Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Hello everyone new member here. Just starting to get into overlanding now that my kids are getting older. Looking at a few different vehicles to buy to go offroading with and camp in.
Welcome! Yes research is your best friend. The two biggest (in my opinion) competitors in the overlanding world are Jeep and Toyota. I feel (as a jeep owner) personally Toyota edges out. If a truck is what you need a Tacoma is a good go to, a tundra for bigger and heavier hauling, Suvs you have 4 runner and landcruiser as the go to. If you want a little more luxury you can go with the Lexus versions of the toyota SUVs. For me when the time (finances) are right I will be looking for a 100 series landcruiser or LX470. but to each their own. It comes down to need, budget, and preference. Good luck and again welcome!

Reactions: r_horner

Grindstone

Rank 0

Contributor II

Mustang, OK, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
M
OK folks a month after putting out the feeler I finally have a concrete date. We are looking at meeting on the morning of Saturday April 11th for the trail/ranch run cost of the run will be 20 dollars per vehicle. Those that want to camp overnight can do so at the campground previously mentioned for 15$ for primitive or car camping, let me know if you are wanting to use a camper and I will find out the price. The ranch owner has asked for a 10 vehicle limit for this first trial run and may open up to additional runs and or additional vehicles in the future depending on how this goes. Again any questions let me know and I will try to get a definitive answer fairly quickly as the date is rapidly approaching. Also I know everyone that has shown some intrest in the past, but now I need a solid confirmation of those that will attend, and how many vehicles (for those that bring family or friends) will be doing the run.

Many thanks, Roben
For the sake of gauging interest, I cannot make this run, but would be interested in future runs once I get sliders within the next few months. Otherwise my Tacoma is a stock Pro.

I'd suggest throwing up a post on the Oklahoma TacomWorld section, theres a few folks who would be interested for sure there.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I am aware of the current concerns going on around the world. At this point due to lack of commitment/interest, and the general safety of any and all involved I am thinking that the event needs to be postponed until a later date when the world is not freaking out and running out of TP.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I am aware of the current concerns going on around the world. At this point due to lack of commitment/interest, and the general safety of any and all involved I am thinking that the event needs to be postponed until a later date when the world is not freaking out and running out of TP.
You might also consider making a dedicated post and/or Rally Point as the audience in this thread may be somewhat limiting.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Hey everyone! I'm a new to OB and I've posted in the main new members post but was advised to check out the SW threads. I'm in Oklahoma and I'm excited to see so many others in OK! Seems like it's been hard to find other Overlanders in OK but I'm also a little new to overlanding.
Welcome from Ada!

there are a few of us around here, hopefully get a meetup scheduled for everyone sometime soon. I was really looking forward to getting out, then everything started closing hahahaha

Betsy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Glencoe, Payne County, OK, USA
First Name
Betsy
Last Name
Matlock
Member #

Welcome from Ada!

there are a few of us around here, hopefully get a meetup scheduled for everyone sometime soon. I was really looking forward to getting out, then everything started closing hahahaha
I wish I had joined when meetups were really happening instead of being delayed, postponed or cancelled because of COVID. I'll be thrilled to join in when it all picks up again. We were able to make it out to Lake Texoma this last weekend to an "isolated" tent spot... I say "isolated" because it was the only tent spot that didn't have a tent spot right next to it but it was in no way "off the beaten path", unfortunately. But it got us out of the house and that was nice! We're thinking about camping again this weekend. The TravelOK website has a pretty updated, comprehensive list of open state park campsites that I've been watching. Anything to get out of this house! Lol

Reactions: Oklamopar

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I wish I had joined when meetups were really happening instead of being delayed, postponed or cancelled because of COVID. I'll be thrilled to join in when it all picks up again. We were able to make it out to Lake Texoma this last weekend to an "isolated" tent spot... I say "isolated" because it was the only tent spot that didn't have a tent spot right next to it but it was in no way "off the beaten path", unfortunately. But it got us out of the house and that was nice! We're thinking about camping again this weekend. The TravelOK website has a pretty updated, comprehensive list of open state park campsites that I've been watching. Anything to get out of this house! Lol
That’s good to know. I have vacation scheduled in May. Looking like we are camping/venturing along the OAT. Just have to find open locations to camp along it. Lol

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

This may be a silly question, but I'm not familiar with "OAT". Can you tell me what that is?
It’s the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. From what I’ve found about it, it was originally routed/developed by some adventure bike riders on another forum. I got the .gpx files for it and have it routed in gaia(navigation app if not familiar).

there are some threads about it on here in various places. A few of us have done some of it, however, not together. Just when we got bored and drive off for a day trip.

it appears to be the backroads way around the state, hitting the interesting stuff along the way.

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #