenge coins are both really good ideas. In another thread there was talk on how to keep the culture as this group gains members, and I think this would be a start in doing that. See someone demonstrate values from OB and give them a moral patch or a challenge coin to shore up the behavior. Not only done in the military, or public service, but also private organizations and corporations. I have a challenge coin from the Arizona Rangers, and several moral patches from my employer. Always cool to have something tangible to show off, and a great conversational piece to explain why you have it. Also in some cases, a great way to get a free beer!
Well said. I completely agree.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
And if anyone out there likes patches and going to off the grid 2 I'll take some of our morale patches and hand some out/ and or trade.
Save one for me. I'd love one. That's kind of you to make the offer.

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army

Armentac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pomona
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Armenta
Member #

Hey all, I'm creating this thread for challenge coins. I think it is an awesome idea, and think we are going to do it. I've moved some relevant topics here.
That's awesome! Can't wait to see what they will look like

Reactions: ce4460

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Two more examples of what can be done with challenge coins. One given to my wife by the Sheriff's Department, the other given by the Commodore of the Olympia WA yacht club.

FullSizeRender.jpg

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Last edited:

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Funny thing I recently got handed a challenge coin by a colonel
Beautiful Coin. What an honor. Would you rather have this coin or another ARCOM (an official Commendation Medal, for the non-military)?