Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Derek
Last Name
F
I didn't see one, so I thought I would start a thread to discuss the new Overland Bound 3-in-1 med kit.

I've been in the market for a good medical kit and was about to build my own when I saw the announcment video last week. I priced out the components (mostly looking at Amazon and NARescue) and found that the components (minus the bag) would cost me about $400. It's not cheap, but it appears to be a good value for what it is - especially with the overland bound member discount.

So I decided to purchase a membership and the kit. There are still a few things that I'll add to it (flashlight, knife, etc) but it seems pretty darn complete. I'm really looking forward to receiving it.

MunsterGeo Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mid West Ireland
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

Chris is eminently qualified and very well experienced. Michael has put a lot of thought in to this and put his practical experience into bringing this to fruition for members.

Well stocked from what I can see with the appropriate items and at a reasonable price too. But like with all toolkits, even those with the best quality tools, they are only as good as the person using them....

Anyone who had done a First Aid course in any respect should keep current with their knowledge and skill set. If a course has a two or three year refresh or requalification period, a person needs to ensure that they know what they think they know a lot sooner than simply when the refresher or requalification date looms. Pick up any course materials issued for a particular course and go through them , especially as you advance along the certification path. You'd be surprised at how the subtle things sometimes get dull in your memory...

Anyone with experience will understand exactly what can be accomplished with a kit like this and to anyone new on their First Aid journey put your trust in what has been presented as when used correctly the contents will help you deal with a situation you may encounter.

You're not going to deal with an MCI (mass casualty incident) with this bag of items, that's not the intention I believe, but you will have a great tool kit for dealing with occurrences out on your adventure.

If every vehicle on a trip carries this or a similarly stocked kit the participants can travel in the knowledge that appropriate kit has been brought. Vehicles can be better packed and money has been spent with the most bang for the buck. There's no point in carrying a "left handed monkey wrench" if everyone in your party is right handed and the space can be better utilised....

Anyone with appropriate training can grab this kit and be confident in the contents for a variety of situations.

I'd just like to point out that apart from being an Overland Bound member that I have no affiliation with Michael, Chris or the supplier of this kit but I really appreciate that the guys have gone to the effort to put together a "no fluff" kit that is genuinely appropriate for the task in hand.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
This kit looks like a killer deal... I am putting it on my spring wishlist.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Here in Europe the cost of the kit once adding in Customs and Freight is restrictive so I decided to make up my own using Chris' ideas and check list then buying the EU equivalents where needed.

As much as I liked Chris' Kit it was the simple the organisation that really attracted me and once I started building my own I found I had much of the kit already just spread over numerous different first aid kits.

So using the 3 in 1 process this is what I have come up with.
I am still waiting on a few things to arrive such as ambu-bag to go with the face mask and I want to add a quality torch and head torch but I'm very happy with what I have come up with.

We still have small First Aid Kits in all our cars and also in the house but this is the grab bag kit for adventure and group trips.

BooBoo Kit.jpgBase Camp Kit.jpgTrauma KIt.jpg3 in 1 KIts and Bag.jpgPacked First Aid Bag.jpg

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

@Polaris Overland i like how you added your blood type to your bag. That’s a very good idea.
While entertaining, having your blood type available will ultimately serve little real world purpose. O Neg blood (universal donor) is kept on hand for emergent hemorrhage events and no U.S. or Canadian institution is going to transfuse you with anything other than that without performing a type and screen (& likely a confirmatory screen).

Reactions: theMightyGoose

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Dr. Solis' recommendations are excellent and practical. Most FAKs attempt to dazzle with gadgets and what amounts to essentially pointless variety. His recommendations are practical, purposeful and guided by real world usage and ability to effect outcome. I strongly recommend his Trauma Kit video as I think it does the unique job of emphasizing that it's really the important basics that make all the difference - gloves and dressings will get you very far. I already have a kit but I would heartily endorse this one to those looking for a ready make alternative. In fact, I intend to reorganize my kit based on his compartmentalization scheme. It's also worth noting that he has put a list of his recommended products out there so you can build your own if you want. Overall, I think this is a very usefull addition to the overland community. Thanks for your efforts Dr. Solis!

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
While entertaining, having your blood type available will ultimately serve little real world purpose. O Neg blood (universal donor) is kept on hand for emergent hemorrhage events and no U.S. or Canadian institution is going to transfuse you with anything other than that without performing a type and screen (& likely a confirmatory screen).
I also have it tattooed in a number of places

BagelVan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Saint Petersburg, FL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Herring
Member #

Has anyone attempted to claim this kit against an HSA or FSA account? Is there documentation that comes along with the purchase showing that it is eligible, similar to a Walgreens receipt for prescriptions?

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I believe Travis from Outer Limit Supply has confirmed that you can use your HSA to purchase this. I do not know if there is any specific documentation.

Reactions: texascrane

texascrane

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Texas
First Name
Derek
Last Name
F
Has anyone attempted to claim this kit against an HSA or FSA account? Is there documentation that comes along with the purchase showing that it is eligible, similar to a Walgreens receipt for prescriptions?
I didn't receive anything with mine but they have a note on the outer limit supply site that it's HSA and FSA eligible me and to email them if you want to claim it.

Reactions: El Solis

BagelVan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Saint Petersburg, FL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Herring
Member #

Thanks for the feedback. I have been playing email tag with them for about 3 weeks. I was looking to get them for the Member price from the Overland Bound store. Purchasing through the OLS store with the OB discount only takes off $20. I will keep at it.

Advocate II

Here in Europe the cost of the kit once adding in Customs and Freight is restrictive so I decided to make up my own using Chris' ideas and check list then buying the EU equivalents where needed.

As much as I liked Chris' Kit it was the simple the organisation that really attracted me and once I started building my own I found I had much of the kit already just spread over numerous different first aid kits.

So using the 3 in 1 process this is what I have come up with.
I am still waiting on a few things to arrive such as ambu-bag to go with the face mask and I want to add a quality torch and head torch but I'm very happy with what I have come up with.

We still have small First Aid Kits in all our cars and also in the house but this is the grab bag kit for adventure and group trips.

View attachment 143133View attachment 143134View attachment 143135View attachment 143136View attachment 143137
Good looking kit!

Reactions: Polaris Overland