Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan
First Name
John
Last Name
Rogers
Member #

Here is a pix today near home at Camp Dick, Colorado. Elevation 8753 ft. I made a pot of Hazelnut coffee and some hot soup. I am working on a polished diamond plate backing behind and to the side of the stove to keep thing clean. I am also making the mounts for the propane grill so it will mount on the side of the trailer.

Love that you built this from scratch. me on the other hand bought a pre built trailer to start with . Looks great...

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Love that you built this from scratch. me on the other hand bought a pre built trailer to start with . Looks great...
What ever works. I am an engineer and can't stop designing, and I am a tightwad.

If I had started with a trailer, I might have had more time and gotten done sooner. My biggest problem was that life kept getting in the way.

Last edited:

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Very nice. Great build!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

k9sar

Local Expert, Georgia USA

Enthusiast III

Rydal, GA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4EKF
"I have rethought completely manufacturing these, but I am thinking about a redesign utilizing aluminum framing with custom extrusions, doing prefab sections, gathering all the parts, writing an assembly manual, develop an online support site, and putting together a "kit" for someone mildly competent. It also saves a ton on shipping. With all the parts cut, the walls, top, and hatch fabricated ready to go together, my thoughts are it could be assembled and finished in about two to three months."

Very Interested if you get this off the ground!

ottsville

Rank 0

Traveler I

VA
I've been reading builds over on Expo and somehow ended up here checking yours out. Very nice build and love your jack design!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

This is a very cool build! Thanks for sharing from down south in Colorado Springs.

Overland A Far

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocky Mountain House, Alberta
Member #

My PIA Engineer self, wanted to build a hitch that could handle all the extreme angles required. A standard trailer hitch ball just does not provide enough movement for the places I go. Many people use a military style pintle hitch but I don’t like the noise and sharp shock you get with those, so I developed a rubber shock isolated section into the hitch.

It works flawlessly and you really don’t feel the trailer at all. It also provides significant security if you have to leave your trailer somewhere because it simply won’t hook up to anything else.

If you look at the hitch, it is a significant distance from the ground to match the Jeep. By flipping the goose neck over, it lowers the hitch lever to where it will work on a compact car.

Next was to put a floor on the trailer. I used outdoor OSB and hit the bottom side with an alcohol primer and then a coat of rubberized undercoating before screwing it down on the frame.
You are quite a craftsman - be proud of your unit!

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
This is an awesome project, you did a great job.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Got really frustrated. I ordered my electronically controlled forced diesel powered heater for the trailer. It got delivered from China. The only problem is that they delivered to Tennessee instead of Colorado. Hope to have it here by Thanksgiving so I can get it installed while I am home for 8 days. This working on one side of the country and living on the other really cuts down on how much you can do and how often you can get out. I have a ton of things/upgrades I purchased while here in DC and really have the itch to dig in when I get home. I hope to have at least one overnighter over Thanksgiving and a two or three nighter over Christmas.

Last edited:

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

That is one beautiful trailer!
Here is a pix today near home at Camp Dick, Colorado. Elevation 8753 ft. I made a pot of Hazelnut coffee and some hot soup. I am working on a polished diamond plate backing behind and to the side of the stove to keep thing clean. I am also making the mounts for the propane grill so it will mount on the side of the trailer.