First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all!

Here is more information on the Overland Bound Rig hardware. In this video, I go into great detail on the ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar. This may be ARB specific, but many of the considerations are relevant no matter which bumper you choose!

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I like the ARB bumpers, but man....they are expensive, but that being said "You get what you pay for"

Reactions: Michael

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Watched this last night. May have to watch it again due to my zombie like state.
Arb used to make a similar bumper for my year superduty. I can't seem to find one anymore from them.
There's a good point brought up about testing. There are lots of companys producing bumpers. But how much testing goes into the design? And what kind of testing? I'm no engineer so, is there something else besides having a big slab of steel on the front. Do some bumpers work better with the vehicles crumple zones ? Do they work with the impact sensors for your airbags?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Watched this last night. May have to watch it again due to my zombie like state.
Arb used to make a similar bumper for my year superduty. I can't seem to find one anymore from them.
There's a good point brought up about testing. There are lots of companys producing bumpers. But how much testing goes into the design? And what kind of testing? I'm no engineer so, is there something else besides having a big slab of steel on the front. Do some bumpers work better with the vehicles crumple zones ? Do they work with the impact sensors for your airbags?
MOST airbags use accelerometers, so impact sensors don't matter, but it's best to know for your year and model. ARB replicates the impact and crumple characteristics of stock mounting hardware. Another good trait.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Besides protection, what's the purpose of the pull bar? I like them on some rigs, but I don't like the look for them on the 4th gen 4runner.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I was always under the impression it's for branch deflection. Not sure really though

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
A few here:
  1. Animal deflection
  2. Winch mount
  3. Tow points
  4. Jack points
  5. Antenna mount
  6. Light mount
  7. Limb riser anchor
  8. Place to sit :)

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

This is great that you made this video, conveniently now, because I am in the market for a front bumper. I am taking my sweet time doing research. Thanks a lot for the valuable information and guidance, Michael.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm just finishing a bumper I am building from scratch - it will eventually go on my brother's rig while I work on MkII for myself. While testing is nice, not everyone can afford to build multiple copies of a bumper just to destroy them. An experienced fabricator who knows his materials should be able to help with picking the right steel and building the bracing needed for that level of strength.

We tested my bumper with only half the mounting in place and managed to pick up the entire front end with a crane and saw minimal deflection.