On the fence - push me over: buy or build a skottle?

• HTML tutorial

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

For those of us on the SE area of the US we have these things called Agri Supply. Can get one of these and just use it on the burner you probably already have. It is on my list but I haven't made it up that way yet.

Reactions: Sparksalot

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Made a disk cooker today ..... cooked dinner for me and the wife . I think I’m going to like this thing.
Had all the steel laying around, using my MSR whisper light for heat.
That looks great! Both the skottle and the food:)

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Can get discs at tractor supply also but have
to weld on own handles as well as weld hole in middle. Can just weld some couplings to the bottom and attach legs and use horseshoe and bailing wire to hold up one burner with propane attached. Much cheaper than Skottle

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Can get discs at tractor supply also but have
to weld on own handles as well as weld hole in middle. Can just weld some couplings to the bottom and attach legs and use horseshoe and bailing wire to hold up one burner with propane attached. Much cheaper than Skottle
I wasn't even planning to mess with legs on my disk. A burner like this should be good for it to sit upon.

pawnbroker

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SC, USA
First Name
BLAKE
Last Name
TEAGUE
So I decided to build one and save the money. I also wanted to make it a little better . I built it from items I got off amazon . 100% Amazon . Total cost was just over 100.00. I did have to get out my welder and use it . My welding skills aren’t great but work .

Attachments

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Nice use of the preexisting threaded leg holes for your horseshoe holder. First picture had me wondering why you didn't just extend the legs. :grinning: My welding skills aren't that great either. I can make metal stick together though, amazing what a grinder will hide.

Reactions: Wilson123

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

So I decided to build one and save the money. I also wanted to make it a little better . I built it from items I got off amazon . 100% Amazon . Total cost was just over 100.00. I did have to get out my welder and use it . My welding skills aren’t great but work .
You did a wonderful job! It looks great!

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
How do you guys store these and keep them from rusting? My brother gave me one he made and I can’t keep the thing clean or from rusting. I treat it with oil and keep it in a nylon Christmas wreath storage bag but it just isn’t working out. I keep everything in the trailer so we’re ready to go, but I may have to re-think that with the disc.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I did the same seasoning process I use for cast iron. It’s worked so far.

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
Bayou Classic 7488 17" Cast Iron Campfire Griddle
1587232885639.png
Just bought this, haven't used it yet but it looks good, heavy and might work OK. Amazon $26.42

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Interesting.

@Mrprotaganist has a skottle, and swears by giving it a coat of olive oil after use. that may work for your disk?
For me, I think the way I store it is the cause of the rust issue, but I don’t know that it’s really seasoned well either. I thought the nylon bag would be good for keeping it dry and rust free. It appears it lets moisture in and won’t let it out. When I pulled it out the first time this year it was pretty rusty. In hind sight I should have brought it in for the winter. I cleaned it up, oiled it well and put it away a few weeks ago. Now I just took it out and it was still oily, but rusty again. I had to clean the oil off before I could sand it clean. It may be I just can’t leave it in the trailer, but I thought I’d ask the group if they had any storage ideas.

Reactions: Sparksalot

NJ5

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Colorado
First Name
NJ
Last Name
Jordan
I'd like to see what the OP came up with, from different angles if possible.
I never really cooked anything until I got a single-burner (butane); coffee in the mornings was a game changer and got me into heating soups and water for ramen. I'm now considering better meals on trail, and a diy skottle might be next for me.

Last edited:

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I took a break from the current Jeep drawer project yesterday to make a skottle for my best friend. Took about 2 hours and old disc blade that I got from my brother. This one is for setting in coals or on a camp stove/BBQ. Next one will be for me with legs and a bracket for a single burner propane stove.
For the time and money, I would say build.

KIMG0218.JPG

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
For me, I think the way I store it is the cause of the rust issue, but I don’t know that it’s really seasoned well either. I thought the nylon bag would be good for keeping it dry and rust free. It appears it lets moisture in and won’t let it out. When I pulled it out the first time this year it was pretty rusty. In hind sight I should have brought it in for the winter. I cleaned it up, oiled it well and put it away a few weeks ago. Now I just took it out and it was still oily, but rusty again. I had to clean the oil off before I could sand it clean. It may be I just can’t leave it in the trailer, but I thought I’d ask the group if they had any storage ideas.
Mine is sitting in the open in my garage. I’ll probably just use an old pillow case on it to keep the dust off and not trap moisture.

MozSteele

Rank III

Contributor III

West New York NJ
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Reading this thread brought back a super funny memory for me.
In South Africa the original Skottle was produced by Cadac and it consisted of a tube, threaded on one end, that screwed into your valve of the gas tank / bottle and basically was the stand. You then placed the burner assembly onto the tube and lit the burner.
So this must have been 1986, I think - we were camping on the Keurbooms River near Plettenberg Bay South Africa - and one evening we watched this "newbie" camper arrive and set up.
Out came his brand new Skottle Braai and the guy proceeded to screw the tube onto the gas bottle - he diverged a bit from the lighting instructions and proceeded to open the valve and lite the gas gushing out of the tube. The flames, I swear to God, were shooting 30 ft plus into the air . He now tried placing the burner assembly onto the "flamethrower" - Sorry to say we sat there watching in total stitches for 10 minutes while he tried to figure this one out.

And no, $350 for a skottle is daylight robbery - but I'd pay 350 to witness that one again for sure LMAO.

Attachments

jonald

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Jonald
Last Name
Gradwohl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7KWY
For those of us on the SE area of the US we have these things called Agri Supply. Can get one of these and just use it on the burner you probably already have. It is on my list but I haven't made it up that way yet.
You went where my mind was. What's the difference between a skottle and a wok with a single burner stove?

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
You went where my mind was. What's the difference between a skottle and a wok with a single burner stove?
A wok is general pretty thin and doesn’t hold heat. A skittle or other disk is thicker and holds heat better. Other than that, there’s no difference

Influencer II

West Hills, Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Twomey
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I ordered the Bayou Classic 7488 17" Campfire Griddle, was around $27.00. Place this over a single burner propane stove and you have just saved around $200 - $300 dollars,
Now the legs might be a little short to sit over the single burner here is a clip I found on YouTube of a simple fix . These leg extenstions will cost less than $10.00. In the end you will have a Skottle and gas money for the next Overland trip.