On the fence - push me over: buy or build a skottle?

• HTML tutorial

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I just wanted something new. I have a nice 18" carbon steel paella pan that gets plenty of use. The different shape of the disc has interested me. It has a very slight dish about 6 inches in diameter in the center and the rest is just like the others posted in this thread.

Reactions: sportsguy

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI

Attachments

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
I’ll do up a how-to post later. But we have a discottle now. Adjustable feet for leveling (legs are 36” long), removable shelf (height adjustable, slightly), legs are completely removable and screw into the existing holes, so you can still use this over a camp fire with the regular stainless steel legs it comes with. Haven’t cooked anything yet, and we’re going out for dinner this evening, so a test will need to wait for tomorrow. We’ll see if this is worth it. All in, I’m sitting at about $100 - $110...BUT my actual costs were offset due to having some Amazon Points that knocked about $66 of my total cost down. Personally, my actual cost on this is thus closer to $50 right now...which helps none of YOU, I realize. :wink:

Attachments

Reactions: Wallygator

Seanm26

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lynden, WA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Moore
Member #

First you cut out a piece of steel to fill the hole in the middle.

20200107_185931.jpg

The you sand off as much as the surface junk as you can.

20200107_190819.jpg

Then you use a borrowed, under-powered 115V stick welder to cram as many 6013 rods as you can in there. Immediately grind everything as smooth as possible without taking a picture beforehand because this is your first time ever using an arc welder and it looks ATROCIOUS. I realize now i should have ground the edges at a bevel before welding with something to weak.

20200107_193659.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to weld on a couple horseshoe handles with the MIG at work.

Tumbleweed

Rank 0

Contributor I

Mtn Home, Idaho
First Name
Don
Last Name
Burton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WL7IQ
I used a 60 grit flap disc to clean mine up. For seasoning, I put mine on the BBQ to heat it until it quit smoking. Then removed it, reoiled it and did it again. Those discs are high carbon steel and will kill a sanding disc pretty fast. This pic is how I did my first disc. The wide flatbar is a wind screen, it is removeable. The horseshoe has a small spacer in the "U" to make it wide enough for the stove. I have made another discada out of the Bayou Classic disc.STP60900 (1).JPGSTP60900 (1).JPG

Last edited:

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I TOTALLY appreciate any level of artistic ability & those guitars are certainly a work of art!!! I'll never build a guitar, but I might just take a crack at building a Skottle… Looking forward to seeing what you did.

Reactions: sportsguy

Rockland213

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sidney ohio
First Name
Rocky
Last Name
Anderson
Made a disk cooker today ..... cooked dinner for me and the wife . I think I’m going to like this thing.
Had all the steel laying around, using my MSR whisper light for heat.

Attachments