Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Join the Overland Trail Guides crew for our annual Xmas Tree hunt in Mendocino National Forest. This is a family friendly event and we encourage those of you with kids to bring them out! We'll camp at the same location each night, and during the day, people have the option to hang out at camp, explore the surrounding trails, and of course go harvest your Xmas tree. Exact location and GPX files can be found in the original forum post.

Meetup Location
This is a basecamp style event, so we are meeting and staying at camp, which is Bear Creek Campground in Mendocino NF (gpx files below). You're welcome to head out first thing on Friday morning and arrive early, or if you've got work, feel free to roll in late Friday night (Saturday works too!). I should be on site sometime between 7-8pm as I'll be leaving after picking up my 6yo from school at 3pm.

Tree Permits
Your best bet for tree permits is to call the Upper Lake Grocery and reserve one over the phone.
(707) 275-4018

Campfires
It's going to be chilly at night. If you have room, please bring firewood and/or a chainsaw. We'll likely be keeping the fire going during daylight hours as well.

Directions

4x4s Coming from the Bay Area

Take all roads to Upper Lake, CA and then follow the gpx track to Bear Creek Campground (about an hour from Upper Lake). You will cross the Rice Fork, which is running deeper than usual this time of year (last reports were about 2'). Several stock 4x4s made the crossing last week without issue, so don't be alarmed when you reach the creek after dark.

4x4 route gpx: GaiaGPS - Mendo NF - Bear Creek

AWD Vehicles
Take all roads to Maxwell, CA and then follow the gpx track. You'll take the well graded dirt road M10 for most of the way and will cross Bear Creek when nearing the campground, which is much smaller and shallower than Rice Fork and can be easily crossed by AWD vehicles.

AWD route gpx: GaiaGPS - Bear Creek M10

Sacramento Valley
You have the option of coming in from either route above, but the AWD vehicle route is likely slightly faster. If you prefer to take the 4x4 route, take Hwy 20 east to Upper Lake.

Last edited:

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Please note, as of the time of the Rally Point creation there is a known bug with the Rally Point app that OB is aware of. If you would like to attend, please post a reply saying so. Due to space constraints, participation is capped at 25 rigs.

marinasf

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Marina
Last Name
Midori
Member #

Thanks for the invitation! I don't have an off-road capable vehicle right now and I have commitments that weekend. Hopefully, this spring, I'll have something.

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
Can you post the tally so far? I was not aware of a bug in the system. Thank you