Old mines, ghost towns, etc......

• HTML tutorial

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

there is this weird old commune that we found. about 20 buildings, all very cool. no saving any of them though. last people there were about 10 years ago. foundation stone in the aluminum tent building says 1981. pretty creepy, and lots of rat crap everywhere. thought i'd share some pics.

check out a more detailed trip report here..
http://ryanstalesofadventure.blogspot.ca/2015/10/an-adventure-to-very-cool-place.html

this one was 2 stories. cool stone foundation.

we called this one triangle house, for some reason

this we we call the boat housh or the old lady shoe house

this one showed signs of being used the most recently. all aluminum plates as siding. old newpaper inkings on them all.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

there is this weird old commune that we found. about 20 buildings, all very cool. no saving any of them though. last people there were about 10 years ago. foundation stone in the aluminum tent building says 1981. pretty creepy, and lots of rat crap everywhere. thought i'd share some pics.
That's really weird. The one we found behind Rock Creek was pretty much plowed under by the time we located it. It had apparently been a commune for migrants from Central America years ago. The feds cleared them out and the dope growers moved in for awhile.
Their is some weird stuff out there in the bushes for sure.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I have found a few old homes and barns around our area of the north Rockies. Didn't find anything to unusual.
Now that I am retired I want to head to the southwest and see what I can come up with from tailings piles and washes.

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

I seem to have this unhealthy obsession for searching out old mines, abandoned buildings, old rail beds, and stuff like that. Much to my Wife's dismay I can smell a 100 year old tailing pile from a mile away, and am drawn to grown over rail beds like a bee to honey.
Lucky for me, I live in an area with a very rich history of mining. I've spent many a day dragging my Wife along to find yet another "hole in the ground" as she calls them.
To me, aside from the obvious interest in looking and touching the old relics of days gone by, is the fascination of how these men lived and earned a dollar all those years ago.
Anyways, here's a few pictures from various adventures out to locate some lost history.
I am the same way brother :) I work in a soon to be 100-year-old theater. And yes it is haunted, I have heard and seen things at night when I am closing by myself. The girls hate it, I love it! But I have been a fan of the paranormal for years, worked on radio shows (online & mainstream), worked as a producer on a couple national shows - so yes, bring it!!! ;)

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I am the same way brother :) I work in a soon to be 100-year-old theater. And yes it is haunted, I have heard and seen things at night when I am closing by myself. The girls hate it, I love it! But I have been a fan of the paranormal for years, worked on radio shows (online & mainstream), worked as a producer on a couple national shows - so yes, bring it!!! ;)
Another Art Bell fan??

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Another Art Bell fan??
Art Bell, and a few others. A lot more out there now, then when I was on-air. A buddy of mine and I started a network in the UK, the "Dream Network". We had paranormal shows on there (by other hosts), including our selves.
We hosted a show which was picked up as a summer replacement in 2010 on CBS, mainly northeastern part of the US. The funny thing was part of that agreement, put us on one of the affiliate stations here in the Seattle metro area - just happened to be one of my old radio stations, that I had worked for from 1992 - '97...

Reactions: Old Griz

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Diamond City in Colville Natl. Forest , northeast Washington. We were going to setup camp and hike around to find the other structures, but my dog found some human poop and toilet paper 15ft from the firepit and decided to roll in it and try to eat it. We washed him off in the creek but decided to find somewhere else to camp.
Bring a damn shovel asshole.
IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0485.JPG

Attachments

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

I love old abandoned ghost towns. This one is Poinsettia NV. A good fiend of mine has been keeping it from falling apart by adding new/old roofing. He actually went in with a couple friends and bought the mine claim so they can keep it as it is.

I took my girls there last fall to introduce them to the pure silence of the desert and how cool it is to explore abandoned buildings and fun stuff like shooting guns and lighting fireworks too. If anyone was a quick read I did a little blog post on it: "Daddy Daughter Adventures - Suggestions for Success"

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Finding abandoned mines, logging camps, towns or just equipment out in the wilderness is one of the reasons I am into overlanding. Finding stuff like this is second only to simply getting out and enjoying the world. Keep the photos coming guys, I dont get out much these days and need to live vicariously through you!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Those are some awesome pictures, i too love old rail beds and the tale they tell. It makes you really think about where,why they were built. If i remember right....don't quote me, the high point of trackage laid down was over a million miles, maybe 2?, and in the era of WW I at its height. The PRR might have had almost 1 million by itself. Remember this was before the model T, and practically every little town had a spur line to it.

Reactions: 9Mike2

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Absolutely awesome spots. I thought some of the first pics were in BC, and I see I was right :D

I'm planning on a big expedition to the northwest of BC, near the tip of the Alaska Panhandle late this summer to explore three ghost towns up there. You can count me in as one who absolutely can't get enough ghost towns, abandoned buildings and the like. I'm totally fascinated with them. My wife doesn't get it either lol