Overland Bound 3-in-1 Kit Discussion

• HTML tutorial

Rkbrown

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chino Valley, Arizona
Member #

I just received two of these medical kits. One for work and one for my personal vehicle. The kits is very well put together. I’d really to to see more on how Chris has his organized and compartmentalized. Can anyone add some insight?
Thanks!

Last edited:

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I just received two of these medical kits. One for work and one for my personal vehicle. The kits is very well put together. I’d really to to see more on how Chris has his organized and compartmentalized. Can anyone add some insight?
Thanks!
Hey! Thanks for buying them! I am working on finding time to put together a video on how I recommend you set your kit up. If you can’t wait, check out the video that introduced it and I go through what’s in the kit and you can get a basic layout.
Chris

Rkbrown

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Chino Valley, Arizona
Member #

Hey! Thanks for buying them! I am working on finding time to put together a video on how I recommend you set your kit up. If you can’t wait, check out the video that introduced it and I go through what’s in the kit and you can get a basic layout.
Chris
I look forward to that video. I’ve got a basic idea after watching parts of that video about a dozen times. I continue to be impressed with comparing this setup to other fluff kits on the market. Thank you for adding such a value to our community. I’ll be putting one of my kits to use in my line of work as a police officer/first responder. Next I’m looking to continue And expand my medical training using this kit

ZroCool

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas
First Name
Gene
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Just received my kit and I was following the video to set up my bag. I notice Chris said something about a "pulse ox" is included? Was I suppose to get one of those or is it something that has been purposely left out?

Thanks for your time and effort you put into these kits,
Gene

Last edited:

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
Hello Gene!
Thanks for buying the kit! Due to the COVID-19 situation, there is a shortage of pulse ox devices (same with the hand sanitizer). OLS is working hard to source these. Once available we will be sending them to everyone who didn't get one.

Chris

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

...I am working on finding time to put together a video on how I recommend you set your kit up...
Looking forward to it! You're OB input really spurred me to readdress my FAKs as I haven't really addressed them post kids. You're compartmentalization scheme - while ridiculously simple, is something I just never thought about. A great idea! Keep up the great work. I really think it is a unique addition to the outdoor community.

ZroCool

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas
First Name
Gene
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Hello Gene!
Thanks for buying the kit! Due to the COVID-19 situation, there is a shortage of pulse ox devices (same with the hand sanitizer). OLS is working hard to source these. Once available we will be sending them to everyone who didn't get one.

Chris

Thanks,

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Excellent kit.. I JUST took my First Aid course a month ago and now I see this.. Unfortunately, the kits are sold out. Do you know when they'll be available again? Its a great kit and looks to be better than the kit my instructor recommended..

Reactions: M Rose

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

@Polaris Overland i like how you added your blood type to your bag. That’s a very good idea.
For what it's worth, hospitals will never give you blood without first doing their own type-test, regardless of what you put on your gear. And they can do the test very quickly. So don't stress out if you don't have your blood type labeled somewhere on your gear.

Reactions: RainGoat

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
For what it's worth, hospitals will never give you blood without first doing their own type-test, regardless of what you put on your gear. And they can do the test very quickly. So don't stress out if you don't have your blood type labeled somewhere on your gear.
They won’t waste their time testing my bloody type... it’s already documented in my medical files, on my DL, and on my VA card.... I was making a comment to @Polaris Overland , because I knew exactly why and where he got the idea to put his blood type onto his bag. Some habits never die.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
This is mostly true. we can give blood (O neg to everyone, O pos to men) without knowing your blood type in an emergency. But we won’t give you type specific blood without testing it first, that is correct. For military applications where they may not have the ability to test or are considering direct transfusion (person to person) having your blood type known and shown is beneficial.

LndXrsr

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cincinnati
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
A
Member #

Emergency Med doc with a background teaching wilderness medicine courses here. Have several med kits already, mostly for day hike and backcountry trips, but wanted to say this looks like a fantastic setup, especially for someone who doesn't feel great about creating their own. The price, especially with a red sturdy bag included, and even more especially at the member price is a great deal.

As always, make sure any meds in the kit stay within their expiration limits, especially aspirin. Check items that require sterile packaging at least annually and replace as needed.

I'll be making a similar kit for my new overlanding rig, probably heavily based off this design. Nice work Chris.

Pete E

Rank 0

Contributor I

North Wales
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Evans
Here in Europe the cost of the kit once adding in Customs and Freight is restrictive so I decided to make up my own using Chris' ideas and check list then buying the EU equivalents where needed.

As much as I liked Chris' Kit it was the simple the organisation that really attracted me and once I started building my own I found I had much of the kit already just spread over numerous different first aid kits.

So using the 3 in 1 process this is what I have come up with.
I am still waiting on a few things to arrive such as ambu-bag to go with the face mask and I want to add a quality torch and head torch but I'm very happy with what I have come up with.

We still have small First Aid Kits in all our cars and also in the house but this is the grab bag kit for adventure and group trips.

View attachment 143133View attachment 143134View attachment 143135View attachment 143136View attachment 143137
I very much like that kit and would like to ask what pack you are using for it?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for the recommendations here. Very helpful!

Maybe an idea: I added a sign to my medical first aid kit which shows that this box is a first aid kit. So everyone could easily find it in a case of emergency. There are the signs according to the ISO standard 7010 which could be useful here.

Stay healthy,
Bjoern

ZroCool

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas
First Name
Gene
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Hello Gene!

Chris

Any Updates on these?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Added some more stickers to the rig, so that everybody knows where to find the first aid kit and the fire extinguisher/ fire blanket

Maybe a good idea also for others?!

Bjoern

Reactions: TxJeeper75