Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
My wife and I completed a 13,000 three month trip to Alaska and Canada this past summer. My article on the trip on the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse was just published in TCT Magazine.

My latest article was published ,ARCTIC ADVENTURES IN A VINTAGE LAND CRUISER, in TCT Magazine. Page 46.

Enjoy and I look forward to your comments.

https://badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com/2018/12/22/my-latest-article-in-tct-magazine/
I have a ton of questions. We are planning our trip now. We plan to leave May 20th. I was not able to access your article. Would it be possible for us to communicate via email?

If so, CraigTreanor@bellsouth.net

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Did you click on the link Arctic Adventures in a vintage land Cruiser ?
Got it. It downloaded instead of opening. Reading it now.

Thank you,
Craig

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
I loved it. Thank you for writing the article. I mined a lot of good advice. Can't wait to leave!

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Good Comms: CB, HAM, GMRS, & FRS. (Overkill)
No SATCOM yet.

1) How did you get your "bear protection " through Canada?
2) What kind of food did you take north of the border? Any issues with Canadian Customs?
3) Were you overwhelmed by insects at all?

Already packing,
Craig & Suni Green or
Stickman & The Witness

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
We brought an ATT phone . Only used it once. We have Verizon and it worked everywhere just be sure to turn on your Canada service. We also had an InReach and Iridium phone.

It is easy to bring long guns through Canada. just do all the paperwork. using a firearm is not allowed for self defense against animals in Canada. You can mail handguns to yourself in Alaska and then mail them back.

You can bring bear spray into Canada. We brought bear spray and a couple of air horns . The first Canadian Tire we saw we bought a couple of "bear bangers" . A pen flare that shoots a noise maker.

We bought too much food . Too many canned goods. . There is plenty of food along the way . Food is very expensive in Canada so if you have a fridge stock up on steaks and chicken. Chicken was $6.00 a pound when we went through.

The mosquitoes were not that bad. We had head nets , mosquito coils (Canadian Tire), repellent and Thermacells . We only needed the headnets once the three months and that was for flys.

What is your route?

Reactions: Nickzero

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
We brought an ATT phone . Only used it once. We have Verizon and it worked everywhere just be sure to turn on your Canada service. We also had an InReach and Iridium phone.

It is easy to bring long guns through Canada. just do all the paperwork. using a firearm is not allowed for self defense against animals in Canada. You can mail handguns to yourself in Alaska and then mail them back.

You can bring bear spray into Canada. We brought bear spray and a couple of air horns . The first Canadian Tire we saw we bought a couple of "bear bangers" . A pen flare that shoots a noise maker.

We bought too much food . Too many canned goods. . There is plenty of food along the way . Food is very expensive in Canada so if you have a fridge stock up on steaks and chicken. Chicken was $6.00 a pound when we went through.

The mosquitoes were not that bad. We had head nets , mosquito coils (Canadian Tire), repellent and Thermacells . We only needed the headnets once the three months and that was for flys.

What is your route?
Generally from Memphis, TN, to Glacier NP, thru Bannf, then winging it from there. We dont have a timelinee to follow, so qe can take our time. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Would also appreciate a list of your "lessons learned".

I loved your comparison to the "sand box" I retired USAF in 2011 after last deployment.

1) How did you keep warm at night?
2) Can you take pre-cooked meals across border? We cook and then vacuum seal. Boil to heat and eat.

Best,
Craig

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Oh yea, we will most likely start long term planning of a trip with of the border. Let us know if you might be interested. Safety in numbers.

Reactions: mep1811

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Oh yea, we will most likely start long term planning of a trip with of the border. Let us know if you might be interested. Safety in numbers.
South of the border

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

My wife and I completed a 13,000 three month trip to Alaska and Canada this past summer. My article on the trip on the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse was just published in TCT Magazine.

My latest article was published ,ARCTIC ADVENTURES IN A VINTAGE LAND CRUISER, in TCT Magazine. Page 46.

Enjoy and I look forward to your comments.

https://badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com/2018/12/22/my-latest-article-in-tct-magazine/
I did follow most of your IG post throughout your trip to Alaska. Hopefully I can attempt our trip soon.

Also, it’s good to meet you at Expo East.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Generally from Memphis, TN, to Glacier NP, thru Bannf, then winging it from there. We dont have a timelinee to follow, so qe can take our time. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Would also appreciate a list of your "lessons learned".

I loved your comparison to the "sand box" I retired USAF in 2011 after last deployment.

1) How did you keep warm at night?
2) Can you take pre-cooked meals across border? We cook and then vacuum seal. Boil to heat and eat.

Best,
Craig
Well once you get to Dawson Creek it is the Alcan all the way. Since you are not on a schedule you will have a great trip. We planned 30-45 days and it turned out to be 90 days . I recommend stopping at all the visitor centers. They are a great resource of the history of the area but also where to camp. Free wifi and great restrooms. We found several awesome campsites as a result of the visitors center stop.

I was a contract military CT, CIED, ROL adviser in Iraq and AFG for a few years so the comparison was obvious.

We went during summer so it was not very cold . The coldest we saw was in the low 30's in Banff . We were lucky with the weather. What kind of rig are you driving ? How are you camping?

I don't see any issue with precooked meals . Canadian Customs are interested in fruits and GUNS . They ask how long and why are you going to be in Canada. Ans: Two weeks on our way to Alaska. We crossed at a small POE in Montana , Carway East of the more common crossing of Sweetgrass.

Look up Watson lake Sign forest and you might want to make a sign to add to the forest.

Reactions: ob4838 and Stickman

Julio

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glen Head, NY
First Name
Julio
Last Name
Busse
Member #

My wife and I were talking about a trip similarly. N.Y. to Deadhorse. We still talking. :)

Reactions: Stickman

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have a ton of questions. We are planning our trip now. We plan to leave May 20th. I was not able to access your article. Would it be possible for us to communicate via email?

If so, CraigTreanor@bellsouth.net
A big, big safety concern, travel at night is to be avoided, unless you have aux lighting, and then cautionary. This is because of animals on the road. If doing the trip during the winter months, or early spring, carry extra fuel. Many places are seasonal, and you can't rely on places being open. Also reduced hours come into play! My company suggested, err...almost mandated, that we keep the tank full, by topping off at every opportunity. Plan your fuel stops and expected mileage. Be conservative in your planning, and get some input from locals in the more remote areas. They will know the road conditions.

On a side-note: Sirus XM stops working as you get further North, due to satellite shadow, and positioning. The last 30 miles to Juneau Alaska, thru the hills (from Canada) demonstrated that-very well.

Being May, you should be okay, but check. Hopefully some on here can chime in with better advise than i have. My partner and I did it in December. At the time, Wolves had killed some dogs only 12 miles from Deadhorse, so if camping in tents or with pets, keep that in mind. Having a firearm means travel thru Canada, and permits and restrictions apply. Do not try to bypass that, as customs can be hit or miss, and if they find one, they won't care that you came from the lower 48, and are going to Alaska.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickman

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Traveling with long guns is easy in Canada. I had my 45/70 and 12ga with me. I was reminded , at the border that the use of a firearm for protection against an wild animal was strictly prohibited in Canada. I shipped my pistols from Montana and picked them up in Tok, Ak. On the way back , I shipped them back to Montana from Tok on the way back.