Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

New to Oklahoma, tornado sirens going off last night in OKC made me rethink this move. I like to camp in the spring, I doubt my tent is suitable shelter, what do the locals do while exploring?
Local weather forecasters are usually pretty good about predicting the severe storm potential a week out. You can either follow the cautions or roll the dice.

OkieDavid

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Guthrie, Oklahoma
Member #

New to Oklahoma, tornado sirens going off last night in OKC made me rethink this move. I like to camp in the spring, I doubt my tent is suitable shelter, what do the locals do while exploring?
Believe or not, you get used to it. I've tent camped in a lot of bad weather, my first ever backpack in SE Oklahoma had tornadoes nearby. 30 years later and I hardly notice it. It's kind of like lightening, you don't want to ignore it, but there is not a lot you can do except be aware. I don't let it really change my plans.

Jwhitney1320

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Bixby, OK, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The sirens will happen quite regularly. Most of the time it’s either precautionary or a small tornado that won’t do significant damage.

But there are a few….. we just won’t speak of those lol

NorCalRay

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ray
Last Name
Gordon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
No Ham yet
We've been to a few offroad parks in OK but mostly tend to head to AR to the forest roads. We've hit several in the ouachitas but I hear the Ozarks have better wheeling.
Yeah we haven’t ventured over there yet. We recently moved here from Northern California, great wheeling there!

Reactions: Ryan Ewbank

Maul Crawler

Rank IV

Explorer I

Chapin, Lexington County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Copeland
Member #

Oh yeah, I'm jealous lol closest you might find to that here might be Disney on Grand Lake or maybe Crossbar Ranch in Davis OK...still won't be as good. I've got a few more things I need to finish on the jeep before it's ready to go back out but I hope to round up a small group to go camp and explore the Ozarks this summer.

Reactions: Ryan Ewbank