Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

My '89 Cherokee is a daily driver for 9 months of the year and sees occasional use in the winter. We just returned from a week long camping trip with it and are about to go on another one.

I also have an '88 Comanche that sees the same kind of use as the above except for the camping. I tow my utility trailer with it and use it for day trips when kayaking (among other things).

I also have an '03 TJ and an '04 LJ ... but they're "new". They see year round use and they're great in the snow! These are all I have so they're all I drive.

Last edited:

Contributor I

Franklin, NH, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hartzell
it guarantees there won't be a computer.
probably comes with cast iron instead of cast aluminium.
means everything will be visible and open simplifying maintenance.

back when things were designed to be easily repaired.
View attachment 110306
Everything I've seen for videos of people using vehicles with carbs, the vehicle stalls out on slants and inclines.

Reactions: PCO6

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Everything I've seen for videos of people using vehicles with carbs, the vehicle stalls out on slants and inclines.
This is very true. If you want to run a carb, you need to have a carb designed for off road, or modified. If you run an American V8, they make a "Off Road" carb for them.
Guys that are really into radical off road stuff will convert the engine to Propane, it does not care what side you keep up, it is under pressure and will work no matter what. The engine will starve for oil, but the engine will keep running till it seizes up.
For normal trail runs, mild off road stuff, a carb is fine though. Only rather steep inclines and side hills will give you problems.
Each carb will be different, but once you get past a certain point, the fuel overflows the bowls and you flood out, or it runs the bowl dry and it starves for fuel and dies. Either way it stops running and you have to get back to level ground to get it going again.

Contributor I

Franklin, NH, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hartzell
I didn't know they made off road carbs. Have heard of using propane before but I had assumed that to be like running a drag car. Good for one Hill climb and then you have to give it a rest. Thank you for all the info, very helpful.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Not if you're going fast enough! lol. This is me back in the mid '70s. I'm the guy on the bottom. I don't remember the guy on top stalling out but I have to admit that my mind was on other things. The rules for the class I was in said that we had to run VW carbs. They looked like that but everyone filled them with Weber parts. We used to run these things up and down some pretty steep hills and get them air borne. I can't say they never stalled but they also got going pretty quickly.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Not if you're going fast enough! lol. This is me back in the mid '70s. I'm the guy on the bottom. I don't remember the guy on top stalling out but I have to admit that my mind was on other things. The rules for the class I was in said that we had to run VW carbs. They looked like that but everyone filled them with Weber parts. We used to run these things up and down some pretty steep hills and get them air borne. I can't say they never stalled but they also got going pretty quickly.

The smaller carbs like the Solex 30 pict2 and the 32 pict 3 used on VWs are great off road. Tons of them in use on Baja's, sand rails, dune buggies, etc. Due to the smaller size and design, they worked well in steep driving. They had a small fuel bowl and a tall vent.
They are also very simple with very few parts, like the rest of the car they come on.

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Scout

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The GMC hood designs in the 60-66 trucks have never done it for me, but I have always wanted to tinker with the big GMC V6 engine.
I have always wanted a pickup powered by the 305 (or was the big one only a 302?) GMC V6, parked next to one powered by a 4-53T...

Reactions: KonzaLander

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
That has been my experience with them.

Whoop-de-dos on an incline were a PITA with my old Suburban. There was a steep "road" (more cow trail than road) that made a nice short-cut home, but it always made me wish for fuel injection. An EMP is about the only thing that could make me want to go back to a carburetor.

Reactions: RedneckRanger7MM

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Never had a problem with my carb. Stock Toyota carb on the original 20r engine. I’m not doing anything extreme, but it handles hills and altitude fine. I had it up over 10,000 feet in the Sierras last month, and it was fine. Just took a bit longer to warm up, but after that it ran just fine.F3C7A87C-D7DD-4CCA-9D54-30BEE1AF9F3F.jpeg Due to California emissions requirements, I have about 37 miles of vacuum hoses on the engine.0E564D20-C0A5-487B-AC25-B10CCA7B576E.jpeg 1980 was the last year of the 20R engine in Toyota pickups, the 22R made it’s debut in 1981.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Here is one motor that you don’t see much any more, sure ran great! Can you name this motor? All the above vehicles had carburetors! Vance.
CF515B3D-EC5D-4565-AE55-06401A526AFB.jpeg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Is it a Kaiser Dauntless V6 (basically a Buick)? Looks like what I had in my long gone '69 CJ5. They're a great little engine.
I am reworking a V6 Dauntless now for a CJ-6 build I am doing for my brother. I am anxious to get it running because I'm told they sound like little tractors and for some reason the odd firing order contributes to its sound.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I am reworking a V6 Dauntless now for a CJ-6 build I am doing for my brother. I am anxious to get it running because I'm told they sound like little tractors and for some reason the odd firing order contributes to its sound.
HeliSniper,
Yes, you are right about what motor! They do have there own sound for sure! They are a great off-road motor with the torque produced at a low rpm! My CJ5 is a 1970. I sold it, but was one that I sure wish I would have kept! Again, I have had and played with many, all 4x4. Vance.3D93DB83-DB75-47E5-B97A-0CF31587DCE0.jpeg72152D33-5C84-49AF-B563-506A1A5BB578.jpeg78405FF8-D596-4A4E-922C-727E1A11BD1E.jpeg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

HeliSniper,
Yes, you are right about what motor! They do have there own sound for sure! They are a great off-road motor with the torque produced at a low rpm! My CJ5 is a 1970. I sold it, but was one that I sure wish I would have kept! Again, I have had and played with many, all 4x4. Vance.View attachment 110632View attachment 110633View attachment 110634
I liked the engine in my '69 CJ5 but my most vivid memory was of the clutch. Among other things I plowed snow with mine in the early '70s while I was in college. It was either in or out with a very heavy pedal in between. It was a workout for sure ... and I was young then!