Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I am waiting on Tinker AFB to officially hire me and then we will be moving out there within the next couple of months. I just hope that they offer me the position before the Denver job does. I need to take the first one that "shows me the money". I have been searching the internet for things to do in the OKC area and I was pretty pleased with what I saw/read.
Ps. Isn't it funny to see Oklahoma listed in the SouthWest region?

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
Agree Oklahoma in the southwest region is funny. .get a chance checkout little Sahara and disney oklahoma..I retired out of Tinker AFB ...good luck on the job keep us posted

Reactions: SEMPERLIBERI

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I know that there used to be some great 4 wheeling down in the southeast OK area - Clayton. Before the logging companies shut it down we would travel there from San Antonio. Texas is all private property so you can only go to the beach or to an Off Road Park. Before 9/11, Fort Hood was the best place in Texas to go out wheeling on the weekends.
I am so ready to head out to OKC, especially before we hit the 100 degree mark here.

Reactions: SEMPERLIBERI

87comanche

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

oklahoma city
Member #

cool to see so many folk here in oklahoma that are overland bound members awesome! Myself i go down to se okla and eastern okla never been to disney yet someday i'll make my way up there . need to go down to the k-trail again soon haven't been there in two years , been playing around the ouachita national forest more as of late , like the camping out there and riding the trails on the mountian bike .

Iwata77

US Multi Region Local Expert OK,KS, MO, AR, TX
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Tulsa, Tulsa County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Kate
Last Name
Iwata
Member #

cool to see so many folk here in oklahoma that are overland bound members awesome! Myself i go down to se okla and eastern okla never been to disney yet someday i'll make my way up there . need to go down to the k-trail again soon haven't been there in two years , been playing around the ouachita national forest more as of late , like the camping out there and riding the trails on the mountian bike .
K trail is on my list! There's just never enough time in the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone

W5ADH

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blanchard, OK
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Hailey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5ADH
< From Blanchard. New here and to overlanding. Just getting interested in it and it looks like it'll be some good times

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
A Comanche? Sweet ride.. I used to wheel with a guy in Turkey that had one and they were so cool - mainly because it is so rare to see one on the road much less the trails.

SamGramWK05

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Newcastle, Oklahoma
Member #

Hey it's Sam from Newcastle. New to overlanding but not to camping and fishing. I'm currently building my house and when it's complete will start on improving my rig. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Iwata77

Pathogen

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Payne
Member #

Service Branch
EMT-Basic
Hey guys I'm Brenton, from Broken Arrow. New to overlanding but I've rode plenty of ATV trails growing up, hopefully I'll be going back to Colorado with my family this summer to drive the mining trails around Silverton and Ouray. I want to run the K-trail sometime this fall but don't really have a group to go with so anyone planning a trip and has room for another truck or two (I have a buddy with a Bronco that might want to go) let me know.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

The K trail is private lands so it would be trespassing to drive it. I doubt you'd get into trouble but I found out a few months ago AFTER I'd already driven it. I know Clayton to Three Sticks is for sure. Im not sure about Three Sticks to Mena, AR. I'd be willing to drive it anyway if someone created a group trip.

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche

Reactions: SamGramWK05

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

The K trail is private lands so it would be trespassing to drive it. I doubt you'd get into trouble but I found out a few months ago AFTER I'd already driven it. I know Clayton to Three Sticks is for sure. Im not sure about Three Sticks to Mena, AR. I'd be willing to drive it anyway if someone created a group trip.

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche
Original post discussing some of the private land use issues.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/kiamichi-trail-psa.5182/#post-79823

This is a half truth. from the fire watch tower EAST is fair game. from the fire watch tower WEST is private lands. It's the west start point county (Pushmataha County) game warden that seems to be having a "fuss" about it from what I gathered reading the different things.

There are currently conflicting OK laws that say you have to have a "private property sign" at every entrance to your land and every so many feet, then there is another law that contradicts it and says you don't. Here is some research I did on it when someone posted about it before.

I read this a few days ago posted on some random jeep site that popped up in my news feed on face book. And I say, take it with a grain of salt, as with everything on the internet.

Oklahoma has weird laws on whether or not you need private property no trespass signs, and it depends on land use. Oklahoma DOES require signs; unless it is agricultural land, none of which the Ktrail runs through ( farming, ranching, or forestry purposes) what the k-trail runs through, from what I gather and understand, it is hunting land.... OK HB2984 (passed in 2006) states that for the agriculutural land, no sign is needed. However OK Staute 21-1835 (passed in 2014) specifically states "Property that is fenced or not fenced must have such signs placed conspicuously and at all places where entry to the property is normally expected."

I've seen other places cite the following, but did not reference any specific law. "OKLAHOMA: Signs are required at all entrances and all corners and at 200 yard intervals along property lines.

There's a lot of mystery around that portion of the K-trail as people have always been going back and forth saying you can, you can't run it, you need a permit, etc etc.

If I ever run the K-trail (would be from east to west, so I'll just turn around and go back when needed), I'll just call and find out for myself.

This literally only applies to like 10% of the entire trail anyways...

"it's on the internet... it must be true."

Reactions: Veggie Man

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Original post discussing some of the private land use issues.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/kiamichi-trail-psa.5182/#post-79823

This is a half truth. from the fire watch tower EAST is fair game. from the fire watch tower WEST is private lands. It's the west start point county (Pushmataha County) game warden that seems to be having a "fuss" about it from what I gathered reading the different things.

There are currently conflicting OK laws that say you have to have a "private property sign" at every entrance to your land and every so many feet, then there is another law that contradicts it and says you don't. Here is some research I did on it when someone posted about it before.
This makes it clear as mud. from what I remember there are a lot of private property signs from Clayton to the fire tower. I would think that 1) I would stay on the road and 2) I would err on the side of caution. That said, I would drive it again if anyone were interested in going. I have not had a chance to do the route from Three Sticks to Mena yet so I am still looking for the opportunity.

Reactions: Zheking

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

This makes it clear as mud. from what I remember there are a lot of private property signs from Clayton to the fire tower. I would think that 1) I would stay on the road and 2) I would err on the side of caution. That said, I would drive it again if anyone were interested in going. I have not had a chance to do the route from Three Sticks to Mena yet so I am still looking for the opportunity.
Lol the K-trail has always been clear as mud. I know 100% the watch tower east is fine because it's the Ouachita NF. Which is why I would run east to west, then just stop and turn around if I saw a private property sign.

Reactions: Veggie Man

UnderPressure

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Okc
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5YRP
weather is getting nice out. Anyone done anything fun in over landing the state?