On the fence - push me over: buy or build a skottle?

• HTML tutorial

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
Totally a first-world moment here. :wink:

I'm waffling on whether I should just buy a new Skottle (love the idea, would get over the price/don't like the price)...or if I should build a Skottle (I like building things (I build guitars), price is much better).

I tend to prefer things to be "just right", so opening a box with a new Skottle checks that box for me. That said, it's not beneath me to try to match what "they" build (that's what got me started building guitars).

Buying one is fast/easy. Building one is slow/fun...

Sigh. Oh, and I really like the cooking part... :grinning:

Which way should I fall?

Reactions: Big G and Wilson123

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

If you have the tools and desire, I would say try to build your own. If you don't like it, you can always buy one.
Personally, I like to build things. So I scored some old 15" and 20" disc blades from my brother. Going to build 2 skottles and 3 discadas for my friends and myself.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

If you have the tools and desire, I would say try to build your own. If you don't like it, you can always buy one.
Personally, I like to build things. So I scored some old 15" and 20" disc blades from my brother. Going to build 2 skottles and 3 discadas for my friends and myself.
I like where you are going with this.... Keep us posted on your progress with pictures, please.

Reactions: sportsguy

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Sounds like you should flip a coin :tearsofjoy:

Personally, I purchased a used one, and they do pop up pretty frequently, and it was a little more than half of the new price. However, if I hadn't found the used one I probably would have just continued to use my Jetboil stove, as the Skottle was one of those items that I struggled to buy new/full price. I'm weird like that....some things I'm super cheap on, others I'm not. I'm usually all about instant gratification, and will pay for it, in most cases, but I was ok with searching for a used Skottle to save money. If I would have had the desire/knowledge to build one myself, I would have went that route. I'm just rambling at this point, but hopefully it helps lol.

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
Sounds like you should flip a coin :tearsofjoy:

Personally, I purchased a used one, and they do pop up pretty frequently, and it was a little more than half of the new price. However, if I hadn't found the used one I probably would have just continued to use my Jetboil stove, as the Skottle was one of those items that I struggled to buy new/full price. I'm weird like that....some things I'm super cheap on, others I'm not. I'm usually all about instant gratification, and will pay for it, in most cases, but I was ok with searching for a used Skottle to save money. If I would have had the desire/knowledge to build one myself, I would have went that route. I'm just rambling at this point, but hopefully it helps lol.
I fully understand where you're coming from. In fact, now I want to go stalk eBay...and a few forums...LOL

Reactions: sabjku

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
OK, I'm building...impatient and can't be bothers spending the extra money right now...LOL Plus, this should be a fun project. :grinning:

After dropping my Amazon credit card credits against the Bayou Classic 17" discada, the Coleman burner and a carry bag for the kit, I'm into this for $22 so far. (Regular price for those three items would be $85.)

TSC has the horseshoe, so that's handy and cheap. Lowe's or Home Depot will have sundry other bits pretty cheap to build out the legs and fashion a burner holder.

Sadly, no one local to me has the discada in stock - most don't even carry the item: HD, Lowes, TSC, Ace Hardware, B&B DoITCenters, Walmart - zip...

Looks like Amazon wins again, and the disc itself will be the last item to arrive, on January 3rd, apparently...

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Totally a first-world moment here. :wink:

I'm waffling on whether I should just buy a new Skottle (love the idea, would get over the price/don't like the price)...or if I should build a Skottle (I like building things (I build guitars), price is much better).

I tend to prefer things to be "just right", so opening a box with a new Skottle checks that box for me. That said, it's not beneath me to try to match what "they" build (that's what got me started building guitars).

Buying one is fast/easy. Building one is slow/fun...

Sigh. Oh, and I really like the cooking part... :grinning:

Which way should I fall?
We built ours, much better and cheaper! Can use as either tall or table top version the way we built legs. Do what makes you happier. They are great to cook on!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Please keep us updated on your progress, there have been lots of threads regarding building on but nothing really from start to finish.

On a side not I bought a used one and would not be without it. Great tool.

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Plow Disc Cooking

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
If I had the know how, I would have built mine. But I bought one at Overland Expo West 2 years ago on a deal and been loving my Tembo Tusk Skottle. That and my Jetboil is about all I bring for cooking on anymore.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I just looked at some YouTube videos and realized there may be some sort of learning curve depending on how you normally cook. For me I am used to holding the handle of a pan to toss the food around. The skottle looks like a wok and by habit I’d want to grab the side of the skottle lol. In this case if you have the skills make your own and save $340+.

Reactions: Wilson123

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't make up their mind :laughing:. I always waiver between just spending the money to get what I want or saving the money by building/doing it myself in order to save the money for something else I want. And there is ALWAYS something else I want...

I love cooking and really love cooking using different methods and different types of cookers. I'm a little worried this would be novel at first and then end up with all my other stuff I no longer bring along.

How many of you that have these, home made or not, have replaced your other cookers with the Skottle?

Wilson123

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rowlett, TX, USA
First Name
Carol
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't make up their mind :laughing:. I always waiver between just spending the money to get what I want or saving the money by building/doing it myself in order to save the money for something else I want. And there is ALWAYS something else I want...

I love cooking and really love cooking using different methods and different types of cookers. I'm a little worried this would be novel at first and then end up with all my other stuff I no longer bring along.

How many of you that have these, home made or not, have replaced your other cookers with the Skottle?
I take my discada/cowboy wok with me every time, can cook everything with it. Still take my Coleman stove and grate for fire if grilling steaks as like that grilled flavor on those. But always use for at least a couple of meals if out for few days.

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI

Big part of the reason I chose to build - if I skuttle the skottle in the long run, much less of an investment! :grinning:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Build it (which it seems you are doing) and put the left over money in the gas tank :D