Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Very nice build! Love the interior and the roof rack, you're makin me think my van could use one. Haven't seen many high tops w/ a roof rack
It's pretty handy for things I don't want inside, but it's so high (10') that I kind of need to climb halfway up and have my wife hand me the stuff I'm putting up there. I really need to get cracking on the back bumper/spare mount, so I can get the spare off the rack. Get some weight down lower, and easier if I get a flat.

AJ's in Hillsboro, Or. built the rack for us. They have a standard flat top rack, or they build the high top racks specific for each build. They'll do custom work if you want something particular (like the front light arrangement on mine).

Reactions: Built By Fluffy

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

So, here's the rack, etc. Drove it about 550 miles home, no problems.

Felt a little squirrely at first, but a tire pressure adjustment calmed it right down.

8500 pounds all in, right at 10' at the top of the rack.
That’s pretty sweet all In for weight, I’m sitting at 8900 full wet & trip ready.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

That’s pretty sweet all In for weight, I’m sitting at 8900 full wet & trip ready.
Thanks. Obviously I'm not completely finished with everything yet, but getting closer. Once I build the bumpers, get the awning and winch, and build the rear gas tank, I think it will be more like 9000.

I'm a little stumped, I've been trying to keep the weight pretty even front to rear, but it's 400 heavier in the back now (4100/4500). The rear fuel tank and rear mounted kitchen box will make that worse.

Guess that's a first-world problem though.

Reactions: MSD

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Thanks. Obviously I'm not completely finished with everything yet, but getting closer. Once I build the bumpers, get the awning and winch, and build the rear gas tank, I think it will be more like 9000.

I'm a little stumped, I've been trying to keep the weight pretty even front to rear, but it's 400 heavier in the back now (4100/4500). The rear fuel tank and rear mounted kitchen box will make that worse.

Guess that's a first-world problem though.
We are the same 4320 front, 4580 rear. I’m having Alcan spring build new springs all the way round to deal with the changes. The Atlas springs that Ujoint used to use just couldn’t handle the weight. For us the added rear weight is tires carrier, bumper, water tank & house batteries, plus bench seat that folds into lower bed. But over it still is really well balanced. Looking forward to seeing the difference with the Alcan springs on all 4 corners once installed, I had to add 2.5” lift blocks in the rear after our last trip because the rear springs are so shot.

Reactions: loper

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

I'm going back to the 4X4 shop the 22nd to get some upgraded radius arm mounts, and they're replacing the front coils with heavier springs & air bags. In my opinion, the front is just not stiff enough (hits the bump stops a lot on rough ground).

Let me know how the Alcan spring deal goes, that's definitely on my list. I have blocks in the back now, and I'd rather just have more spring arch.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Well, 22 September fell through for us, so we had to postpone to the 10th of this month.
A.J.'s swapped out heavier springs, air bags, redesigned radius arm mounts, and updated (later F350-style) track bar.
Since we were mid-trip, Art and the crew pushed hard to get us in and out in 5 hours. Worked through lunch, even.

The radius arm mounts are really beefy and lower the pivot points 2" for better caster figures. This is something I discussed with Art after our initial build. He welcomes and uses feedback like that.

The change in the track bar reduces bump steer, better roll center, and seems stronger (less severe angle).

The stiffer springs and airbags made a huge difference. Earlier in this thread I said the van weighed 8500# all in. Well, there's been some changes since then. Loaded, both of us, full water and fuel, it's sitting at 9150. 4300 front/4850 rear. The front was "squishy", to say the least.

Results?
First immediate thing is it sets a little over an inch higher in the front (haven't measured it).
Does NOT bottom out on the bump stops now (it was living there before).
I can comfortably go around corners 5 MPH higher than they are posted (before it was no more than the posted speed, and hang on at that).
One hand, relaxed steering at the speed limit on two lane backroads (had to constantly work at it before).
I have been wrangling trying to get a sway bar to work with the van frame/pick up axle. Don't need it now.

So, was the initial build bad? I don't think so. I just kept adding weight and exceeded the spring rate. I put changing the design geometry of the radius arms and track bar down to product improvement based on customer feedback. Customer satisfaction and support is critical to Art, and he treated me more than fair on this upgrade.

I was going to build a set of bumpers, with a winch mount front and dual swing arms in the back, but my welding and fabrication is limited to steel. Given the current weight concerns, looks like I'm going to have to pony up for Aluminess (ouch).

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Made a little more progress. Stuck some bushwacker flares on, and hung an aluminess bumper.
Not very artistic pictures, just working at the house, but this was that sort of weekend.
Did get the new adventure beasts out and let them check things out. Easing them into things so they'll be OK with trips.
20230212_154456.jpg20230212_154515.jpg20230212_155548.jpg

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Love that kitchen box. Wish something would work like that in my rig.
There are a lot of swing arm options out there, maybe you could make something work for you. Then you could just whip up a box that fits your purposes.

Reactions: A Duffield

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Well, now we have a real awning instead of a tarp, and we have a propane furnace for cold weather.

Bought a 23 Zero 270 awning. Had to make brackets because the rack slopes in, and I wanted to mount the awning flat.

Installed a Propex HS 2211 under the floor with ducts to bring the supply and return through the floor right behind the driver's seat. Works like a champ, got to try it in some 30 degree temps last weekend.

Attachments

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

Well, now we have a real awning instead of a tarp, and we have a propane furnace for cold weather.

Bought a 23 Zero 270 awning. Had to make brackets because the rack slopes in, and I wanted to mount the awning flat.

Installed a Propex HS 2211 under the floor with ducts to bring the supply and return through the floor right behind the driver's seat. Works like a champ, got to try it in some 30 degree temps last weekend.
Looking good. That 270 makes me want one now . Heater is a game changer for winter camping.