First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

This is our first Expo West OLB planning thread! We'll be there and look forward to connecting with folks!

There will be an official Rally point for the caravan there once we finalize our plans (there are also some new features in Rally Point coming up that I want to use - waypoints!).

NEEDED: Is there anyone who can show up early and establish a general OLB camp area? It's not going to be perfect. OEW does not reserve camping spots, but we are able to designate an area once we are there. We want to be inviting to all while letting them know OLB will be in this general area. We can work with you to get flags and other material to hang to indicate we will be there, but we CANNOT (and don't want to) tell people they are not welcome or not able to be in the area. Hence, not perfect. The best way to get together to camp, for those that would like to, is to show up as early as possible.

We will be leaving at O-dark thirty from the Dublin, CA area, and would love to caravan along with folks.

M

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

This was a timely thread. I was just checking into the feasibility of going this year (my first time) and did a search to see if anyone on here was going. I'm afraid I would not be much help in setting up an area for OLB to use, but I'm interested in finding out more of what everyone plans to do there and where they are staying.

Reactions: Michael

Chris M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nv.
Hey all,

This is our first Expo West OLB planning thread! We'll be there and look forward to connecting with folks!

There will be an official Rally point for the caravan there once we finalize our plans (there are also some new features in Rally Point coming up that I want to use - waypoints!).

NEEDED: Is there anyone who can show up early and establish a general OLB camp area? It's not going to be perfect. OEW does not reserve camping spots, but we are able to designate an area once we are there. We want to be inviting to all while letting them know OLB will be in this general area. We can work with you to get flags and other material to hang to indicate we will be there, but we CANNOT (and don't want to) tell people they are not welcome or not able to be in the area. Hence, not perfect. The best way to get together to camp, for those that would like to, is to show up as early as possible.

We will be leaving at O-dark thirty from the Dublin, CA area, and would love to caravan along with folks.

M
I’m in for a convoy to expo west. How do I stay connected with this plan of caravaning up there? I also would not be of much help getting set up early. Where you planning on leaving Friday?

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I’m in for a convoy to expo west. How do I stay connected with this plan of caravaning up there? I also would not be of much help getting set up early. Where you planning on leaving Friday?
We added functionality to Rally Point to add "Expo West" caravans so people can caravan from all over the country. Watch the Rally Point Map! You can also stay connected in the "Overland Bound Meetups thread - that is where we will announce our caravan! Cheers! Look forward to seeing you!

M

Reactions: Chris M.

Chris M.

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nv.
We added functionality to Rally Point to add "Expo West" caravans so people can caravan from all over the country. Watch the Rally Point Map! You can also stay connected in the "Overland Bound Meetups thread - that is where we will announce our caravan! Cheers! Look forward to seeing you!

M
Sweet thanks I will keep a close eye on the rally point and meetup thread. I also just joined the overland bound west Facebook group.

Miller8152

Rank IV

Advocate III

Moorpark, CA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
Hey all,

M
Hi Michael,

The wife, rugrat, and I are headed out early on March 17th from Moorpark, CA (Los Angeles Area) and will be camping overnight into the start day (18th) of the expo. We bought the "Overland Experience" for the classes and perks, and we should be at the Campgrounds around 1 PM Thursday ...so we will be getting an early start. We look forward to meeting other members at the expo. :)

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

I am probably the closest member to the expo. Let me know if I can help organize anything. you can also mail anything like OLB banners or flags or such to my house for others to pick up.
Cheers,
Scott

thejoking__explorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver Co
Member #

I will most likely be headed to OEW. I won’t be of much help getting set up early. This is my first time so looking forward to meeting new people.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I'm going this year, :sunglasses:, leaving Thursday, 17th oh, say 9~ish from Southern Cal, southbay area.

Probably can meet up with others along the way, google says it will take me 8 hours, likely longer towing a trailer and stopping for stuff.

Won't be there early enough to get the primo spot but I'll be on the lookout for others.

Keep an eye out for me, I'll be on Ham 146.520 or 146.460 if you see me on the road.

80_under_a_bridge.jpg

Dan.

Ohio_Grown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Athens Ohio
Member #

My father and I are heading out on the 14th from Ohio and will be spending Wednesday exploring the surrounding area. We plan on being there when the gates open on Thursday. We would be willing to help in anyway possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montazuma

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
This year, we have collaborated with Overland Expo 2018 WEST to create a specific Rally Point for Expo West Caravan's. It will create a thread in the forums, a shareable announcement, and have a special icon on the Member Map!

Image 10.jpg

You do not need to be an Overland Bound Member to use this version of Rally Point, so anyone can create one.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and enjoy!

Our Bay Area Departure Rally Point: Bay Area Overland Expo 2018 WEST Rally Point

To create an Overland Expo Caravan:

Overland Expo 2018 WEST

Since this is a new feature, please let us know if you run into any issues and we will help out!

Michael

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
The family and i will be heading up early as well and are happy to help set up a collective camp spot. We're coming up from southern AZ so we'll be able to get there early. Might even head up the night before and camp out somewhere else just to be ready to get in line.

ndamico

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
D'Amico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TBF
Ted and I will be exhibiting in booth B16 for Overland Pros. We are leaving Sacramento Thursday morning. We also have ham on 146.460.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

TimsterAZ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson, Arizona
Member #

Brien, Iet me know how I can help with the trip up from Tucson. Can also leave on Wednesday evening, but working till about 5ish. Let me know, looking forward to meeting everyone!! Tim OB#8081

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

K6VCC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA
Member #

My buddy and I are planning to start heading out Wednesday evening. We’re based in San Jose, CA. We’d love to join the caravan. 0 dark thirty... 12:30AM? Thursday or Wednesday? I’d be happy to help out.

As for communication, we’ll be running with our HAM radio. I have a spare HT if someone needs it. Yes I know it’s bad form if someone uses it without a license. As long as they’re respectful I won’t complain. [emoji4]

OB#5141
K6VCC

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk